RAAF 1/72 P-40N 75SQN & 1APU

G'day all,

Here are a couple of P-40Ns done up on the colours of 75SQN (Special Hobby with Eduard interior) and 1 Aircraft Performance Unit (Academy). 

Both markings are from DK Decals. The 1 APU aircraft is in NMF and painted with Alclad Aluminium while the 75SQN is painted with Tamiya XF-62 Olive Drab and XF-53 Neutral Grey. I went with the NMF as I have some P-51 builds in mind down the track so wanted to test out my skills, which need a fair bit of work in regards to surface preparation while the Olive Drab I found is quite difficult to photograph. 

The 75SQN build was A29-521 "Svengali". On 9 August 1944, 12 aircraft were on a patrol when 3 out of the 4 aircraft in yellow flight suffered a collision. Yellow 3 struck Yellow 1 (A29-521) before becoming locked in an inverted spin with Yellow 4, crashing with the loss of both pilots. The collision ripped off the aileron and 25% off the LH wing from Yellow 1, exploding the .50 cal ammunition. FlgOff Jacklin flew the 200 miles back to base and landed without incident. The aircraft was repaired and later on served with 78 SQN. 

Anyway on the models, hope you enjoy.

JayGee.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Below are some pictures of the real Svengali from the ADF Serials Newsletter, which show how tough these work horses were and the dangers faced in the mopping up faze of the war.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Jay Gee
spelling
  • Like 26

3 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Well done! Two fine looking models. How do you compare both kits?

Thanks Doc. I think the Special Hobby was the better kit, it had better detail and went together with a better fit.

They are both looking excellent. You did an outstanding job. 👍 Thank you for researching and sharing the history of these aircraft. As far as I know No 1 Aircraft Performance Unit was not only testing RAAF aircraft but also some captured Japanese planes.

• Thanks 1