Dirty Danes - Royal Danish Air Force dark green Cold warriors

0viking0

Hello dear friends,

Here is something new and very special, but also far from over...

DIRTY DANES - Royal Danish Air Force DARK GREEN COLD WARRIORS

RDAF began to paint its aircraft in the standard colour known as SM/67, olive green (matt), during late the 1960’s. Even though it is finished in just one color, the paint faded quite rapidly and unfortunately gave the aircraft an untidy appearance, although they were in fact very well maintained. The weak matt paint durability problem was solved during the late 1970’s when aircraft were re-painted in an extremely gloss variant of the same colour, but this clearly reduced the camouflage efficiency due to the monotone high shine of the aircraft surfaces.

This set will give you options to build almost any Dark Green aircraft in Danish service, but there will be 7 very special subjects - zapped Danish warriors. ‘Zapping’ is an old tradition among air forces, where a graffiti, slogan, sticker or emblem is applied to another units aircraft, in the spirit of rivalry and humour.

Some countries removed the ‘Zaps’ as soon as possible, but the Danes had a sympathetic & tolerant perspective on the practice. Some ‘Zaps’ have been present on Danish aircraft for many years.

Special thanks to Jens Jensen for the generous support and information.

Because of this COVID situation and many other problems, there is no exact date when these sets will be available and price is not determined yet.

http://paulusvictor.com

spacer.png

Edited by 0viking0
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Looks interesting, I remember a RDAF Hun that transited through Aviano when I was there back in the late 60s/early 70s. Only aircraft that was scruffier looking than the occasional Turkish F-100 that came through.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That looks nice. I already have PaulusVictor decals for Syrian AF,  9/11 Huey's and Desert Storm Harriers and they are outstanding quality. I spent a good hour reading instructions for each since they offer abundance of interesting information. Preview of this Danish set  shows that this set will offer no less. Danish AF decals would not be my first choice for any of subjects covered in this sheet, but looking at them, I reserve the right to change my mind!😆

• Like 1

Looks like a great sheet. I'd really like to get hold of one.

Am I missing something? Can't find anything about it on the above link to the website. Is it possible to pre-order one?

Thanks for the heads-up :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smudge said:

Looks like a great sheet. I'd really like to get hold of one.

Am I missing something? Can't find anything about it on the above link to the website. Is it possible to pre-order one?

Thanks for the heads-up :)

Thank you all guys. The set is really not ready for anything more than just a rumor about it lol. I will give much more info when everything will be ready.

In the meantime, feel free to follow this dedicated PaulusVictor BM section. I will put more stuff there soon.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/731-paulus-victor-decals/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great news! I will buy one or two 1/72 sets the second they're out. Can't wait!

Jay

PS Would the artwork on the instruction be for sale as a print? It looks fantastic!

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Great news! I will buy one or two 1/72 sets the second they're out. Can't wait!

Jay

PS Would the artwork on the instruction be for sale as a print? It looks fantastic!

We will see :)

• 1 month later...

Hello dear friends.

The interest for these Dirty Danes is much higher than I expected and many are interested for updates on this project... and here it is... I made several test prints and I am very pleased with how this has turned out so far, but I still want to work on some details.

I don’t want to put them into final production until I’m completely satisfied.

I will give you more data when ready...

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15

• 0viking0 changed the title to Dirty Danes - Royal Danish Air Force dark green Cold warriors
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dear friends,

thanks for the great interest.

"Dirty Danes" are available, but I haven't solved the preorders yet, and new orders are just coming so I just can't find a time to announce them appropriately.

I'll try do it this week. ...never had such a big interest for a decal set so far.

Looks like 1/48 set could already go down to low stock.

spacer.png

Hello guys,
here they are, finally done. DIRTY DANES in 1/72 and 1/48 are officially available.
Although they have been ready for some time, I had a lot of pre-orders, so I didn't have time to announce them. I did not expect expect so much interest for this subject - 1/48 set is already on low stock...

Why Dirty Danes and why is this the biggest set I’ve ever made?
The initial idea was simple, to make a semi-generic set with which almost any Danish plane painted dark green could be made. Royal Danish Air Force began to paint its aircraft in the standard colour known as SM/67, olive green (matt), during late the 1960’s. This colour was very effective against Danish landscapes. Even though it is finished in just one color, the paint faded quite rapidly and unfortunately gave the aircraft an untidy appearance, although they were in fact very well maintained. After some time in service, the paint was usually touched up, but the weathering effects and consistent ‘touch ups’ inadvertently resulted in a unique camouflage pattern. The worst weathering was probably caused by the fact that the aircraft were mostly parked outside in the elements, specifically during the harsh Danish winters. The weak matt paint durability problem was solved during the late 1970’s when aircraft were re-painted in an extremely gloss variant of the same colour, but this clearly reduced the camouflage efficiency due to the monotone high shine of the aircraft surfaces.

However, entering the topic, the madness combined with insomnia began. I discovered a lot of zapped Danish planes. The idea turned from a very simple one into a day and night research of a planes with zaps. I just had to find quality reference materials for 6-7 zapped planes that would not be just ordinary generic dark green Danes. ‘Zapping’ is an old tradition among air forces, where a graffiti, slogan, sticker or emblem is applied to another units aircraft, in the spirit of rivalry and humour. This can be another squadron or even another Air Force. Zaps were very popular during the Cold War (mostly in Western Countries), early ‘zapping’ could be considerable and in many cases the applications were causing significant paint damage to an aircraft worth millions. Later zaps were used only in the form of an adhesive sticker or small painted emblems. Some countries removed the ‘Zaps’ as soon as possible, but the Danes had a sympathetic & tolerant perspective on the practice. Some ‘Zaps’ have been present on Danish aircraft for many years.

Many thanks to Jens Jensen and his friends for their help, advice and support. Without them this project would not have been so extensive and interesting.

WHAT IS IN THE ENVELOPE:
– Decal set for 7 “Zapped” RDAF dark green aircraft options:
  Hawker Hunter Mk.51
  Lockheed F-104G Starfighter
  Lockheed TF-104G Starfighter
  North American F-100D Super Sabre
  North American TF-100F Super Sabre
  Saab F 35 Draken
  Saab RF-35 Draken
– Bonus decal sheet that gives you more build options
– Background stories, history and details
– Photo quality profiles and instructions