SAAB J32B Lansen - Swedish technological breakthrough - Tarangus 1/72

Hello Everyone,

Just completed the second aircraft of my Swedish duo build project - SAAB J32B Lansen this time:

IMG_4106

Here is the WIP link: 

The Lansen was a great achievement of Swedish aircraft industry. Project started in late 40s and the first production aircraft started to join Flygvapnet in late 50s. The project pioneered in many aspects: the first aircraft designed with heavy use of computer supported mathematical computations, the first Swedish supersonic aircraft. Lansen was designed to carry advanced radar which was making it an all-weather machine. Attack version was capable to carry one of the world's first cruise missiles. 

IMG_4093 IMG_4170 IMG_4120 IMG_3946

The kit that I used is the Tarangus kit which is a short-run kit and has been released fairly recently. I guess the molds were actually produced by Sword as could be judged from the bluish plastic and very familiar quality of molds (nicely detailed surfaces with delicately recessed panel lines but at the same time quite softish smaller bits). Fit was reasonable although with short run you should expect a lot of dry-fitting. Main surprise in this case was the canopy which literally jumped at its place - not always happening with Sword products!

IMG_4110 IMG_4158 IMG_4114

The list of improvements to the kit included:

- improved cockpit interior with Maestro Models p/e set, some scratched parts, added brake handles to chairs from wire, reshaped operator's windscreen to make curved angles

- improved some other areas with Maestro p/e - exhaust, wing fences

- made airbrakes from Maestro p/e - these cannot be modelled opened from the kit

- cut the airbrake openings and scratchbuilt interior for airbrake bays

- decorated main wheel bays with pipes and wires

- reassembled front wheel - this is a single part in Tarangus kit but its shape was very poor - not straight at all, a bit simplistic. 

- drilled openings here and there - guns, intake on fuselage side

- made transparent navigation lights

- replaced kit's pitot with the one from Master

- replaced Sidewinders with those from Hasegawa set 

- added resin missile pods from Maestro Models

IMG_4148 IMG_4132 IMG_4137

Painted in Green wraparound scheme. H309 Hobby Color green is used. Leading edges and gear bays interior are vallejo dull aluminum. Bottom rear fuselage is dull aluminum with some gun metal added, black radar covers, undercarriages struts are from green-black mix to match dark emerald green colour on actual aircraft. 

Decals are from the kit. No problems with their quality at all. Some technical stencils are present but just a handful of those. I chose a colourful scheme with Ö68 red squares from the late sixties. The aircraft is from F12 wing which was based in Kalmar.

Some dirt and stain added on flaps, fuselage underside, exhaust pipe etc. Finished with Micro Satin acrylic lacquer. Transparent parts are covered with Future.

IMG_3967 IMG_4122 IMG_4156

Weapons installed are not green dummy training options traditionally seen on Swedish aircraft but are warheads which seemed to be natural metal for missile launchers and standard AIM-9B scheme for Swedish made Rb24 missiles. 

IMG_4176 IMG_4180

Now some tasty pictures "with something else". Firstly my full Swedish collection:

IMG_4229

Next are some photoes with Lansen's peers. Hunter with same Avon engine:

IMG_4235

F-101B which was an American version of an all-weather aircraft (and Lansen could have carried nukes too!!! - it's just Sweden never progressed with its nuclear program):

IMG_4237

Sizeable aircraft Lansen was! Not lost next to a huge Voodoo :)

And lastly with the Hun which is very close dimensionally to the Lansen:

IMG_4231

Hope you enjoyed :)

All the best!

Dennis

• Like 60

Lovely build of one of my favourite looking aircraft. The comparison with other similar era aircraft is great. I managed to finally see one fly a couple of years ago (Scandinavian Historic Flight) and noted how it seemed to share similar qualities of several other aircraft...F-100, Swift, F-86, Hunter etc. You've a fine collection of models there.

• Thanks 1

That's a beautiful model of a handsome jet! You really don't realize how large the Lansen was until you see it next to other contemporary fighters. I agree with others about your collection- those are some outstanding models!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for likes and comments!

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

You really don't realize how large the Lansen was until you see it next to other contemporary fighters.

Yes, that's the fun of modelling. You can see and compare the aircraft shapes, sizes and so on. Very informative. 

4 hours ago, Alan P said:

That's a great job, quite a list of corrections

I know others could do a better job on making the details form scratch. Still I felt I can improve areas here and there so in the result the list became quite massive :)

16 hours ago, exdraken said:

yes, obviously "small and sexy"  was to be only on the cards for the next design! (Draken)

Draken should be the next one. But no good kits other than venerable Hasegawa which is an okay basis but needs a lot of improvements if you like to add details. Still I have a new Special Hobby/Tarangus Viggen in stash, so probably that is the next one someday. 

@Dennis_C,

I would be very interested in  hearing your suggestions for improving the Hasegawa  kit, as I have one that I would like to do in Finnish colors and markings. I have the Eduard etched set and the Aires wheel bay resin set, although IIRC, the main gear fairing doors are closed when on the ground, unless maintenance is being done, Surprised Trumpeter never did any Swedish jets, but then again, they would probably have screwed them up in their usual fashion- extremely sell detailed, but inaccurate!

Mike

If you have a Draken, Viggen, and J-29, you could add them to your Lansen and have a Swedish Heritage Flight! :giggle:

Edited by 72modeler
corrected text

@72modeler what I know about Hasegawa Draken - it lacks detail in cockpit, exhaust area, gear bays - something in 80s style. Not a bad kit at all, but you either live with it as is, or invest money in resin sets or apply your true modelling skills to add details. Additionally it has no underwing stores although couple of Sidewinders for Rb24 should be in spare box of every modeller. For more unusual armament you would still have to go for more resin.

And lastly it's cost here in Europe is unreasonably high. So I'm hoping that Tarangus folks will partner with Czechs or Ukrainians to produce a brand new kit someday :)

Edited by Dennis_C

Beautiful and impressively detailed J 32B! And not to forget the other planes used in the size comparison pics.

Yes, the Lansen is a hefty bird, and not to forget the S 32C recce version, based on the A but with a very versatile camera outfit in the nose and with the A version radar further trimmed for sea surveillence over the Baltic. The S 32 served with the F 11 recce wing at Skavsta outside Nyköping south of Stockholm from 1958 to 1979 – a real workhorse and well liked by the crews.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

Hi Joachim,

On 04/12/2021 at 20:09, Spitfire31 said:

Yes, the Lansen is a hefty bird, and not to forget the S 32C recce version, based on the A but with a very versatile camera outfit in the nose and with the A version radar further trimmed for sea surveillence over the Baltic. The S 32 served with the F 11 recce wing at Skavsta outside Nyköping south of Stockholm from 1958 to 1979 – a real workhorse and well liked by the crews.

And not to forget J32E electronic warfare aircraft which served well into the 90s. Tarangus provides decals and plastic parts for the antennae to make this variant but unfortunately does not give you Adrian and Petrus pods.

Kind regards,

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks for comments, folks!

7 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely looking Larsen, great build and finish, looks like a Hunter on steroids !

Yes it is. Interesting comparison as both have same Avon engine inside. However in Lansen the wider fuselage is used to place guns, intakes, fuel tanks... 

And an interesting angle here:

IMG_4137

Is the fuselage cross section shape looking familiar? Seems that Messerschmitt drawings were not completely lost...

2 hours ago, David H said:

Amazing how much it looks like a Supermarine Swift from some angles. I also like the kooky air brakes.

Yes, I think it is. I have a Swift in the stash so hopefully some day will make a comparison photo. The size difference though is large. 

And airbrakes are so unique with this type so it's a sin not making these released. 

Kind regards,

Dennis

Never knew how much bigger the Lansen was than the Hunter.  Great looking model.  Well done.  I always thought SAAB owed Lockheed some royalties for the Lansen's cockpit and intakes appearance.  To me they are very T-33.  🙃

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Ad-4N said:

Never knew how much bigger the Lansen was than the Hunter.  Great looking model.  Well done.  I always thought SAAB owed Lockheed some royalties for the Lansen's cockpit and intakes appearance.  To me they are very T-33.  🙃

Yeah. Single clam canopy and side intakes are for sure very T-33ish. Kelly Johnson had some mixed feelings indeed...