Dirty Danes - Royal Danish Air Force dark green Cold warriors

0viking0

Just got my set today, must say, I'm quite impressed. Great set, great packaging and heaps of extra info! The perfect package, really. Already tested a spare decal, and it performs marvelously. Very happy with it. Got the Syrian Veterans set too, and it's the same quality. Well done Paulus Victor, hope you bring us many great new sets like these :)

• Like 1

Got mine, and it is excellent. 

The 'zaps' and additional information about the individual aircraft really make it a special sheet to have.

Thank you 🇩🇰 :viking:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My set was waiting for me when I got back from holiday at the weekend , excellent decals and fantastic instructions.

Was already aware of some of the minor detail changes on some RDAF aircraft such as the F-100 ECM wingtips but others such as the F-104 spotlight were completely new to me.

Well done.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

First, thank you all for the numerous orders, emails and messages. Dirty Danes set is almost sold out and I am thinking whether or not I should print a new round... I will see.
On the other hand, I see that many have already started work on making new models of Danish planes, but I also see that Draken is causing the most problems. There were a lot of messages and questions about the correct kit version. If you want to make a completely accurate variant of the Draken, you need to spend some time researching. Here is a small guide, I hope that this could help. If you don't take the accuracy of your kit seriously, just move on and skip this text.

The Danish Draken is a very complicated subject from a modeling point of view. There are several variants that have been modernized over time with smaller interventions, but also, there was one large modernization.
𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘: The first step in choosing a subject is to try to find as many photos of a particular plane in as narrow a time period as possible. There is no need to buy a first available model kit and a bunch of accessories before studying the photos of the desired subject.

RDAF Draken is basically a Saab 35XD, an export fighter bomber version of the Saab 35F. At first this new version was called the 35X, but after it had been adapted to meet the Danish specifications, it became designated by SAAB as the A35XD (Attack aircraft type 35, Danish Export version). But you will hardly find a kit box containing the XD variant. The reason for that is that three basic variants of the Saab 35XD were produced. The Danish Air Force itself chose to use the designation F-35 for a single-seat attack version. The reconnaissance version S35XD became RF-35 and the two-seater Sk35XD became the TF-35 in Danish service.

The Saab 35XD was heavily modified to make it into a fighter bomber aircraft. Based on the J35F fighter airframe on the outside there was absolutely no change other than smaller details (such as antennas), but the inside was different. The internal structure was stronger. Wings were upgraded to carry higher loads.
𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘: Use different weapon pylons for Danish Draken... Usually available as an aftermarket set - you will not find them in a box. Also, take care and follow the correct antenna placement. Original early fighter bomber variant is the only Danish Draken that can be an easy build. Early reconnaissance variants, however, will be a problem. The original Danish early RF-35 nose type is not available in any boxing or aftermarket set known to me. You will need to do some surgery on a Danish late type RF nose if you want the correct "early type" appearance.

Here is where things start to be complicated. Over the years some 500 modifications were carried out during its service life of 23 years. During the 1970s the Danish Drakens received new altimeters, US ALR-45 radar warning receivers (later upgraded to ALR-65) and chaff and flare dispensers in their tail cones.
𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘: In this phase, all Drakens were in their initial configurations, but with some bells and whistles added. Original nose types, but added formation lights, antennas, dispensers and similar. Check your reference materials and compare them with what is in the box.

During the 1980s the Danish Drakens got an upgrade called WDNS (Weapon Delivery and Navigation System). This upgrade most notably included a Marconi 900 Series HUD and a Ferranti LRMTS (Laser Rangefinder and Marked Target Seeker) which required a new nose to be installed on the F-35 and TF-35. This nose was similar (BUT NOT THE SAME) as the one used on the RF-35 but lacked camera windows on the side. The RF-35's nose was also modified. Electronic warfare capability was also improved as the Danish Drakens were fitted with ALR-69 radar warning receivers (with six antennas on the vertical fin, two on each wingtip and two under the nose) and the ability to carry ALQ-162 jammer pods under the wingtips. The last upgrade was completed in 1986 and updated the systems for weapon aiming and navigation accuracy to a similar capacity of the Danish Air Force's General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcons.
𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘: In this phase ALL TYPES OF DANISH DRAKENS GOT NEW NOSES and a lot of new equipment. It is really difficult to identify every single component. Check your reference materials and compare them with what is in the box. In fact, it is probably easier to build late type RDAF Draken since most of the required parts are available in various kit or aftermarket boxes.

RDAF Draken could carry a wide array of NATO ordnance, such as 10,000 lb (4,535.92 kg) of NATO bombs, but also LAU-10 5” Zuni rocket pods and LAU-3 2,75” rocket pods and AGM-12B Bullpup missiles. For aerial combat it featured two 30 mm ADEN cannons (one on TF variants) and could also mount two AIM-9B Sidewinders (later AIM-9N2s) on the furthest hardpoints.
The RF-35 could not equip the AGM-12B Bullpup. Sometime during their service life the rest of Danish Drakens also lost their ability to mount AGM-12B Bullpups.

𝗗𝗿𝗮𝗸𝗲𝗻𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝗥𝗗𝗔𝗙 𝘀𝗲𝗿𝘃𝗶𝗰𝗲 𝟭𝟵𝟳𝟬/𝟳𝟭 - 𝟭𝟵𝟵𝟯:
F-35 – Fighter-bomber version ESK 725
Code letter A- and numbers from 001 – 020
RF-35 – single-seat reconnaissance version with a camera nose ESK 729
Code letters AR- and numbers from 101 – 120
TF-35 – two-seat trainer aircraft with only one cannon ESK 725/729
Code letters AT- and numbers from 151 – 161

𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗰𝗵𝗲𝗰𝗸 𝗮𝗳𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮 𝘀𝘂𝗯𝗷𝗲𝗰𝘁:
NOSE TYPE, NEW WEAPONS PYLONS, antenna layout, vertical fin top, wing tips, chaff/flare dispensers, formation lights, correct wheel types, correct cockpit type (as close as possible), correct jamming pods for the time period.
DONT USE short tail cone and short intakes, very early (empty) fin tops, early canopy type.

Feel free to comment if there is a mistake or similar, I will update this text then. Also, feel free to discuss or make some recommendations which kit for what...

Take care and enjoy.

http://paulusvictor.com/

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This all looks very nice! I hadn't even seen this thread before, but I just ordered these decals this morning. I expect to do one of the F-100Ds. It is amazing how worn the paint became - I've seen photographs of in-service Danish F-100Ds that look like derelicts, the paint is so bad! I look forward to receiving my set and thank you for coming out with it!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello

this is cover art made for the "Dirty Danes" set. Combination of Vectors and Photoshop drawing, and with Photoshop for the final editing.

Also available as unique NFT on Foundation if anybody collecting stuff like that.

If you have Dirty Dane kit finished with PaulusVictor decal set, post some photos and you will get printable Hi-Res poster file as a gift.

Enjoy and wish You all the best.

spacer.png

Edited by 0viking0
new link
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

Dirty Danes decal set is almost completely sold out and I decided to make a reprint.

I would ask anyone who has seen the set to advise if there is any problem or omission that could be corrected or refined. I would not introduce new subjects or add decals, just possibly do some minor intervention on the instructions or decals if necessary.

I can also send some hi res photos if you want to check out something, but some photos of this set are available on the website paulusvictor.com/

Thank you

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

About to finish a F-104 using the decals and I am very pleased with them. Now how about a set for Silver Danish Jets -

F-84G, F-86D, F-100D/F and T-33 ? There was also a single silver Meteor F8 and of course TF-104Gs and F-84Es but these are perhaps a step too far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone.

Thank you all for your support. Dirty Danes set was sold out and new batch is coming soon. This time this set will be available in several Hobby Shops. I will make the list when and where available.

As I already made a guide for the Danish Drakens (you can find it in earlier posts), here are some instructions for the F-100 Super Sabre.

Correct versions used by RDAF were F-100D (single-seater) and F-100F, also known as TF-100F (two-seater).

They entered service as fighter-bombers and replaced the aging F-84s. They arrived in batches during 1959 and 61.

𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘: First, after you buy the model and decide to assemble it, don't just open the box and put everything together without at least reading the instructions that come with the decals. There are a few details that are specific to the Danish F-100s and they depend on the period.

𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘: The first step in choosing a subject is to try to find as many photos of a particular plane in as narrow a time period as possible. Over the years a lot of modifications were carried out during Super Sabres service life. You will find a lot of photos of the same aircraft with different details.

So here is the short list what to do check:

- FIRST, PLEASE check the nose shape of your kit. For some reason, most of the F-100 kits have some nose shape issues. A serious ones.

- F-100’s were delivered to Denmark with refueling probes, but the probes were removed during 1959. Do not use it on your model kit.

- RDAF F-100s were introduced into service in NMF / metallic or gray paint finish. RDAF began to paint its aircraft in the standard colour known as SM/67, olive green (matt), during late the 1960’s. Even though it is finished in just one color, the paint faded quite rapidly and unfortunately gave the aircraft an untidy appearance. After some time in service, the paint was usually touched up at regular inspection periods. After some time the weathering effects and consistent ‘touch ups’ on the paint inadvertently resulted in a unique camouflage pattern. The weak matt paint durability problem was solved during the late 1970’s when aircraft were re-painted in an extremely gloss variant of the same colour. On the F-100’s, the area around the engine tended to change and lose colour over time due to the internal heat. It was painted just like the rest of the aircraft, but soon faded and melted away to show bare metal titanium. The fuselage ‘burn’ was present no matter how well the aircraft was painted.

- RDAF used different ejection seats. They replaced the original F-100 ejection seat with a Martin Baker Mk. DE-5. This was not a standard MK.5 ejection seat, so it is not easy to find the correct replacement for your kit. Use your reference materials for more information.

- Check photos for the antenna arrangement.

- Make sure you check if you need to modify the wing from the original configuration. ECM on the wingtip came during 1975, wing anti-skid walkway was introduced in 1978, wing stall fences were removed during 1978-1979. Slat-stop, outer part of slats were dismantled after 1979.

- Some RDAF F-100’s introduced F-102 style afterburner during 1978-1979. In the latter half of the 70’s it was believed that several engine failures were due to excessive wear on the original type afterburner. The solution was to replace the original afterburner with one from the F-102.

𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗰𝗵𝗲𝗰𝗸 𝗮𝗳𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮 𝘀𝘂𝗯𝗷𝗲𝗰𝘁 and model kit:

NOSE SHAPE, NEW EJECTION SEAT, antenna layout, wing tips, colour type (matt or gloss), wing anti-skid walkway (if any), wing stall fences (if removed), afterburner type, slat-stop - outer part of slats (if dismantled)

DONT USE: refueling probe, original F-100 ejection seat

Feel free to comment if there is a mistake or similar, I will update this text then. Also, feel free to discuss or make some recommendarions which kit for what...

Take care and enjoy.

http://paulusvictor.com/

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...