Jump to content

Gunze´s Interior Green, US, H58?


Paramedic
 Share

Recommended Posts

No of course not. Drank too much beer and thought I was clever. I was not.😚

 

Yeah, I can mix it. But I have an MRP bottle too. Pretty stupid to suddenly change the shade like that. It is not "Interior Green".

Was not aware they changed their formula a few years ago? What other US colours where changed, if any? RAF WW2?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe there was no official standard for Interior Green until after the war, when it became FS 34154. During the war it was simply "tinted zinc chromate," so there was definitely variation from manufacturer to manufacturer, or even batch to batch, depending on how much black was added to the ZC. The new Gunze formulation may be "accurate" for some historical situation. Also, FWIW, I've got a bottle of Mr. Color IG. The cap color is definitely garish, but the actual paint color doesn't look bad to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tank152 said:

Mr Color has gone the same way. 🤬

Can you get hold of AK Real Color or Hataka Orange Line? They're  both very good paints, i've got the RC Interior Green and that looks fine.

 

I can, but I will probably just use what i have left, mix Tamiya or use that MRP.  Or, on the other hand, maybe this is when i test AK RC? ;) I have never done that.

 

17 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

I believe there was no official standard for Interior Green until after the war, when it became FS 34154. During the war it was simply "tinted zinc chromate," so there was definitely variation from manufacturer to manufacturer, or even batch to batch, depending on how much black was added to the ZC. The new Gunze formulation may be "accurate" for some historical situation. Also, FWIW, I've got a bottle of Mr. Color IG. The cap color is definitely garish, but the actual paint color doesn't look bad to me.

 

Well, they had a decent match for wartime Interior Green, why ruin that. st.. Wait.. (And i have taken a beer - no more posting after this if i drink another.. ;) )

Seriously - what they have now is not "interior green" but more Zinc Chromate. Atleast call it that or change numbers. What they did is st... Not the most clever thing, now is it?

 

Yeah their new formula might be accurate for the ZC before black was added.. But not for what would be called "Interior green". I like their paints, but this was a bummer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

I agree that it's frustrating when a model paint is changed for no good reason, but this time there may be an advantage - the new formula seems to be (at least on my monitor) a decent match for Yellow Green, the early war color that evolved into Interior Green in May 1943.  Here's a nine-year-old piece that might help explain what I'm talking about:

 

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/showandtell1yellowgreendb_1.htm

 

Cheers,

 

 


Dana

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Dana Bell said:

Hi all,

 

I agree that it's frustrating when a model paint is changed for no good reason, but this time there may be an advantage - the new formula seems to be (at least on my monitor) a decent match for Yellow Green, the early war color that evolved into Interior Green in May 1943.  Here's a nine-year-old piece that might help explain what I'm talking about:

 

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/showandtell1yellowgreendb_1.htm

 

Cheers,

 

 


Dana

 

Ah ok - spontaneously it looks a little too pale? But I should shoot it through my AB first i guess.

it is great if they get, release a great match for that of course - but do not call it "Interior Green" and use the same number as for their older colour that is actually - interior green-ish? ;) Ok, I am repeating myself but.. They could have handled it much better. I ordered this online and had no idea it was not the same shade as the jar I was replacing. And yes, i can mix in black but.. To me it is st.. Not greatly handled.

 

Thanks for the link - and all previous work by the way. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Adam Maas said:


Yes, ANA 611 is Interior Green

It was Yellow Zinc Chromate that was just mixed up on the fly and could vary (although within a reasonable range, the mix ratios were published IIRC).

Tinted Zinc Chromate was Zinc Chromate (naturally yellow) mixed with some black to darken it into a yellowish green. AFAIK, many, if not most manufacturers were doing that for their cockpit and interior paints for at least most of the war. According to what I've read, the standard mixing ratio of ZC and black to produce ANA 611 was published in September 1943, but it didn't necessarily go into immediate use with all manufacturers. Some, like Curtiss, had their own interior green mixes produced for them by specific paint companies and would presumably have had considerable stock on hand. I apologize for misspeaking in saying that the official standard for Interior Green was only postwar, but it seems clear to me that there was plenty of variation even after the arrival of ANA 611.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes - and which is fine. But this new shade should not be called Interior Green.

 

I guess there is no other shade they have, that resembles the old H58?

I will try with 10% black and see how I like it..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GSI-Creos changed some of the hues in their Mr. Hobby Color Aqueous line a couple of years ago to more closely correspond with the analogous colors in the lacquer Mr. Color line.  This was done at the same time that the Aqueous line was reformulated to improve drying time and hardness and reduce odor.  So, yes, the H58 Interior Green no longer looks like interior green. I agree that it was a retrograde step, particularly since some of these colors were a better match for the prototype color in the Mr. Hobby line than in the Mr. Color line.  

 

At the same time, the Mr. Color line's been expanded.  Many of the colors that were previously available in the boxed sets are now available as single bottles, such as C351 "Zinc Chromate Type 1/FS 34151", whic is a close match to the "old" H58 and a good match for the FS chip.  They also offer C384 "Cockpit Color(Kawanishi)", which is a good variation on the familiar "interior green" hue.

 

As others have suggested, you can just add black to the "new" H58, or you can mix black into to Tamiya's XF4 Yellow Green until you get an appropriate shade of Interior Green.  Adding further tints of grey, flat aluminum, green  or blue can yield other WW2-era variations on the specified color. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GPBooth said:

GSI-Creos changed some of the hues in their Mr. Hobby Color Aqueous line a couple of years ago to more closely correspond with the analogous colors in the lacquer Mr. Color line.  This was done at the same time that the Aqueous line was reformulated to improve drying time and hardness and reduce odor.  So, yes, the H58 Interior Green no longer looks like interior green. I agree that it was a retrograde step, particularly since some of these colors were a better match for the prototype color in the Mr. Hobby line than in the Mr. Color line.  

 

At the same time, the Mr. Color line's been expanded.  Many of the colors that were previously available in the boxed sets are now available as single bottles, such as C351 "Zinc Chromate Type 1/FS 34151", whic is a close match to the "old" H58 and a good match for the FS chip.  They also offer C384 "Cockpit Color(Kawanishi)", which is a good variation on the familiar "interior green" hue.

 

As others have suggested, you can just add black to the "new" H58, or you can mix black into to Tamiya's XF4 Yellow Green until you get an appropriate shade of Interior Green.  Adding further tints of grey, flat aluminum, green  or blue can yield other WW2-era variations on the specified color. 

Good to know about Mr. Color C351, thanks!

 

I just pulled out my jar of Mr. Color C27 Interior Green. I remember when I bought it that the color of the plastic cap looked like a caricature of IG — more like chartreuse — but that the paint inside was quite different and much closer to what I visualize as IG. I just painted a swatch and compared it to my FS 34151 chip: I would characterize it as an excellent match, just about dead on.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They have wrecked some of the other WWII colours too...the 75 Dark Sea Grey which was a good match for RAF Ocean Grey is now some washed out light grey..H72 RAF Dark Earth is now a dull brown..there some other Aqueous colours you might want to check out as a match for the H58..H16 Yellow Green...H 26 Bright Green...H46 Emerald Green and H6 Green they all seem to a bright yellowish green

 

Leslie 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, good to know about other paints changed too.. Time to get some more MRP paints.. Glad I got a new mask and better ventilation.. ;) But too bad, my favs are Gunze Aqueous and tamiya acrylics really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paramedic said:

Thanks, good to know about other paints changed too.. Time to get some more MRP paints.. Glad I got a new mask and better ventilation.. ;) But too bad, my favs are Gunze Aqueous and tamiya acrylics really.

In my opinion MRP are far better than Aqueous, which like yourself I used to use so all isn't lost. It isn't the end of the world about H58, just annoying.

Don't forget to try out Hataka Orange line or AK Real Colors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tank152 said:

In my opinion MRP are far better than Aqueous, which like yourself I used to use so all isn't lost. It isn't the end of the world about H58, just annoying.

Don't forget to try out Hataka Orange line or AK Real Colors.

 

Yes, I will probably try those too. I have bought quite a few MRPs - but I know my Tamiya and Gunze paints so well - and they stink less, even with Mr Levelling Thinner. It is quite fun trying new stuff though..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

 

Yes, I will probably try those too. I have bought quite a few MRPs - but I know my Tamiya and Gunze paints so well - and they stink less, even with Mr Levelling Thinner. It is quite fun trying new stuff though..

It's a shame we can no longer post paint, i'll certainly have a un opened bottle of the original H58, i'd have gladly given it you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice of you. :) I have for quite a few aircraft of the old - and I will look at the local store if they still carry a few of the old. You never know. So no crisis but still very kind of you.

 

And earleir today, I was about to spray the OD under the canopy, at the back of my Revell P-47N.. A little distracted by an exciting podcast - I grabbed the IG instead of OD.. And then as I sprayed - Hang on, this ain´t right. If I did not do stupid things like that, I would last forever.. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...