Mike McEvoy

John Tapsell

News is coming out that Mike McEvoy has passed away at the age of 85.

Many of you will be aware of the huge influence Mike has been had on our hobby. He did so much for us over the 50+ years he was involved with IPMS (UK) and also the much wider modelling fraternity - writing, promoting, guiding and inspiring the hobby.

The word I've seen most frequently since this news has started circulating is 'gentleman' - it describes him so accurately.

I'm sure I'm not the only person on BM who will have chatted with him as recently as three weeks ago at Scale ModelWorld - Mike was the sort of person who seemed to know (and was known by) almost everybody he bumped into at shows.

Mike's absence from the hobby and the show circuit is going to be keenly felt by all of us.

Regards,

John

• Sad 26

Really sad news. Alway''s had time to chat at model show's, he had his own website The Grumpy Old Modeler. Older member's can enjoy his Tailpiece writing's in the older SAM magazines. He was also very active in portraying What If aircraft in various schemes and configurations. Yes a true gentleman,we will remember him.

• Like 2

Its a very sad day indeed. I have spoken to him a couple of times at events over the years and only read his latest Tailpiece in SAM at lunchtime today. One of the modelling greats alongside Dick Ward and David Hannant - they truly pioneered the plastic modelling we know today. Blue skies and thoughts are with his family and cats. RIP Mike.

The name looked familiar when I read the title; then, I remembered after reading @John Tapsell's post. It has been years now; but, I remember Tailpiece, Grumpy Old Modeller, and other bits and pieces that he wrote over the years. I am in complete agreement with all that he shall be missed. RIP

This is such sad news. Mike was a true friend and I shall miss him immensely. He was a member of our local club almost from day one when he lived in Marlow at the time. Even when he moved to Wing he would always make the effort to get to us when he could.

The last time I saw him was at Telford where he was doing what he enjoyed most of all, talking modelling with all of you,  his many, many friends. RIP Mike, we're all going to miss you.

• Like 2

Ayup... 

Oh what a shame. Such a lovely man. We last spoke outside Telford last month as we were both waiting to get our wristbands,  and he also visited my SIG table (film fangs)  and was very complimentary about it and spoke with both me and my deputy John. And his Badger ! We did laugh about badgers and mashed potatoes !  He was the person Who took me to the Society table and actually helped me join IPMS over 25 years ago I think now at IPMS Farnborough where he was just a wonderful guy to speak to from behind his table. Such a Celebrity ! I was just in absolute awe of him because I’d read all of his articles in SAM and the like that I had and I was totally of awe in him as I was with Neil Robinson. He was such a lovely guy, and a pleasure to spend time with, I am truly lucky to have known him. RIP Mike. Clear Skies. 

Edited by Fea
  • Like 2

Very sad news. I found him very easy to chat to, discovering that he flew Hunters as we were both searching a vendors display for 1/72 Hawker Hunters. I said at the time it's pretty hard to get hold of the Revell 1/72 kit to which he said it's very likely he's bought them all! Spoke to him at the recent Telford, I especially remember him saying he had to make the effort to go. RIP Mike. 

Terrible news. My thoughts go out to his family.

I always enjoyed his "Tailpiece" articles in SAM, in fact it was usually where I went first when picking up a new copy of the magazine. I may just dig out some of my old copies of SAM and reread his articles.

• Like 2

Me too. Straight to ‘tailpiece’. I think a few for light reading will be good. It’s a pity there doesn’t seem to be a ‘best of’ tailpiece compilation book for when you need a laugh. 

Edited by Fea
  • Like 2