Brewster F2A-3P Buffalo - Midway

Here is my latest kit, finished earlier this week. It's Kami de Korokoro's 1:144 Brewster F2A-3P Buffalo finished as "MF-17", BuNo 01521, flown by 2nd Lt Charles M. Kunz, of VMF-221, USMC, on June 4th, 1942, during the Battle of Midway. He shot down two Japanese aircraft and was one of only three F2A-3s to return to base, despite being wounded and with the aircraft damaged from enemy fire.

0399-04.jpg
0399-03.jpg
0399-02.jpg

This was a poorly-moulded resin kit. I opened up the cockpit and corrected the rear shelf, adding scratchbuilt details. I removed the framing from the middle of the main canopy as this variant didn't have it. The engine cowling, propeller and tail wheel were lost causes and I replaced them with spare parts from a Mark I Buffalo kit. I had to modify the propeller since this variant didn't use a spinner. The radio masts and wires and the  wing pitot were made from stretched sprue. The kit was fully painted and varnished with brush. The kit's decals were useless and anyhow I wanted a Midway machine so I used the markings from a Warbird Decals sheet and the code, minus the "M" which was painted, from one of the Mark I Buffalo boxings.

0399-05.jpg
0399-07.jpg
0399-12.jpg
0399-09.jpg
0399-14.jpg
0399-15.jpg
0399-17.jpg
0399-18.jpg
0399-19.jpg

Although far from perfect, I am pleased I managed to make something rather decent from what came in the bag.

Thanks for looking and all comments are welcome.
Miguel

• Like 23

22 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

I'm not surprised that you're pleased - it looks amazing!

21 hours ago, Remus389 said:

The details are excellent considering the size. 👍

20 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work on this Tiny model, a little cracker Miguel.

Great work 

Chris

17 hours ago, RMCS said:

Fantastic 

7 hours ago, Epeeman said:

That's wonderful work on your tiny Buffalo!

Regards

Dave

Many thanks to all!

Miguel

On 06/12/2021 at 18:22, Madmaks said:

Looks great 👍

On 07/12/2021 at 06:10, Sky Keg said:

Given the size, it`s hard not to be impressed.  Great job Miguel!!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Thank you very much!

Miguel

• Like 1