1/48 Academy F-4C SEA Camouflage

I recently finished this model for the F-4 Phantom II group build. Build log is here:

While no Tamiya shake and bake, definately a nice kit and i highly recommend it. Everything was out of box except Eduard missiles, and Hasegawa M117 and cluster bombs. Painted mostly with Gaia Paints and Mr Color Paints. Gunze Aqueous also used for some colours but thinned with laquer thinners. The clear matt went a tiny bit chalky at the end but we're calling it scale dust.

I think this load out would have been slightly more than allowed but with enough runway and maybe a touch less fuel on board I'm sure she could take off! 

I highly recommend checking out the group build forums, and joining one or two when there is something which tickles your fancy. It's really good for stash reduction which is my main reason for being there!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 65
  • Thanks 2

An absolute Show stopper! Never saw this heavy weapon load before, but it really dangerous ….Must be a nightmare for the enemy. 
All in all it makes me very envious, also because it looks more than 1/48 scale.

Nice job! 

Andy

• Like 1

If my math was right, that's over 14,000 pounds of munitions. I suspect you're right about it being overloaded but, on the other hand, the load sure is impressive. And your Phantom is wonderful!

• Like 1

That is really, really, really nice!

Having said that, I believe the underside gray may be too dark. In fact, the original aircraft might have had white undersides. F-4Cs sent to Vietnam early in the war were painted gray & white. Camo was applied over the gray but often the undersides were left white. Here's an example:

50631456422_7ce1d0a4f3_o.jpg 

Note also the upside-down national insignia on the lower wing!

Maybe someone who knows more about Phantom colors than I do (and, that ain't much) can say what is correct for SCAT XXVII.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, billn53 said:

That is really, really, really nice!

Having said that, I believe the underside gray may be too dark. In fact, the original aircraft might have had white undersides. F-4Cs sent to Vietnam early in the war were painted gray & white. Camo was applied over the gray but often the undersides were left white. Here's an example:

50631456422_7ce1d0a4f3_o.jpg 

Note also the upside-down national insignia on the lower wing!

Maybe someone who knows more about Phantom colors than I do (and, that ain't much) can say what is correct for SCAT XXVII.

Interesting! I just used the instructions colour call outs and the paints I could find here. Another factor is a lack of light coloured primer availability, so the primer I am using is a dark gunship grey. That has probably darkened the underside colour also.

Having said that.... now I want to build a SEA phantom with bright navy white undersides! And one with black. So many phantoms and so little time!

Thanks for the info. Really great to have a community with so many knowledgeable people. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SAT69 said:

If my math was right, that's over 14,000 pounds of munitions. I suspect you're right about it being overloaded but, on the other hand, the load sure is impressive. And your Phantom is wonderful!

Phantom was 18,650 lbs with all 5 external stations loaded. So not overloaded, but probably wouldn’t get very far without tanks

• Like 3

1 hour ago, simont382 said:

Amazing looking build, certainly one to be proud of! Now, what's that 'helps reduce the stash' bit?? Is that allowed or even possible??

Reduce the stash with the intention of buying even more! I have a rule that my stash when piled up should not be taller than my significant other. So it's a balancing act.

But I could just get a taller wife too 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 2