"Ein letztes Mal ?" Tiger 1 mid prduction - Panzer Division Müncheberg - Tamiya - 1/35

Friends, good evening,

As you know, I'm working on a U-Boat diorama, but that did not prevent me from making some parallel assemblies, to clear my mind. Well once again, I'm deviating from the sub to build a land monster, arguably the best-known WWII tank, and the most feared among Allied and Red tankers, he left his mark in the battlefield, but also in the minds of model makers, the star of the Panzer, I named the classic, but beautiful, PanzerKampfwagen VI Tiger 1 Ausf. E, referred to as Sd.Kfz.181, better known as Tiger 1.

A legend say that you are a real model maker only when you have build a Tiger 1 at least once in your life. For my part, this will be the second, I had built two years ago, on an other forum. But this time friends, we are leaving the scorching and inhospitable sands of Tunisia (it was an African Tiger) to go into the German countryside around Berlin at the end of April 1945. I have decided to build a Tiger 1 of the Panzer Division Müncheberg . A unit mixing the best and the worst, and using vehicles of training or coming out of repair. this unit has shown all the colors to the Soviet tankers. It must be said that part of the crews came from the Kummersdorf test center, so soldiers who knew their stuff. My Tiger will be pictured during one of the unit's last engagement around Berlin, to a farm, ready to do battle with the tank commander with binoculars in hand. It must be said that at the end of the war, the Communist tanks gave Panzer crews a hard time. Russian tankers have become seasoned veterans, the T-34s are now armed with an 85mm cannon, and the KV-1 has given way to Joseph Stalin 2, armed with a terrible 122mm cannon, which even if it lack of precision, is a danger to any tank, except the Tiger 2, which holds the dragee high, led by the crop of the PanzerWaffe. Anyway, here's a little excerpt from Batailles et Blindés magazine which sums up the engagement;

April 16, 1945, on Reichtrass 1;

"The I./Panzer-Regiment" Müncheberg "deploys 10 Tiger 1 and 10 Panthers in refused echelon on either side of the road, just behind the main ditch. Around 8 o'clock, when the Russian tanks emerge from the mist, Zobel's tankers (Major Horst Zobel) have a blast and fire from 1 km away: the first 20 shots hit the mark. This is what it costs to rub shoulders with the Kumersdorf instructors! The Soviets insist and lose between 50 and 60 tanks ".

Regarding the model, I had a little pleasure, with the classic Tamiya kit, and some additions, namely a set of PE VoyagerModel, an Aber metal barrel, AFV club brass bushes, a Alpine figurine, and Friul caterpillars, which have not yet arrived. In addition, I bought something to make the Zimmerit ), as well that a soldering iron for the mudguards, in short, all my birthday money was spent there.

dsc_1888.jpg

For the camouflage, I choose this one

dsc_1890.jpg

Now, let's have some fun shall we?

First, the turret and the hull are assembled, and we take the opportunity to replace the plastic barrel with an Aber reference. Then, to reinforce the foundry appearance on the tank, the walls are textured with putty, then more or less sanded according to the desired effect

dsc_1902.jpg

It's time to attack the zimmerit, using two-component tamiya putty, a metal wheel to print the patterns, talcum powder to keep the putty from sticking to your hands and water to make it sticky.

dsc_1903.jpg

After some hard times... (it's my first zimmerit...)

dsc_1904.jpg

Then while waiting for everything to dry, I assemble the Alpine figure of the tank commander, which is very beautiful.

dsc_1905.jpg

I still prepared the wheels, taking care to use the rubber band as desired

dsc_1906.jpg

Regarding shell impacts, too often, we see simple holes, not even to scale, made with a wick, and nothing more, while if we study photos of shells that did not penetrate the armor, we can notice that the periphery of the impact has changed color (that's not the question for the moment), but also that there has been a displacement of matter because of the kinetic energy ....

First, I start by creating the impacts, using various drills, which are the 1/35 versions of the 122, 85 and 76 mm guns, plus the impacts of the dreaded Russian anti-tank rifle PTRD 41. After having drilled the holes in the barrels. impacts, use tamiya glue to clean the dust

dsc_1907.jpg

To simulate the white-heated material, we will fill the hole with putty (tamiya, ak, etc., it just has to be very malleable), taking care not to put too much. The amount of Putty must match the amount of metal replacing the hole

dsc_1908.jpg

And finally, we push in the impact the back of a brush, rounded, to simulate the shell. You can turn the brush a little to bring out the material. And for smaller impacts, we use objects with round ends, and toothpicks of different calibers. And after this step, take care with the cutter, to remove a little of the material around the shell, because there should not be too much, otherwise it loses realism

dsc_1909.jpg

The end result, we end up with a Tiger having suffered a lot of damage following the relentless attacks of the Russians. And according to the theater of operations, do not hesitate to mark the tank with impacts, the testimonies of German tankers exposed to heavy fire, fighting 1 against 5 at the end of the war are not lacking, to convince you.

dsc_1910.jpg

dsc_1911.jpg

dsc_1912.jpg

That's it for today guys,

Have a nice day

Vincent

• Like 16

Great work this far, the zimm looks super and so much better than the moulded on or bought stuff. The shell impacts are great, some might think it over done but having seen photos of later war Tigers they could sustain an awful lot of damage.

Dont forget to attack the mesh covers over the engine intakes, they tended to get pretty beat up too.

The back story to it is appreciated,  adds a degree of context. 

Really looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Having seen your sub I'm sure we are in for a real treat.

Thanks for posting

Darryl 

• Like 2

Beautifully done and must say looks stunning with all those hits ...as you say there are many accounts of this kind of damage being inflicted .....a study below which if you haven't seen is very interesting....wonderful model and look forward to seeing it finished.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2021 at 18:21, Lazy Modeller said:

That Tiger was a damn real target! Nice Zimmer.

Chers

LM

Thank you mate ! Yeah, we can see a lot of damaged on historical pictures

On 08/12/2021 at 09:03, Jasper dog said:

Great work this far, the zimm looks super and so much better than the moulded on or bought stuff. The shell impacts are great, some might think it over done but having seen photos of later war Tigers they could sustain an awful lot of damage.

Dont forget to attack the mesh covers over the engine intakes, they tended to get pretty beat up too.

The back story to it is appreciated,  adds a degree of context. 

Really looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Having seen your sub I'm sure we are in for a real treat.

Thanks for posting

Darryl 

Hey Darryl, really thank you for your comment! It's really kind from you!! Thank you!

• Like 1

On 09/12/2021 at 13:43, Muchmirth said:

Really nice work. Going to following along with this one. Great way to do the damage. 

Thanks ! the methode comes from Uncle NightShift on Youtube

On 10/12/2021 at 03:59, M3talpig said:

Beautifully done and must say looks stunning with all those hits ...as you say there are many accounts of this kind of damage being inflicted .....a study below which if you haven't seen is very interesting....wonderful model and look forward to seeing it finished.

Thank you ! And thank you for the video! I have an article about this Tiger, froma french Magazine, Batailles & Blindés

Hello folk,

Taking advantage of a few free moments here and there, I offer you the latest advances on the Tiger 1

To begin with, I installed the mud guards, soldering some, and damaging them with pliers. For splinters and shrapnel holes, I use the point of a compass, this is the best way

dsc_1913.jpg

dsc_1914.jpg

Then comes a step that I was a little afraid of, the installation of the spare tracks on the turret, but in the end everything went well, and I chose to glue them before painting, because afterwards, I risked damaging the work

dsc_1915.jpg

dsc_1916.jpg

And finally, some overall photos; the wheels were provisionally installed for the installation of the friul tracks.

dsc_1918.jpg

Then, after some hours of work, the friul tracks Ladies & Gentlemen

dsc_1962.jpg

I then continued the installation of the photoetch, in particular the hooks / locks of the turret box, which gave me a lot of trouble. I also made some additional details, by adding a sort of basket on the left side of the trunk, which will contain the tools, and on the other side (we can't see it in this picture), the fire extinguisher. These ideas come from several photos of machines engaged in Kursk, modifications carried out by the campaign workshops, but which bring a touch of originality.

Now let's take a look at the parcel shelf and its parts, because such small details catch the eye. A Sturmgewehr 44, dropped off near the turret hatch. In the event of an evacuation, the crew has enough to defend themselves, and the same for the Panzerfauts, the fight continues as long as we can still fight. The jerrycan was a bit compulsory, and to give the idea of an intense fight, shells of 8.8. I plan to drop more on the ground.

dsc_1963.jpg

And one last photo of the front, where I fixed the Bosch headlight

dsc_1964.jpg

That's all for the moment,
Have a good day
Vincent

• Like 9

5 hours ago, robw_uk said:

that looks really nice (I am not a real modeller obviously, never built a Tiger)... love the Zimmerit...

Jump on the superthread Rob lots of inspiration there many many period pics and lots of info in general ...love to see your take on a big cat

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 4:33 PM, M3talpig said:

Jump on the superthread Rob lots of inspiration there many many period pics and lots of info in general ...love to see your take on a big cat

have a number of projects I want to get through in 2022 so maybe after those...... will see

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I offer you the latest advances on my Tiger 1.

let's move on to the pictures, with all the (working) latches for the tools from the board set

dsc_2099.jpg

The few tools are installed in a makeshift basket on the turret chest, which I took over by adding aluminum strips for more realistic; and you can see a tarpaulin on the rear shelf, made of bi-compostant tamiya mastic, to add a little fun detail

dsc_2100.jpg

And here are some overall photos;

dsc_2101.jpg

dsc_2102.jpg

dsc_2103.jpg

That's it my friends

Have a nice day and best regards

Vincent

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/01/2022 at 16:39, M3talpig said:

Now that looks awesome

Thanks a lot man 

On 17/01/2022 at 17:10, LeeM said:

Now this is one beat up kitty. Great work and good tip on the damage method.

Thank you mate, and for the damaged methode, it came from Uncle NightShift on YouTube 

On 17/01/2022 at 21:43, Jasper dog said:

Remarkable work Vincent, attention and execution of detail absolutely first rate!

Superb!

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl, I'm honored 

• Like 1

Friends, hello;

It's been quite a while since I've come back to this subject, with this famous Tiger, the assembly of which began in November 2020... So, it's high time to shake off the chips and move forward a little.

The building, I admit, was abandoned for a very specific reason, the painting! Because the search for the right colors is something that I hate the most (equal with puttying and sanding, that is to say). Moreover, having a model with the color that does not suit me is horribly unbearable. So, I had to do a lot of research to get the answers to my questions about the color of this late-war Tiger. In short, let's not procrastinate any longer, let's move on to the images you want '

Since there is quite a lot of Pe, and for better color grip, the Tiger receives a coat of black Primer

thumbn11.jpg

The base coat is a mixture of AK Real color, RAL 7028 and Deck Tan with a mixing ratio of 75/25

thumbn12.jpg

The lines of structures are repainted with a mixture of black and brown diluted to 95%

thumbn13.jpg

Then we apply a light coat of a mixture of Deck Tan and RAL 7028, always Real Color, with a ratio of 50/50

thumbn14.jpg

For the green, after reading a book on building the Panther, I decided to use Protective Green from Ammo Mig. Referring to the profile in the AK book, I applied the camouflage fairly diffused, without too many very sharp edges. Note that the barrel, to add an interesting detail, is painted in dark gray, a mixture of white and black.

thumbn15.jpg

And for the reddish brown, it's Real Color, with Rotebraun, and a little Schokobraun. for once, I would say that the result is a little too clear, but juices will come to fix it later

thumbn16.jpg

Once the paint is dry, we put the decals, and we can let the whole thing rest

thumbn17.jpg

Frankly, I'm quite happy with the result, and given the trouble I went to for the shades, it's quite comforting.

That's all for the moment,
good afternoon
vincent

• Like 5

On 07/12/2021 at 13:52, VinBizz4786_ said:

A legend say that you are a real model maker only when you have build a Tiger 1 at least once in your life. For my part, this will be the second, I had built two years ago, on an other forum. But this time friends, we are leaving the scorching and inhospitable sands of Tunisia (it was an African Tiger) to go into the German countryside around Berlin at the end of April 1945. I have decided to build a Tiger 1 of the Panzer Division Müncheberg . A unit mixing the best and the worst, and using vehicles of training or coming out of repair. this unit has shown all the colors to the Soviet tankers. It must be said that part of the crews came from the Kummersdorf test center, so soldiers who knew their stuff. My Tiger will be pictured during one of the unit's last engagement around Berlin, to a farm, ready to do battle with the tank commander with binoculars in hand. It must be said that at the end of the war, the Communist tanks gave Panzer crews a hard time. Russian tankers have become seasoned veterans, the T-34s are now armed with an 85mm cannon, and the KV-1 has given way to Joseph Stalin 2, armed with a terrible 122mm cannon, which even if it lack of precision, is a danger to any tank, except the Tiger 2, which holds the dragee high, led by the crop of the PanzerWaffe. Anyway, here's a little excerpt from Batailles et Blindés magazine which sums up the engagement;

April 16, 1945, on Reichtrass 1;

"The I./Panzer-Regiment" Müncheberg "deploys 10 Tiger 1 and 10 Panthers in refused echelon on either side of the road, just behind the main ditch. Around 8 o'clock, when the Russian tanks emerge from the mist, Zobel's tankers (Major Horst Zobel) have a blast and fire from 1 km away: the first 20 shots hit the mark. This is what it costs to rub shoulders with the Kumersdorf instructors! The Soviets insist and lose between 50 and 60 tanks ".

Regarding the model, I had a little pleasure, with the classic Tamiya kit, and some additions, namely a set of PE VoyagerModel, an Aber metal barrel, AFV club brass bushes, a Alpine figurine, and Friul caterpillars, which have not yet arrived. In addition, I bought something to make the Zimmerit ), as well that a soldering iron for the mudguards, in short, all my birthday money was spent there.

dsc_1888.jpg

For the camouflage, I choose this one

dsc_1890.jpg

Hi Vincent, was just wondering what book this has come from, just trying to do some research for my own tiger and looks like a good ref for colours?

Thanks

Paul.

plus your tiger looks to be really coming along.

Edited by Muchmirth
Spelling