Eduard's Messerschmitt Bf 109F-4 (Fuerza Aérea Argentina)

The story so far: In order to keep it as at least a neutral country, the Third Reich offered Argentina a batch of 10 brand new Bf 109F-4s. These aircraft were numbered from I-101 to I-110. 

In order to improve the aircraft's performance, the Argentinian Air Force asked Messerschmitt to leave the 109s in bare metal, the only areas receiving some sort of "camouflage" being the fabric covered control surfaces. The Argentinian flag was painted in the rudder.

The 10 aircraft were then given to the newly created Grupo 5 de Caza (5th Fighter Group) based at the Moròn Air Base in Buenos Aires.

After the war, the ten 109s were scrapped. No remains were left.

Footnote: This is a what if story, don't do as the Argentinian modellers did by believing it. Grupo 5 de Caza was also based at Villa Reynolds (San Luís, Argentina), and was established in 1966. They used the A-4 Skyhawks.

I was inspired to make this what if after seeing a profile of an Fw 190A-4 in bare metal and with Argentinian colours. 

The kit chosen for this was the Weekend Edition of the Eduard 1:48 Bf 109F-4. 

Some fit issues, the instrument panel had to be trimmed so the fuselage halves could close properly. And the forward parts of the wheelwells needed to be sanded down so the upper wings could mate with the lower wings.

Decals came from my spares box.

FsiMIIu.jpeg

xERMkQS.jpeg

mhle2PK.jpeg

lpiCInI.jpeg

SFIeNAE.jpeg

CWFRZRQ.jpeg

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, opus999 said:

That turned out marvelous!  I love the natural metal finish and the markings look great against the silver.  Quick build too!

11 hours ago, mick said:

great work

12 hours ago, Remus389 said:

Very nice, I like it very much! 👍

19 hours ago, Tunguska said:

Nice one!👏

I like a credible what-if backstory. It allows for some interesting aircraft colour schemes and markings.

Thank you all!