Revell Me 262 canopy upgrade.

Valleyforge

I'm not sure how often Hannants are able to get stocks of the Rob Taurus canopies these days so you could be waiting a while, so the shop in Holland is probably your best bet if you want to complete the model soon as it looks pretty close now.

Regards

Colin.

5 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

I'm not sure how often Hannants are able to get stocks of the Rob Taurus canopies these days so you could be waiting a while, so the shop in Holland is probably your best bet if you want to complete the model soon as it looks pretty close now.

Regards

Colin.

most EU stores are running low on eastern European stuff, just wait till it kicks off in the Ukraine for the stuff from there to dissapear....😳

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

In which case grabbing one of the canopies from the Aviation Megastore (www.aviationmegastore.com) whilst they still have two is probably the wisest choice.

Regards

Colin.

The problem with the megastore is that their handling charge is very high, so you would typically try to bundle as much as possible in one order to justify it.

And then there's the issue of tax and VAT on arrival in GB.

/Finn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's true to say it would be an expensive option so it really depends how much one is willing to pay to get a kit over the line. The Squadron alternative would be a lot cheaper from Hannants but I've always found them to be too thin and difficult to handle and affix, where as the Rob Taurus ones are made from thicker plastic (though still to scale) and generally a lot easier to work with.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

@Valleyforge,

Hobbylink Japan is OS on the Rob Taurus Me-262A canopy for the Revell kit, but they do have the canopy for the Academy kit; I would expect it to fit the Revell kit with little or no trimming. As the others have said, waiting for restocks on the Rob Taurus canopies is slow at best, and with the current Covid and supply chain issues, it's worse. Just thought I would throw this suggestion out there. You might see some other canopies  you would like- would be more economical to get several, rather than paying shipping for just one. You can scroll through the 1/72 canopies in the link below.

Mike

https://www.hlj.com/search/?q=Rob+Taurus+canopies&productFilter=scale%3A1%2F72

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2021 at 2:27 PM, Valleyforge said:

Sorry the scale is 1/72. Ive looked at the Hannants and I think Ill have to wait for them to get some new stock in. Seems like a popular part so Ive put one on back order. Cheers

It’s popular, because the kit part isn’t even close to fitting. It’s so narrow…QC missed this one!

• Thanks 1

Wow, didn't know there was such a lack in supply of this accessory for such a mainstream kit with such an obvious flaw.

A while ago, I made a vac canopy myself, specifically for my Revell Me262a (which I still haven't finished after all this time, lol)

If there's a large enough interest, I can re-do a series at a reasonable price, as I still have that master.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Regards,

Aleksandar

• Like 4

On 12/7/2021 at 11:51 AM, fishplanebeer said:

Rob Taurus do a replacement (Rob Taurus RBT72023) but Hannants are out of stock so you'll need to find another retailer who may have one.

Regards

Colin.

I have just recently completed one of these Revell 1/72 Me262's after it was stalled for many years by the ill fitting canopy. If only to 'get 'er done' I glued the kit job on for the best fit, sanded the whole thing canopy/fuselage area nice and neatly then used a fibre 'polisher' on my cheap dremel clone with polishing cream and toothpaste to return the clear bits to a clearer state. I wasnt too worried as somehow Revell messed up the wheel bays etc as well by seemingly chickening out halfway and moulding the bays sealed?!  I had yet more fun cutting them out and detailing. The whole Revell kit is really only good for parts etc unless of course its the only game in town. With the advent of better kits like Airfix and Academy even Hasegawa I wouldnt bother again.

• Thanks 1

Revell's Me262 is the only kit I've ever built where I've felt the need to bin the canopy and buy an aftermarket replacement, it really is awful.

I used a Pavla canopy, about £4 from eBay IIRC though there don't seem to be any listed atm.

• Like 1

Wow, really want to thank everyone for the response on this subject. Sorry Ive not been along to read the comments until now. Ive gone through all your answers and taken all the comments on board. 

ginger bob - Sorry buddy 1/72

Colin - thanks for all the suggestions. I checked the place in Holland. However, as suggested the postage is a bit heavy so I made a note of the place for future reference and will use if I need a lot of bits together. As suggested it might be worth getting a lot of bits in one big post. Hannets may not be able to get hold of these canopies at the moment. However, looking in to the place its opened up another field to buy things from in the future. 

Black Knight - Thanks for the suggestion you made, it really looks like a good alternative. Thanks for that 

Wooksta V2.0 - Totally true and I understand what you are saying, they are flimsy.

FinnAndersen - This is a very good point and a good reason why I dont buy from abroad at the moment. Brexit as really killed a lot of things for us Brits. . However, as you and Colin say, it might be worth getting a lot of things together. Iam just not in that position yet. Thanks for the input, really appreciate your time and suggestions.

fishplanebeer - This is true from the research Ive done. I really thought for what I was doing the Rob Taurus ones were what I wanted. 

72 modeller - Thanks for the input on this. That looks like a cracking site. Really appreciate you posting it up and Ill look into this in a little more detail. Cheers. 

Pritch - Thanks again. Ill look into this place. Always good for future reference. 

Bejay 53 - If you are referring to the actual Revell canopy, I really did not think it was fitting to well. I really thought it was me and my inexperience. However if thats what you mean, in the canopy not sitting to well on the kit, yes I thought this to. Cheers.

warhawk - Thanks. That really looks like a good copy of the canopy. I love what you are suggesting as I really do like the idea of someone having a go themselves. I have got a little frustrated with this canopy and thought about looking into making my own. Looked on to You-tube and there is a Dutch chap who as made a vac-forming set up. However, at the moment I think Ill be sticking to buying the canopies. I dont do many up grades, at the moment, but I think Ill be looking into more canopies in the future. hope you get some orders after this suggestion into what you do. Thanks.

Icedtea - Hope you get sorted out. Ill bear the polishing cream and toothpaste idea in mind as I am trying to clean up a canopy on a P51 that just doesn't seem cut the mustard

Ian - I know were you are coming from with this. Really thought it was a poor do and really filmsy. Ive seen the Pavla canopies and again its something Ill look at in the future; for other builds. Cheers.

franki 84 - That really does look like a smart fitting canopy. Ill have a look into the website. Again another great suggetion that will come in handy in the future. Have to see what the postage is like to this country. Cheers.

Thanks everyone for the imput. If Ive missed anyone Iam really sorry, Ill go back over the remarks. Really blown away with the response and will be looking in more often from now on. Ive really not been using the full potential of the site and I think Iam regretting it now. Once again cheers

Edited by Valleyforge
  • Like 1