TonyOD's Bristol factory - (1) Blenheim Mk I, 27 Sqn RAF, Malaya 1941 (Sqn Ldr Arthur Scarf VC)

TonyOD

Of late I’ve developed a bit of a fascination with Bristol’s purposeful looking twins of the 1940s, such that in a relatively short period of time I’ve managed to accumulate this little batch of red boxes (I suspect Adam Tooby's excellent box art has something to so with it!):

spacer.png

My plan is to get together a little Bristol sub-collection based on these kits: a variety of Blenheims, Beauforts and Beaufighters to highlight the versatility of these aircraft. A Bolingbroke may make an appearance, and who knows, down the line there maybe be Bombays, Brigands, Buckinghams and Buckmasters, though not from Airfix of course  (I sense there is some kind of theme to the names that Bristol chose for their aircraft, but I can’t quite put my finger on what it is…)

I don’t know if I’ll be building these concurrently or consecutively, but certainly I’ll be dipping in and out for other builds, GBs etc, so this is likely to be a long haul!

Here we go…

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 16

Thanks for the interest, @RainierHooker, and welcome along! I'm still finding my way around all the variants, I'm not sure how one would build a Beaufighter VIF out of one of the Airfix kits?

I haven't decided which to kick off with yet...

Looking forward to this Tony. They did make some good looking twins (oh, @CedB, where are you?) (hope you are well).

And now I’ve got something to point at when Mrs MF asks me why I’ve got more FROG Blenheims than anyone else on the planet!

Tempted by the Mk I Blenheim PR version with clipped wings?

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

And now I’ve got something to point at when Mrs MF asks me why I’ve got more FROG Blenheims than anyone else on the planet!

Happy to help, brother! 😂

3 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Tempted by the Mk I Blenheim PR version with clipped wings?

Didn't know there was one? Can you point me towards more info?

My thinking so far as as follows:

1. Blenheim Mk I RAF green-brown/black (OOB)
  2. Blenheim Mk I Finnish AF
  3. Blenheim Mk IV Free French AF desert scheme (OOB)
  4. Blenheim Mk IVF RAF all-black (OOB)
  5. Bolingbroke RCAF all yellow trainer
  6. Beaufort Mk I temperate sea scheme FAA
  7. Beaufort Mk I green/grey SEAC markings
  8. Beaufighter TF Mk X sea grey/sky w/ invasion stripes (OOB)
  9. Beaufighter TF Mk X green-brown/grey Indian AF SEAC markings (OOB)
  10. Beaufighter TF Mk 10 Israeli AF, something like RAF day fighter scheme
  11. Beaufighter TF Mk 10 RAF Op. Firedog bare metal

...but suggestions welcome. I like the look of the Aussie-built Mk 21 in all-green but I feel this might be a tricky conversion.

The sharp-eyed will note that I have listed more aircraft than I have kits...

• Like 4

The unsuccessful PR Blenheim with smoothed surface and clipped wings was certainly present in the old Profile, and has reappeared many time down the years.  I'd be surprised were it not in Graham Warner's epic volume of the type.  Which all Blenheim enthusiasts should have.

In my turn, I haven't seen a Beaufort in SEAC markings.  Are you confusing these with RAAF roundels?  The RAAF offers you a wide range of Beaufort variants, and Beaufighter colours.  However, the Indian AF didn't have its own markings before independence, and I don't recall reference to them having Beaufighters before or after.

The final Coastal Command scheme for Beaufighters was Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky.

• Like 1

There are gaping holes in my knowledge @Graham Boak and I was trying to recall in haste from memory a list I ran up elsewhere the other day, so yeah I’m probably off on several points there through ignorance or misrepresentation, or both. 😁

• Like 1

Apparently it was L1348? Had clipped wingtips, streamlined nose, Rotol VP propellers, no turret and tape over everything that didn't need to open.

There is a rather short thread on BM: 

I'm sure I've seen a picture somewhere. I'll search around more tomorrow morning.

[edit] Bingo! There's a photo here:

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Arts/Art9820.htm

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TonyOD said:

1. Beaufort Mk I temperate sea scheme FAA

...but suggestions welcome. I like the look of the Aussie-built Mk 21 in all-green but I feel this might be a tricky conversion.

The sharp-eyed will note that I have listed more aircraft than I have kits..

The Fleet Air Arm didn't fly Beauforts, although many RAF aircraft were in the Temperate Sea Scheme, due to their role. The FAA did fly Blenheim both Mk I and Mk IV in training roles. There are examples on at least one Xtradecal sheet. 

On some of those possible subjects...

@825 the FAA example I have in mind is this, from Xtradecal sheet X72319:

spacer.png

I have no idea what their source is for this, can't turn up anything on that particular s/n online anyway. I did a bit of digging and according to Wiki five FAA squadrons did operate Beauforts, it references Bristol Beaufort by Tony Buttler.

14 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

In my turn, I haven't seen a Beaufort in SEAC markings.  Are you confusing these with RAAF roundels?

Probably! I've never done anything from that theatre and sort of thought any British/Commonwealth roundel without red in it is "SEAC". This is the one I'm thinking of, same sheet as above:

spacer.png

Are SEAC markings the ones with the white stripes on the wings, stabs and tailfin?

I should probably get my excuses in early: a project of this type (specific aircraft manufacturer, wide range of subjects) is bound to elicit well-meaning advice from brother and sister modellers with considerable expertise in the area, that's one of the wonders of Britmodeller and such offers are always much appreciated. That said, I'm a gentleman hobbyist rather than an exhaustive and conscientious aviation historian, and tend to pick and choose where accuracy is concerned, so I do hope people won't take offence if I appear a bit easy come, easy go about that sort of thing!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 1

Interesting about the FAA units, but the use by a Station Flight is clearly just a hack role.  EDIT  Significant numbers, all Mk.II or Mk,.II Trainer, were handed over to the FAA late in the war.  A small batch in 9/43. then more from 9/44 and the most significant amounts in 1945.  They were used in training units (7xx squadron numbers) rather than operational ones, presumably in advance of the FAA getting Mosquitos.  END EDIT

The blue centre implies SEAC, and these were preceded by a modified or not modified RAF roundel without the red centre, but that can also describe the wartime RAAF roundel - generally with more white showing than in SEAC but that's not always true of the earlier SEAC variations.  In this period (1943) the yellow surround was often still present, particularly when a large amount of white remained.  The white stripes are later.  Some Beauforts, were indeed sent to India to provide anti-shipping capability given the lack of surviving Vildebeestes, but seem to have stayed in what had become quiet areas.  As a major FAA base that had already been attacked by the Japanese, Ceylon was clearly seen in great need.  I guess I actually had the combat zone on the India/Burma border in mind,  but I did only say that I hadn't seen any.   (A dig through all my references may even prove that wrong.)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Interesting about the FAA units, but the use by a Station Flight is clearly just a hack role. 

I figured this would be the case, which is why I don't plan to tool this one up with a torpedo 😁

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'll pull up a chair if I may?

Given that most of the kits have made a very short trip down the A616 your interest will be most welcome Mark!

I reckon I should have got my Bf 110 over the line by the end of the week, so my thoughts are turning to which of these to tackle first... 🤔

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 2

Well I'll have to follow along on this one as well, having gathered the parts for a Finnish Series 1 and intending to someday follow it with a Yugo Mark 1, Croat Mark 1, and a Shark-Mouthed Mark IV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2021 at 7:18 AM, TonyOD said:

I have the same affliction/addiction for Bristol's products - 3 Blenheims, A Beaufort and another on the way, plus 10 Beaufighters and counting. Being Australian of course I strongly urge at least one Beaufighter XXI.  The Hasegawa Sperry auto pilot bulge can be made to fit the Airfix kit, but Both CMK and HPM make conversion sets and they also include decals. See here:

https://www.cmkkits.com/en/aircraft/129-7446/

https://www.hpmhobbies.com/airfix-a04019-bristol-beaufighter--tf-x-kit-high-planes-dap-beaufighter-mk-21-set-1-72/ 

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know in case you weren't aware of these conversion sets. looking forward to watching progress.

Matt

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 8:18 PM, TonyOD said:

Hi Tony!

A Dominican Beaufighter would look great :). 

Martin

57 minutes ago, bombernut said:

Both CMK and HPM make conversion sets and they also include decals. See here:

Thank you, that is very helpful!

15 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

A Dominican Beaufighter would look great :). 

I'll look them up!

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Beaufighter/Beaufighter/pages/Beaufighter-VIF-Dominican-Air-Force-308-Fuerza-Aerea-de-Republica-Dominicana-Profile-0A.html :)

X72244 Xtradecal 1:72 Bristol Beaufighter Mk.VI/ TF.Mk.X Collection

You are now fully enabled, Tony ;)

Martin

• Like 1

So I thought I’d kick off with the first of the kits I acquired: a Blenheim Mk I in classic green/brown over black, I mean night, serving with 62 Squadron, RAF in Malaya, December 1941. The box art is a standout (even for Mr Tooby), it shows the aircraft skimming the treetops while getting shot up by a couple of enemy fighters. 

spacer.png

Before last night I knew nothing about this aircraft, but a bit of light Googling threw up the story behind the box art:

Squadron Leader Arthur Scarf VC joined the RAF in 1936. On gaining his wings he was posted to No.9 Squadron, operating the Handley Page Heyford. In 1937 he transferred to No.62 Squadron, a light bomber unit which received the Bristol Blenheim in February 1938. Just prior to the outbreak of war in September 1939, the Squadron was detached to bases in northern Malaya. From July 1941 No.62 was based at Alor Star near the Thailand border and at the outbreak of hostilities in December 1941 the squadron came under heavy air attack. On 9 December it was withdrawn to RAF Butterworth in order to regroup.

On 9 December 1941 in northern Malaya, near the Siam border, the RAF had been ordered to make a daylight raid on Singora, an important locus for the Japanese invasion of the Malay Peninsula, then underway.

Let the Citation for Scarf’s VC, published in the London Gazette on 21 June 1946 tell the story:

“The KING has been graciously pleased to confer the posthumous award of the VICTORIA CROSS to the undermentioned Officer in recognition of most conspicuous bravery:-

On 9th December, 1941, all available aircraft from the Royal Air Force Station, Butterworth, Malaya, were ordered to make a daylight attack on the advanced operational base of the Japanese Air Force at Singora, Thailand. From this base the enemy fighter squadrons were supporting the landing operations.

The aircraft detailed for the sortie were on the point of taking off when the enemy made a combined dive-bombing and low level machine gun attack on the airfield. All our aircraft were destroyed or damaged with the exception of the Blenheim piloted by Squadron Leader Scarf. This aircraft had become airborne a few seconds before the attack started.

Squadron Leader Scarf circled the airfield and witnessed the disaster. it would have been reasonable had he abandoned the projected operation which was intended to be a formation sortie. He decided, however, to press on to Singora in his single aircraft. Although he knew this individual action could not inflict much material damage on the enemy, he, nevertheless, appreciated the moral effect which it would have on the remainder of the squadron, who were helplessly watching their aircraft burning on the ground.

Squadron Leader Scarf completed his attack successfully. The opposition over the target was severe and included attacks by a considerable number of enemy fighters. In the course of these encounters Squadron Leader Scarf was mortally wounded.

The enemy continued to engage him in a running fight, which lasted until he had regained the Malayan border. Squadron Leader Scarf fought a brilliant evasive action in a valiant attempt to return to his base. Although he displayed the utmost gallantry and determination, he was, owing to his wounds, unable to accomplish this. He made a successful forced landing at Alor Star without causing any injury to his crew. He was received into hospital as soon as possible, but died shortly after admission.

Squadron Leader Scarf displayed supreme heroism in the face of tremendous odds and his splendid example of self-sacrifice will long be remembered.”

Because of the chaotic nature of the Malayan campaign, the facts concerning Scarf’s actions were not known until after the war which is why his action was not gazetted until 1946. At the time of his death he was about to become a father for the first time. His pregnant wife was a nurse based at the Alor Star hospital, but had just been evacuated south. The two other crewmen from Scarf’s Blenheim were also given awards after the war for their courage during this action; Sergeant Paddy Calder (later Squadron Leader) was awarded a Distinguished Flying Medal and Sergeant Cyril Rich (KIA in 1943) received a posthumous Mentioned in Despatches.

(From https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2016/02/16/sqd-ldr-arthur-scarf-vc-solo-attack-on-japanese-forces/ )

Quite a tale, then. Scarf’s aircraft appears to be an oft-built, and oft-discussed subject, the latter regarding which aircraft he actually flew. I’m not going to go over ground that’s already been well covered not least elsewhere on these pages, but suffice to say that L1136 is now thought to have carried the codes FX*F (and not PT*F), as represented by Airfix’s decals. No photographs of the aircraft are known to exist, and Airfix note in their callouts that “details of Scarf’s aircraft have been pieced together from available information and details of other aircraft in the squadron”.

Anyway, the kit. Obligatory sprue shots. Nicely moulded, with sensitive handling of panel lines.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Excellent decals sheet with not too many stencils (yay).

spacer.png

I have not one but two sets of canopy masks to choose from. I may decide some aftermarket flimflam.

spacer.png

Couple of days and I'll be up and running I reckon!

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 7

• TonyOD changed the title to TonyOD's Bristol factory - (1) Blenheim Mk I, 27 Sqn RAF, Malaya 1941 (Sqn Ldr Arthur Scarf VC)
13 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Those two are on my list as well!

Regards,

Adrian

Now I just need to find a Mark IV - in my part of the states I can get a Mark 1, delivered, from a half dozen shops for $28-30. I can't think of the last time I saw the new tooling of the Mark IV for less than $40.

• Like 4

@Tweener Yeah they do seem a bit on the rare side those Mk IVs. I chanced upon the Free French kit in the little shop at my local air museum, that was very lucky. I got the IVF from our mutual friend @2996 Victor who lives up the road from me. Could do with another one really! Maybe another trip to the museum will sort me out…

• Like 1