Academy 1-150 scale Type IXB U-Boat Build Log

Daz

A very, very slow build of the Academy 1-150 scale  Type IXB U-Boat

The build started in October ‎2020, so, its been going on a while, but not as long as @simmerit wokka :)

Being a motorized kit, did mean it had some holes to fill here and there, such as underneath where the screw holes were 

spacer.png

The gaps in the sides needed filling with various amounts of plastic card, putty and anything else that came to hand 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Oh, and the sides, dear god, the sides..... a nice bloody big hole on the flanks to try and fill

First try, good old plastic card

IMG_20201003_194325_edited.jpg?width=450

That failed, so did everything else, so it was back to liquid spur, lots and lots of it

spacer.png

Much sanding later resulted in a floatation test 

spacer.png

Not the brightest idea ever since it needed a few weeks to dry out :)

spacer.png

Finally managed to fill the holes.......more or less, another couple of rub downs and some more filler and undercoat and we might start to see some progress, well, that and waiting on a new airbrush 

• Like 1

Looking good there Daz!

I’m getting a bit sick of the armour, and the Wokka awaits still.  Next build is rapidly looking like either a motorised or museum quality build of the Deans Marine HMS Dreadnought I’ve got on the shelf.  It’s about 60” long so should keep me quiet for a week or three!!

New hip tomorrow. I’m first on the slab at 0830 hrs…….  Can’t wait……….

• Like 1

8 hours ago, simmerit said:

Looking good there Daz!

I’m getting a bit sick of the armour, and the Wokka awaits still.  Next build is rapidly looking like either a motorised or museum quality build of the Deans Marine HMS Dreadnought I’ve got on the shelf.  It’s about 60” long so should keep me quiet for a week or three!!

Best of luck with the Op Si........hopefully, your surgeon has better rebuilding skills than I do :) 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, simmerit said:

Looking good there Daz!

Forgot to mention, don't go for a motorised kit....see above for reasons why :)

Best I could manage on the undercoating front @simmerit

spacer.png

A quick mask off to get a rough line, it will be neatened up for the upper works

spacer.png

First blasts of the lower hull colour, Schiffsbodenfarbe III Grau from the LifeColor German WWII Kriegsmarine U-Boat Set 2......by heck, it needs some thinning

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back in for a respray

51790113049_3ec8834a0f_b.jpg20211226_085856_edited by Darran Darran, on Flickr

51790480045_9e53719011_b.jpg20211226_201747_edited by Darran Darran, on Flickr

Top deck with a bit of wood

51790113089_dae60035b0_b.jpg20211226_210701_edited by Darran Darran, on Flickr

cocking around with oils

51788795092_37e5694f91_b.jpg20211231_105857_edited by Darran Darran, on Flickr

51790480070_eb4583dd93_b.jpg20211231_105903_edited by Darran Darran, on Flickr

Needs defluffing

20211231_105929_edited

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Gidday @Daz, that's a great looking U-boat. One comment if I may, regarding the photos themselves. I've tried photographing dark coloured ships using white paper as a base and background and the camera seems to over compensate and hence the overall photo is dark like yours above. Not always though, some are fine. (I don't know why). Now I use a plain neutral colour, usually an MDF board(s) and the photos seem to be lighter allowing more detail to be seen. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday @Daz, that's a great looking U-boat. One comment if I may, regarding the photos themselves. I've tried photographing dark coloured ships using white paper as a base and background and the camera seems to over compensate and hence the overall photo is dark like yours above. Not always though, some are fine. (I don't know why). Now I use a plain neutral colour, usually an MDF board(s) and the photos seem to be lighter allowing more detail to be seen. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

Its more a case of using a crappy camera phone in this case Jeff rather than setting up the tripod and using a tidy camera 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 7:41 AM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday @Daz, yeah, fair enough. your earlier photos turned out well. I don't use a phone camera myself. Either way, the model itself is very good. Regards, Jeff.

Its a kit I wholeheartedly recommend that people avoid Jeff :)

Since some of the photos have gone walkabout, here's some of the early shots

IMG_20201005_202941_edited (Custom)

IMG_20201008_165732

IMG_20201011_212049

IMG_20201226_215943