An Air UK Pair Part 1 - Fokker 100 in 1/144

Here is the Revell Fokker 100 finished as G-UKFI of Air UK circa 1999. The real G-UKFI was delivered to Air Europe in 1989 and joined Air UK in 1993. She later became PH-OFI of KLM and retired in 2009.

The Revell kit was issued in 1995 and has been off the market for some time. Revell tend to re-issue their airliners at odd and unpredictable intervals but I’m not sure if we’ll see the F100 back. My kit was from the original KLM/Swissair boxing but even so the moulds were starting to wear and there was a lot of flash and consequent cleaning up. The final (Helvetic) release suffered from very badly moulded engine halves and if Revell do ever re-issue the kit I hope they fix the moulds first.

Flash aside it was a straightforward build. The locating pegs for the wings are wrongly positioned. If left unmodified they throw the wing incidence out and give the model an incorrect step on the underside. (Thanks to @Viking for pointing that out). It’s an easy correction but (obviously) has to be done at the building stage.

I added some parts from the Extra Tech p/e set but since all my models are built in “gate” configuration I decided against using the open thrust reversers!

Paint is overall Halfords white with Tamiya and Revell metallics.

Decals are by RichW. Richard has done a good job with the livery but there is quite a bit of nipping and tucking needed around the fin and rear fuselage. The fin decals don’t wrap round the leading edge or over the top but Revell Aqua 54 is a close match so touching up is straightforward. Windows are by Authentic Airliners. Detail decals came from the kit sheet and the spares box.

Thanks for looking and constructive criticism is always welcome.  If all goes to plan there should be a second Air UK model along in the next few days.

Dave G

51729465530_6ebc2e2e74_b.jpg

51728579486_5839c0a1b5_b.jpg

51728829773_c1aed70eaf_b.jpg

51729465850_185c4b20d9_b.jpg

• Like 31

Really nice job and a stylish british livery from the past , well done                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Cheers Michael.   

• Like 1

Nice one Dave! I did 'FA a few years ago with my own decals after a disaster with a set of F-DCAL's for the scheme. To be fair, getting a good fit round the complex shape at the top of the tail is going to be challenging for any  decal, I ended up touching up in this area as well.

2 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Flash aside it was a straightforward build. The locating pegs for the wings are wrongly positioned. If left unmodified they throw the wing incidence out and give the model an incorrect step on the underside. (Thanks to @Viking for pointing that out). It’s an easy correction but (obviously) has to be done at the building stage.

You had me puzzling over this for while, as my wings don't look any different to yours, but I don't recall making any adjustment to the wing incidence. I'd assumed as you're referring to changing the incidence you'd altered the locating pegs for the wing to fuselage joint, but looking at the location of the wing leading and trailing edges you haven't changed this have you? 

I think I've twigged what you're referring to from the incorrect step comment - the lower wing halves need thinning on their rear edge where they butt up to the flaps and aileron, as the thickness is too much here and you'll get a big step between the lower wing surface and the flap or aileron surface at the hinge line. I didn't spot this on mine until the wings halves were glued together, you don't notice it on the finished model unless you pick it up and turn it over (but then you wouldn't notice it through a black eye either!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You learn something every day here. I didn’t notice the step issue when I built mine. And I used to fly the thing! It was a fun plane to fly, not quite as much fun as an F28, but still a good bird. 

• Like 1

Another beautiful build from you.

The Fokker 100 is a very nice kit,if the older releases are considered.

I have 2 Helvetic kits and the demonstrator version and the Helvetic kits have serious issues.

I am not so familiar with this Rich W. 

Maybe you could provide me with his web page ?

Thanks for sharing

Alex

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 1

Always a pleasure to see such a nice classic airliner from your workbench, Dave. She looks beautiful. Well done, in spite of the flash and challenge that this old kit can bring. Not very often that we see this kit built up; thanks for sharing. I do like the Air UK livery…and your detailing makes her stand out so well. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone. Much appreciated as always.

5 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Nice one Dave! I did 'FA a few years ago with my own decals after a disaster with a set of F-DCAL's for the scheme. To be fair, getting a good fit round the complex shape at the top of the tail is going to be challenging for any  decal, I ended up touching up in this area as well.

You had me puzzling over this for while, as my wings don't look any different to yours, but I don't recall making any adjustment to the wing incidence. I'd assumed as you're referring to changing the incidence you'd altered the locating pegs for the wing to fuselage joint, but looking at the location of the wing leading and trailing edges you haven't changed this have you? 

I think I've twigged what you're referring to from the incorrect step comment - the lower wing halves need thinning on their rear edge where they butt up to the flaps and aileron, as the thickness is too much here and you'll get a big step between the lower wing surface and the flap or aileron surface at the hinge line. I didn't spot this on mine until the wings halves were glued together, you don't notice it on the finished model unless you pick it up and turn it over (but then you wouldn't notice it through a black eye either!)

Thanks Dave. I wasn't meaning to criticise Richard, only to point out that touching up is needed but because Revell Aqua 54 is such a good match it's nothing to be worried about. As to the wings I should have linked to Viking's KLM model. I simply followed John's advice, removed the front pegs and lined the wings up with the roots. A good dose of Revell Contacta secured everything and left me with almost no filling. The step on the lower wing joint is another matter. It's a nuisance and since it's on the bottom I did a bit of scraping and sanding then unashamedly adopted the TLAR principle

3 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Another beautiful build from you.

The Fokker 100 is a very nice kit,if the older releases ate considered.

I have 2 Helvetic kits and the demonstrator version and the Helvetic kits have serious issues.

I am not so familiar with this Rich W. 

Maybe you could provide me with his web page ?

Thanks for sharing

Alex

Thanks Alex. Richard Warcup is a member of Britmodeller (RICHW). He doesn't have a web page but he's on Facebook as RichW's Model Airliner Decals. You need to join his group which is really the only way to keep up with his new releases. There is a lot of diecast stuff on his FB page but plenty of plastic models too. He issues a pdf list of his decals which he'll e-mail to you on request. If you have any problems getting it pm me your e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

That's a cracker Dave.

I've got a couple in the stash together with a set of the old FCM decals for the same livery.  The fine finish together with those AA window decals never fail to impress.

All the best.

Chris.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stringbag said:

That's a cracker Dave.

I've got a couple in the stash together with a set of the old FCM decals for the same livery.  The fine finish together with those AA window decals never fail to impress.

All the best.

Chris.

Thanks very much Chris. Good luck with the FCM decals if you ever decide to use them. FCM isn't a brand that inspires my confidence! 

I am again much impressed by the fine execution of one of your models.  It is a very neat scheme and for one flying the flag, not over jingoistic.

Just looked it up, just does not seem like over twenty years since it graced the skies. Looking forward to your next one.

Vincent

• Like 1

• Skodadriver changed the title to An Air UK Pair Part 1 - Fokker 100 in 1/144