Immediate Post War Target Drone Controls

Ray_W

I will be building a Gloster Meteor U.Mk.16 or 21 in the 2022 STGB using the Red Roo conversion of the Airfix 1/48 F.8 kit.  It has raised a number of questions for me in terms of the operation of this type and any references you can direct me to would be welcome. This information need not be restricted to the Meteor, although I am particularly interested in the 40's and 50's technology.

My immediate question is what visible differences were there, if any, in the cockpit. My chosen subject will be an aircraft in the attractive red and white scheme typical of test aircraft at Woomera, South Australia. As can be seen in the following image the  pilot controls are in place, or there is at least some brave soul taking it for a ride. I expect they were human flown to Woomera.

Meteor U.16 21 conversion 1

Any info would be very helpful.  Possibly Ed @Ed Russell might also have some info he can share.

Ray

• Like 1

The normal controls were left in place as not all flights were pilotless. They used to in the UK at least place the weight of sandbags in the cockpit when unmanned, as evidenced by the sand found in WH453.

There was a small panel low down on the right for additional controls but TBH in 1/48 or 1/72 you would not even notice this, its all black in there anyways. 

Incidently WH453 which im helping to restore has parts from WK800 as evidenced by the original RAAF serial A77-876 on the back of the fuel tank lid

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Julien said:

The normal controls were left in place as not all flights were pilotless.

Thanks Julien. I thought this may be the case. I next wondered how the Meteor operated its control surfaces - cables/pushrods? If so, what mechanism drove them if the pilot was removed.

6 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

I will have a look at some pictures and consult with those more expert in this area.

Thanks Ed. Greatly appreciated. I am finding it a very interesting topic in its own right.

13 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Canberra U.10 ground and air controls let me know

Thanks John, also very interested. 

Ray

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

If you want to get into the guts of a Meteor this thread on UKAR is amazing

Excellent link! Appreciated.

I have got pictures of the cockpit of U.16 WK800, this is still in the condition it was in when it left service. However I really don't know how much the cockpit would have varied between use in Australia, and its later career at Llanbedr.  The owner is a good friend, I can ask for more information a she is very knowledgeable about this subject.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

The owner is a good friend, I can ask for more information a she is very knowledgeable about this subject.

Hi James,

Thank you for the response. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ray