ZELL

RidgeRunner

Of course, there's an obvious error in the train of thought that instigated this idea. 

"Now we can take off when we don't have a runway!"

Ok, smartpants, how about landing?

The Soviet rocket motor was almost smokeless, it seems, yet the NATO propellant is certainly more impressive 😉

I found this clip providing some additional info on the Luftwaffe's ZELL program, though I cannot vouch for historical / technical accuracy. They also mention another program called SATS, involving catapult launches.

Edited by Sierra Mike Sierra

On 12/9/2021 at 12:26 AM, Orso said:

If I could find drawings of the launch pad I wouldn't mind build a F-104 on one.

Hi Orso

If its any help I made a go at the US ZELL version in a previous Starfighter Group Build but never posted in the RFI . I will post some shots in the RFI shortly

I

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 12/5/2021 at 4:32 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Just to keep the balance and show it wasn't just our American friends who had thought of it ;) 

Martin

I'm pretty sure the FAA thought it up originally. The ZELL is a clear development of the rocket catapult used with Sea Hurricanes on CAM ships in WW2.
It's of course a specific JATO/RATO development and that dates to Germany in the 1920's originally, although as far as I'm aware the first to combine launch rails and RATO was the Royal Navy. 

Edited by Adam Maas