Dassault Super Mystère, Israeli Air Force

Dear fellow-modellers,

let me present to you my latest completion, Special Hobby's Super Mystère in 1/72. This was actually the Sa'ar kit (the re-engined variant), but it contains all the parts for the standard Super Mystère. I could even use the kit's decals because I found photos of 909 before it was converted.

The kit is well-detailed and easy to work with. However, the panel lines (as with many kits today) are too broad and soft for my taste. But I am becoming a grumpy old man in this (?) respect ("today's panel lines are not half as good as they used to be in the 1990s!" Which is true btw).

The Super Mystère booklet by Isradecals was a great source of photos and additional information. I hope to add a Ouragan to this model more or less soon. And some day maybe a Mystère IV or a Vautour or ...

Any comments welcome!

i1Ru1XH.jpg

LwhnGao.jpg

trJVYyx.jpg

z6ibBY1.jpg

2g6AEg2.jpg

• Like 34

Great model! I like the look of original Super Mystere more than that after engine replacement. Good to know you can make a pre-conversion variant with kit decals. And I agree Special Hobby gets you very Airfixy panel lines with recent releases :(

• Thanks 1

Very nice model- my favorite scheme, too! A very handsome jet that gave the Israeli AF sterling service for many years. Well done!The engine and tailpipe modification was a real improvement, but I have to agree with the majority that the original configuration was nicer looking. :like: 

Mike

• Thanks 1

Would a light coat of Mr. Surfacer help tone down the panel lines? Model experts, help me on this one. As for the Super Mystere, it's one of my favorite airplanes and the completed model represents it very well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Would a light coat of Mr. Surfacer help tone down the panel lines? 

I thought about something like this, too. However, I guess it would make the panel lines less deep, but even softer. Maybe it is worth a try.

I prefer the panel lines Hasegawa, Fujimi, Tamiya, Academy and others did a quarter of a century ago and earlier. Today, Eduard for example is also very good. I guess, it has something to do with mould making technology and costs.

Filling everything with putty and sanding it smooth would be an alternative, too. Some would say, this is the most realistic option, but the model might look a bit bland as a result.

3 minutes ago, Doc72 said:

I prefer the panel lines Hasegawa, Fujimi, Tamiya, Academy and others did a quarter of a century ago and earlier. Today, Eduard for example is also very good. I guess, it has something to do with mould making technology and costs.

Fully agree. Japanese manufacturers as well as some folks like ESCI in Europe nailed panel lines technology 30 years back.

With short-run I'd rather choose super delicate panel lines from folks like Sword - you can easily make lines deeper if you wish.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tigerman60 said:

Very nice model. I don't care about  the panel lines. I don't care. I like your model. Witch colors/ paint brand you used? I building the AZ kit.... Terrible kit.

Well, your experience with AZ then reconciles me with Special Hobby. Their kit really went together quite well.

I used Tamiya XF-18 for the blue, a mixture of Mr. Color H66+H72 for the brown and XF-83 (if I remember correctly, maybe with some white added) for the grey underside.

In the literature it mostly says this Israeli camouflage scheme is RAL 5008, 8008 and 7044. I never understood whether the IAF actually used paints according to RAL standards (maybe sourced from a West German or European company) or if these RAL numbers are just ex-post interpretations by historians/modellers.