Ammo by Mig books/mags advice

Firebuild

Hi all

looking for some advice on buying some of the Ammo by Mig books and Mags. there looks like a lot of cross over. There are the encyclopaedias, solutions books and the weathering magazines. I'm thinking a lot of the info is duplicated in the various releases. can anyone guide me on what's best to get?

I am a relative beginner primarily looking at shading, weathering techniques etc. I build mainly WW2 armoured and other military vehicles.

Thanks!

All of his productions are basically a showroom for his products.

The books more beneficial to what you want to learn are Michael Rinaldi's Tank-Art books.

https://www.rinaldistudiopress.com/ 

They can be purchased from a number of book sellers here in the UK.

He also has a YouTube channel where you can watch him put into practice what he shows in his books.

https://youtube.com/c/RinaldiStudioPress

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I purchased the first few Weathering magazines which while ok, I got fed up with all their products getting constantly plugged. 

AK Interactive are just as bad at it in their publications. 

My advice for @Firebuildwould be to take a look at Mike Rinaldi's YouTube channel, which won't cost a penny and if he likes what he sees then purchase the books.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 books from Ammo on their way, hopefully before the holidays. It's the RFM tiger book, Luftwaffe solution book, How to paint buildings, and how to paint early german tanks. I'll gladly share ny thoughts when I get them.

Even though they're basically show cases for their products, I thought it was good to have something I could keep an eye on when working on a model, not having to go back and forth in a YouTube video, with an ad popping up every two minutes. 

EDIT: but looking at those Rinaldi-books, they look pretty good as well! 

Edited by ShogunBallistic
comment
  • Like 1

I would highly recommend Mr Rinaldi's publications and videos.

I am that impressed with his work and approach that I even subscribe to his Patreon account.

His works are focussed on his method and approach as opposed to the named products books which are there to promote their wares.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got my books at last from Spain and have given them a quick glance. Yes, they're filled with AMMO products, but I'm not stupider than I can translate their stuff to the stuff I have (or use the Paintrack App to find other colors). My main problem with the youtube videos has been the "here is my model andhereiamweatheringandpushingoilseverywhere-done"-approach a lot of them have. I want to have something that I can mark and go back to 6 months later.

The books look good, they are well thought out and everything is shown in stages (with the compulsory clean brush pushed against the model). I bought the "how to paint early german tanks" to get more info on the grey schemes, and the RFM book to get a bunch of other schemes, and they both work well for this. I also got them to get information on details such as exhaust pipes and stowage, and they both have this as well. The Luftwaffe-book I think is good to build any airplane with since the approach versus armour is so much different and it will help me keeping the correct order of things. The buildings-book I think can be good to reference for the few times that you actually build buildings, again going to back to the sections that one actually needs.

As for pushing their wares, I don't own a huge Ammo of mig-collection but have other stuff as well, but so far I have thought of maybe getting one or two jars of pigment, and maybe an oilbrusher (I own 5 already), but the rest one can probably handle with an existing decent paint collection. I mean, how many shades of rust red does one actually need?

So I'm happy with the purchase. Rinaldis books would probably also work, although I don't know if he covers all the paint schemes, but the only downside is that I couldn't find them easily where I live.

• Like 2