Strelets 1/72 6" MK XIX Cannon conversion to 7.2"

echen

A long time ago I had the Tamiya 1/16 Tiger II, the Leopard and the Sherman 105. Only the Sherman remains, rather the worse for 20 odd years in the loft.

Since then we downsized and 1/72 is the limit.

Edited by echen
  • Like 1

Somebody used to draw British artillery plans (Ken Musgrave?) if you can find one for this then I'd get some scratch and use it to build your own. Then you can assemble this POS and compare the two at any shows that may occur. That would get you an OBE for Public Service I'd think.

I've fought some junk but that is far worse than anything I've tackled. Ever.

There's some stuff HERE that may help.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2021 at 4:07 PM, echen said:

I've got a load of IBG, Revell, Academy and even H*s*g*wa to put together so, why, I ask myself, am I bothering with this garbage?

I do exactly the same.....I have countless wonderful Heller & Dragon 1/72 Shermans. 

Which ones do I actually build? 

Unimodel, Italeri, Extratech & Trumpeter.  :rolleyes:

IMHO it's a combination of the challenge of making something better than it probably should be and the risk of doing a less than perfect job on a kit that deserves better.....I don't much care if I mess up kits that were poor to start with.  ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Had another gander at this abomination today. Sanded a couple of bits -and put it back on the shelf of doom........................

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Little by little! You will get there…

OK, I give in - I'll try some more.

y4mrVkoGmUiJ09NOF_Rk_QDzW7ZTfNUO9nB413_Q

The gun barrel is oval with flats top and bottom at the seams. Trying to build it up to round it off.

The carriage components fit where they touch and the less said about the balloon wheels the better. They need to be much taller so I will have to find a way to achieve that.

Apart from that its going really well!

• Like 5

@sandsmodels Milicast also do a QF 7.2" / 8" Howitzer / 6" Gun on Mk.VIII Carriage (WWII version) artillery piece that could fulfil the role I intended for the strelets. It looks shed loads better.

Edited by echen

Tidier, but not enough.

y4m_Di7k2Cjc9EuqG_INhRGpxdvAaKS0lTi4_bw-

I think a new barrel is called for...........................................

Edited by echen
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/9/2022 at 7:56 PM, echen said:

Or a GBB placed under it on a short timer.........💥

On 09/08/2022 at 19:56, echen said:

Roll up, roll up, have I got the GB for you! A once in a lifetime opportunity to build something you aren’t happy with at all, and have fun and frolics with your fellow forumeers, all in the same boat.

Coming to a forum near you in April 2023…

Not My Comfort Zone GB

I might even have to break out my worst kit (Merlin Hawker Hind) to keep you company!

Regards,

Adrian :)

• Thanks 1

On 04/12/2021 at 13:28, echen said:

I suspect that this is my first and last Strelets kit.

It is a bit disappointing.

Words like "breakfast" and "dog" come to mind.

Having built a few of the finely detailed Zvezda kits from our friends in Russia I had high hopes for this artillery piece.

I'd planned to display it with an IBG R100 Scammel Artillery Tractor but I think the contrast in quality might let the IBG kit down considerably. (Unless I can REALLY raise my game and turn out a silk purse here.)

y4mbSFTly2Hze1mxrN9bNzPoeroe7KwHsDVF26Th

The box art displays quite a detailed piece of weaponry. Unfortunately the detail is not reflected in the plastic.

y4m4Si6FTMNoI73zFdeoSU4dQ3qObQSKiZuwFPsT

The destructions are on the back of the box and just show where the parts go but no order of construction.

y4mwrt0RhzZ0r2aFzU0QVSgZTc_dYybeBAJjMnTe

One side of the sprues.

y4mdcXGH7u-uCHFL-MPkm4v6Ss1MxTZsHKYLRxDj

The other side of the sprues.

Some of the parts are attached by really hefty chunks of plastic and will need care in removal from the sprue and re-shaping. Other parts are poorly moulded and appear to have been stressed.

y4mWVYbeZcdtEo9KGf9URmxJau4DeX3gyvPYJ6iQ

The outside of the wheels looks reasonable, if a little wobbly.

y4mJlUFVhvmdxRb5950W8RfsrLXitCypJl9g0A4A

The inside faces have no locating points and appear to be a little distorted.

y4m51p-jghMJ1g8y0q_Kl4edbUVXjtabeu4byAfY

The tread marks are only depicted on the shoulder of the tires, unlike the box art. The face of the tires are slicks - perhaps this is a racing gun?

y4muMC5yytwFYYr4rYR-LPd0snnFG4k59G5nk13o

The gun barrel is going to need a lot of work, methinks. The stress marks will be covered by the paint but the flared muzzle is going to be a different story..................

Might even have to make a new one! There are only a couple of locating guides at the bottom of the barrel but nothing at the top.

The gun crews all appear to be related to Mr Blobby except that they're not wearing the same multicoloured suits.

y4mS3yDwTAIeIFa7RAih7TJGBF5nYwL84qg3v1h0

When I think I could have got a different gun from another manufacturer (Even a Ha**g*wa 155 Long Tom which I rejected in favour of the Strelets) )for less than I paid for this my disappointment grows by the minute. 😭

I was having the same idea of building this gun and mate it with IBG's Scammell Pioneer artillery tractor. In fact I was, from the start, going for the 7.2" gun, as they shared the same carriage. 

Your post had me rethinking it, but I do want to have a medium/heavy gun for the Scammell. So, any recommendations? 

14 minutes ago, Armor Novice said:

So, any recommendations? 

@Armor Novice Nothing from Strelets abominations! 😁

Have a gander at the Milicast QF 7.2" / 8" Howitzer / 6" Gun on Mk.VIII Carriage (WWII version) artillery piece that could fulfil the role we intended for the strelets. It looks shed loads better and would look well behind the IBG tractor.

(It looks good in their advert but I have not seen an actual build. Maybe someone else has?