Churchill mk. V CS 95mm

Npal21

This is my completed 1/35 AFV CLUB Churchill CS 95mm. I have added a partial turret interior from resicast, 3d printed besa barrels and air intake grills, Eureka tow cables. The vehicle itself is finished,  stowage will be added when I build the diorama. 

For this build it's the 1st time I've used artist oils for a dot filter, used 3d printed parts and used lacquer paint for the tracks base colour.

This vehicle is depicted as a 4th battalion, Coldstream Guards, No. 1 Squadron HQ tank  6th June 1944 . Overall I am very happy with the result. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thats a great effort and very well finished. Got one of these in the stash along with a few other versions of the kit. Like the welds on the track around the turret as i can't recall seeing this done before 👍

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks @Stef N. and @fatfingers! Its been a 6 month build including a move of house in there!

I enjoyed this build and variant of the Churchill so much I ordered the same kit again.

I read the 6th Guards Tank Brigade by Patrick Forbes, and learned a lot about the stowage and armour added. Also a few other refrence books I can't recall off the top of my head but will find and reference. 

Here is a pic of one of my refrences. The name of the tank was Barossa, after the 1811 Battle of Barrossa, Spain.  Somewhere down the line it became a single r, not the original spelling. I believe a veteran of that battle settled in South Australia and of an important position named the wine region in remembrance of his fellow soldiers. Happy to be corrected. 

spacer.png

Edited by Npal21
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Lovely!

As I mentioned in the wip, great build, super finish.:thumbsup:

I would say you've inspired me to dig one out and build it, if I could just get some of these other builds finished! :shrug:

Great work, looking forward to the next. 

Darryl 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the feedback. This has been put in my display cabinet while I work on the crew and diorama. 

@Buzby061 I feel you. The roadwheels alone on the churchill are tedious, but they are well designed by AFV CLUB. Do you have a link for you avre? I have that one in my stash and would be keen to see your progress.

9 hours ago, Npal21 said:

Thank you all for the feedback. This has been put in my display cabinet while I work on the crew and diorama. 

@Buzby061 I feel you. The roadwheels alone on the churchill are tedious, but they are well designed by AFV CLUB. Do you have a link for you avre? I have that one in my stash and would be keen to see your progress.

I don't do WIPs due to my glacial build rate. I found this on here that eases the pain with the suspension a little. Used it on my current build & the Carpet Layer I did a few years ago.

Pete

• Thanks 1

One small point, if I may. You've made the welds for your improvised turret track hangers rusty.  For all practical purposes - certainly the purposes of AFV modelling - weld metal does not rust.  Not even after decades out in the open. Rusty range wrecks still have shiny welds.

The alloy with manganese used for tracks did not generally show orangey rust tones either.  It tended to be more of a milk chocolate oxide, weathering to a dark chocolate.

• Thanks 1