Posting paint

-Ian-

Can anyone suggest which parcel companies I can use to LEGALLY post enamel paints within the UK? Every company I've looked at lists either paints generally, or solvent based paints specifically as restricted items.

How do retailers manage it, do some parcel companies have different rules for business and private customers?

8 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I have spray cans arrive via DPD.

Paint is one of the items on DPD's prohibited items list.

I'm sure plenty of people ignore the list and send them regardless but I'm wondering what (if any) companies actually permit the posting of paint.

UPS is able to carry flammable liquids under Excepted Quantities or Limited Quantities. Parcel Force will carry them under Limited Quantities, but they first want to qualify a sample package. I'm not sure if either will accept these goods under a one-off C-2-C consignment. I'm speaking from a B-2-C point of view so I do this under contract with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

UPS is able to carry flammable liquids under Excepted Quantities or Limited Quantities. Parcel Force will carry them under Limited Quantities, but they first want to qualify a sample package. I'm not sure if either will accept these goods under a one-off C-2-C consignment. I'm speaking from a B-2-C point of view so I do this under contract with them.

Thanks Jamie, UPS looks promising.

Parcelforce's websites states solvent based paints are prohibited so presumably as a business you're permitted a little more latitude.

40 minutes ago, -Ian- said:

Thanks Jamie, UPS looks promising.

Parcelforce's websites states solvent based paints are prohibited so presumably as a business you're permitted a little more latitude.

Re. Parcelforce; we had to go through a number of departments with them and eventually they wanted a sample package to kick around one of their depots, jump up and down on, drive the lorry over etc to see if flammable liquid came out . We received blanket consent to send UN1263 (Class III, Packing Group 3) flammable liquid under contract thereafter. I suspect the promise of x packages per week at £8 +VAT per go was a big enough carrot for them to bother dragging their different departments into the discussion. For a one-off it's much easier to just say "no", I suppose.

I suspect most courier companies will carry it in some form or another. There ae no different rules for private individual or companies as the rules are just that rules.

They will be accommodating to help you if you are a business though, and more able to check you are following the rules if you are a business, hence Jamie providing a sample of packaging which is able to stand up to the inter-depot 5 a side cup! (having worked for parcel farce this is a thing!)

Your biggest issue will be getting around the standard "we dont take that" response to finding someone willing to take the time and trouble to help you, I would suspect.

Julien

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Julien said:

inter-depot 5 a side cup! (having worked for parcel farce this is a thing!)

oh boy, I hope that isn't reflected in the state of a package when delivered :D

8 minutes ago, Julien said:

Also "do not bend" can be seen as a challenge, and "fragile" well lets not go there!

When I was at Uni in the 90s, the summer job I had one year was in a Royal Mail sorting office, that's pretty much spot on 😆

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, -Ian- said:

When I was at Uni in the 90s, the summer job I had one year was in a Royal Mail sorting office, that's pretty much spot on 😆

Parcel Force Christmas temp. Some of the unclaimed stuff we had was legendary!

18 minutes ago, -Ian- said:

My student "winter job" was at the ANC trunking depot in the 80's, just before Christmas. They would deliberately throw items marked fragile into the cages just for a laugh and open anything that looked like it might be alcohol for consumption during the shift.  Bunch of absolute scumbags, I stuck it for two nights then packed it in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Pigpen said:

My student "winter job" was at the ANC trunking depot in the 80's, just before Christmas. They would deliberately throw items marked fragile into the cages just for a laugh and open anything that looked like it might be alcohol for consumption during the shift.  Bunch of absolute scumbags, I stuck it for two nights then packed it in.

Sorry to go a bit :offtopic: but.....

Still not as bad as this guy though!!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/hermes-delivery-driver-sacked-after-25538562

Duncan B

• Like 2
  • Sad 3