Another oddity from warplanes of the First World War. Designed as a fighter pre synchronising gear the idea was that the observer could stand up to wield the single Lewis gun. I think it looks wonderfully quirky so fits the collection perfectly.

resized_3f7a37e7-53a2-45b1-8d7f-201dfe91

The Sage.

resized_9408463c-b937-432b-b6ee-604e6398First order of business some working 1/48 scale drawings.

As I’m committed to getting my KUTA builds and 109s done ( hopefully) this side of Christmas I think this will be a comparatively slow build, but as 2022 is looking like I’ll be building a lot of kits for GBs I thought I’d get at least one scratch build in to the bench.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, matti64 said:

would you like me to send youa photocopy of  the drawing from the SPIN kit?

there might also be a cross and cockade article on  the aircraft too...

Thanks for the offer couldn’t do any harm. 

resized_6b12e473-1f46-4a18-9e5a-dadbf97fPlastic has been cut. I’ll mold the nose, cupola and spinner and maybe the turtledeck. Wings and tail will be shaped and skinned in ruled 20 thou for rub detail. Wheels will be home made resin items and I should have a suitable four blade prop in the spares box.

Some woodwork next I think.

• Like 3

resized_0bb1f221-2134-44cf-929e-972a019aStarted on the fuselage and shaping the flying surfaces, which are now almost ready for skinning.if it looks a bit short that’s because it needs about 40mm more of nose. I’ll probably start on the woodwork later on today,

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

bd81491d-3d26-406f-833f-050347627944.jpeStarting on the woodwork, these are the blanks for the spinner and the nose.

dbdb1849-1e09-4590-95f6-efe8423da86c.jpeAfter a bit of sanding the blanks are done.

0a59d834-79cd-4819-acba-e787a89d14be.jpeThe upper section of the cupola. Laminated 20 thou. I’ll PVA  glue some clear sheet inside it for the lower section and then PVA on some plastic strip for the frames.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

On 09/12/2021 at 15:38, Marklo said:

Eek, now I feel the world is watching :) 

Try being being me, I have the whole Galaxy watching my builds! The mods are forever having to delete some of the posts from Vogon members.

This is a wonderfully barking mad subject and you have got off to a flying start.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

resized_65a29ff4-8adb-45b9-b658-8c4b7c59Wings and tail skinned trimmed and diehedral set, I put a brass rod through the center section of both wings then scored the blanks so I could bend them after the skin was on. Everything is dry fitted for final adjustments.

The  cupola needs a bit more trimming, then it’s probably time for the interior.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Martian said:

You're not related to Clunk by any chance are you?

Not the last time I checked but I have traced my great great great and then a few extra great grandparents as coming from East Prussia in the British census of 1870.