Sevans Dalek restoration

On 08/12/2021 at 16:54, Aku said:

I believe I still have the instructions somewhere, and I traced some of the parts like the "bands" that wraps around the shoulder. I should be able to scan those if needed. 

Will need a slight correction as I traced it, so it some plans will be a pencil width thicker

And if it all goes wrong, you can always fall back to making one of the SEvans Exterminated models

3fd1e-1_5_dalek_instructions_3.jpeg

Hi  Aku , think I may take you up on the offer of  the scanned collar templates as the instructions I was kindly given arrived minus the collar  and mesh templates .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made  a new disc for the dome from 2mm abs sheet,  also made some new collars   from .75mm abs and  slat mesh from Isopon   mesh  with the aid of  some templates Aku  a fellow Britmodeller kindly  sent me  links for .     Have also prepped the body, had to fettle quite a bit as the previous builder hadnt removed a lot of the risidual material from the initial cut out of parts  and  then filled  with the use of Mr surfacer 500 and 1000 ready to lay some primer down before more prep and filler primer .

51806799405_c935f9cf80_z.jpg51806191213_8a5979ba06_z.jpg51806798350_bbb9110ebb_z.jpg51806072691_cd655a6306_z.jpg

Edited by pockets
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing this one progress - it's already looking a lot tidier than the state it arrived in. I have two - one purchased back in 198X and half started at the time, which then lived in a box in the loft until I found it and finally finished it off about 6/7 years ago, and a second one which was obtained via eBygum in a rather dilapidated state with bits missing and which needed restoration, much like this one. They are very impressive when finished! Just wish I'd had the forethought to buy more back in the day - have you seen what a Davros fetches these days?!

• Like 3

Thanks Galligraphics,  yes the last Davros sold went for around £170 . Bit more progress, have scratch built a gun  from abs plastic tube  for the    barrel and collars and some 0.8mm brass rod for the cage,  gunna add some petg clear for the 3 hex parts of the early type mark1 gun later .Also fabricated a plunger arm from ally  and abs tube .

51828861743_608b3db9f8_z.jpg51828860838_fd00bf6209_z.jpg51829469160_028cfee6e1_z.jpg

Edited by pockets
  • Like 6

Have made some extra slats from ally to make them up to 17 as  a few missing  ,  also  fabricated 6 eyestalk discs  from 1mm plasticard as there were only 3 usable and want to make the mk1  version .

Primed the main body.  Also discovered the previous builder had put the resin domelights inside the old yellowed larger later lights so broke the outer away and am going to utilize them with a few mods . Also made the octagon parts for the early gun from 1mm PETG .

51840156966_76915d34ea_z.jpg51840157821_d24dd9baf6_z.jpg51840273188_ae606b9260_z.jpg51840272988_8a9f230565_z.jpg51839213092_5c510848da_z.jpg51840163436_90f66848da_z.jpg

• Like 11

What a stunning transformation! 

I've never built a Sevans Dalek kit but have done a couple of Comet Miniatures and building the skirt to me is always the trickiest part of the job and especially with what you were dealing with, you've done a fantastic job!

• Like 1

This is looking good. I have a half built kit from the 80's that has moved around the universe with me (more than the Daleks themselves) and needs a lot of TLC - Perhaps a complete disassembly like yours is in order. The plunger is long gone and I have been struggling with an idea for a replacement. What did you use?

• Like 2

Thanks  Pete F . Do you mean the plunger itself or the telescopic arm? if the plunger itself then someone kindly donated me one from  of 1 of his Sevans  Movie Dalek kits as they come with both the claw and  sink plunger. Id'e  deffo go for a rebuild but if the skirt is still in good order Id'e leave intact and just prep it for a respray , do you have some pics of it as is ?

Edited by pockets
  • Like 1

Thanks pockets. 

These are pictures of the skirt. The main problem is that it has seen a few attempts to fill the gaps over the years and now the glue is failing in places and in others it is proving stubborn to get the parts free. The plunger is proving harder that I thought to source. I think I might try and get one printed (new tech since I last thought about it).

This work was done in 1985 - it represents my deep shelf of doom. It is stored in a box from a coffee maker that has been gone so long it has been replaced about five times since.

51852875717_7886f461b5_k.jpg

51853917858_f2b58f8aa6_k.jpg

51853838561_7865d31a8e_k.jpg

• Like 6

What type of glue did you use ?, some recommend  putting in freezer overnight , I just gently teased the more stubborn joints apart, getting blade gradually into the seam and letting time and the force gradually prize the joint apart , the glue that the original builder used on mine  may have been uhu or bostick perhaps. Patience is key , just do  a bit and leave for a while .

Edited by pockets
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pockets said:

some recommend  putting in freezer overnight

Thanks pockets - I hadn't heard of the freezer trick. I shall give it a go.

• Like 1

It was poly cement but the old school style in tubes. As we speak it is starting to come apart quite nicely so it looks like a skirt rebuild is in order. The main problem is that where I have filled and sanded over the years some of the pieces have thinned edges. I am currently thinking of rebuilding them with some home made liquid poly mix, applied then sanded to match the original width. I can't see another way to do it. BTW what did you use to remove the paint in the end. Mine is enamel - mixture of gloss black and matt grey - probably Humbrol 1970s/80s vintage. Does your other site mention potential classic Dalek plunger replacements? If it is the site I sometimes frequent they tended to concentrate on the full size versions (something else on my list).

• Like 1

Id'e reinforce from the back of panel  with some plasticard glued as the instructions recommend ,  and then filler in the panel seams , I used some Vallejo acrylic plastic putty as a gap filler [works a bit like decorators caulking]  and then mr hobby    1000  brushed to fine tune   and then sanded. If u read the thread it mentions what I used to remove paint. Just be carefull using to much glue as the vacformed panels tend to melt , i wouldnt use a polly putty to fill as it may cause more problems . its difficult to sand between the hemis , I used home made  sanding tools made from  wooden  clothing pegs and lolly sticks  with wetndry of various grades superglued on  and sanded wet , and lots of patience . Printing maybe the answer for the plunger , maybe somone on here or project dalek will help u out , maybe do a build diary on PD.

51856635895_b798987420_z.jpg

Edited by pockets
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pockets said:

thread it mentions what I used to remove paint

Sorry, I had read the part where you had ordered some but missed the bit where you said you had used it. I shall get some. Thanks for all the good advice, it is much appreciated and has spurred me on to get mine finally finished.

• Like 1

Your welcome , hope to see your WIP  in the near future . Like i say it may be worth asking on project dalek for a plunger as the movie dalek kits have one in them that  people dont use as they utilize the claw . Or people do scale scratch  builds at 1/5 and print them .

Edited by pockets

excellent project, these kits are getting rarer and harder to obtain, I understand there was a copyright issue with Terry Nation's estate, shame about that or they may have made more, I built the Michael Wisher Davros in 1993, the original and best Davros, they never managed to capture the original look again after Michael was unable to reprise the role, wish I hadn't sold it on now, I would have an LED set in it now. Watching this with interest.

• Like 2

Nice Collection of VW Bugs you have there, is the paint worn one an original 60's Dinky? Your work on the Dalek is an inspiration, thanks for sharing it with us. It's gonna be a stunner.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic project. I have a few Sevans kits I have collected over the years. Dalek, Davros, cyber man and an ice warrior that was part of the longleat collection. Picked it up for a bargain on eBay. Mint too. Almost scared to make them considering the price these days. 😩 I have a Dalek that I made when I picked a kit up from the NEC at a memorabilia show in the 90s. I wasn’t that great at modelling then and although it’s made it through many a house move he’s looking a little tired. I’ll tag along if I may and get some tips. Sounds like a good way to scratch that Dalek itch without using a boxed one. 😀

you’re doing a stellar job by the way.

Bravo.

👏👏👏👏

Johnny.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pockets, slight thread deviation, share your interest in VW, a couple in the display, planning to add more.

spacer.png

also have a full size one slowly returning to the road.

spacer.png

I have a mint Sevans Dalek I'm going to start soon, I'm going for the colour Scheme from my all time favourite Dalek episode, Genesis of the Daleks. That should be interesting. So your thread on it is very helpful and informative.

spacer.png  

• Like 4