Anything Wingy, Floaty, or on the Ground Thingy - From the Big Bang to Armistice Day - history we sometimes neglect Group Build

ColonelKrypton

Over on the 2022 GB Bunfight Poll thread there was a comment noting that there were so many modern and jet subjects in 2022 with a comment suggesting something like a SE5a STGB.

To which I suggested that rather than a STGB how about something like a Anything Pre 1919 GB? Something that would include Great War subjects but would also be broad enough to include anything long before that war.

Which brings us round to this proposal. How about it? 

Anyone up for an  Anything Wingy, Floaty, or on the Ground Thingy - From the Big Bang to  Armistice Day - history we sometimes neglect Group Build?

I chose Pre 1919 as the Armistice that ended the fighting of WWI was signed on November 11, 1918 and I didn't want to leave much if any room for post WW1 subject and anything being just that, aeroplanes, AFVs, trucks, cars, artillery, ships, figures, or anything else wingy, floaty, or run around on the ground thingy?

And don't just think 20th century either - 1800's, 1700's, catapult, trebuchet, Napoleonic Soldier, Spanish Man O War,  Roman Empire,  American Civil War, Boer War, Russian Revolution, Crusades, etc, etc, etc ... 

How about balloons, Zepplins, da Vinci machines or scale model pyramids or the Great Sphinx or ???

And speaking of American Civil war, there are  cannons and limbers or naval ship's cannons?  https://modelexpo-online.com/Guns-of-History-Civi-War-Model-Kits or some nice figures by ICM https://icm.com.ua/?s=civil+war for example.

All of which makes for a wide range of subject choice.

Who else is up for the challenge?

cheers, Graham 

1. @ColonelKrypton  
  2. @Ray S
  3. @Marklo
  4. @Jb65rams
  5. @ArnoldAmbrose
  6.  @Tim R-T-C
  7. @CliffB
  8. @JOCKNEY
  9. @MarkSH
  10. @Corsairfoxfouruncle
  11. @Torbjorn
  12. @Ted
  13. @Mr T
  14. @JohnT
  15.  @JosephLalor
  16. @John Masters
  17. @blimp
  18. @Robert Stuart
  19. @Bertie McBoatface
  20. @Mjwomack
  21. @Black Knight
  22. @MARADER
  23. @psdavidson
  24. @helios16v
  25. @TimJ
  26.  @Angus Tura
  27. How about you? 

cheers, Graham

Edited by ColonelKrypton
updated list
  • Like 1

Off to a good start, I will add Ray S and Marklo as interested.

I will have to figure out how to update the original post with interested users.  I think I know how but won't know for certain till I try.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

Gidday, I might have said this elsewhere: I'd like to do some WW1 battlecruisers, but as there aren't any kits in 1/600 (that I'm aware of) I'll probably have to scratch build them. But yeah, I'm interested. Regards, Jeff.

16 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

I will have to figure out how to update the original post with interested users.  I think I know how but won't know for certain till I try.

If you select the first  post in the thread, in the top right corner is a little menu (icon with three horizontal dots) select edit and you can change the title or the post item self, then at the bottom of the post there is a save button, which posts the edit. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Can’t believe I am signing up for potential 2023 GB already.

Indeed, the fight for 2022 group builds was barely over and we were already proposing many new ones and thinking ahead for 2023 meanwhile there are several unfinished builds already in progress on our work benches. 

I will add Jb65rams and ArnoldAmbrose.

cheers, Graham

• Thanks 2

• ColonelKrypton changed the title to Anything Pre 1919 GB 2023 proposal - 5 and counting

I'd be interested - I have a selection of Great War planes I have been intending to build for a while. As well as a strange assortment of older period pieces.

I got a pack of Teutonic Knights in 12mm (1/144) scale to use as statues in Berlin scenes but have more than enough to make into some historical scenes too.

• ColonelKrypton changed the title to Anything Pre 1919 GB 2023 proposal - 6 and counting
  • ColonelKrypton changed the title to Anything Pre 1919 GB 2023 proposal - now at 10, how about 11?
On 12/5/2021 at 7:06 AM, JOCKNEY said:

If this GB were long enough I would love build either a Felixstowe or a Gotha G.Va/Vb

Welcome aboard Pat.

I quite like the Felixstowe and the Gotha but if I had to choose it would be a Felixstowe.  However, there is an A.E.G G.IV in the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum which is not too far from where I live.  It is big and dark and for reason it just captures my gaze. Whenever I visit the museum I have to just sit and take it all in and think about what those brave boys and young men endured.

cheers, Graham

Edited by ColonelKrypton
ooopsie
  • Thanks 1

Not quite four days since I first posted and already at 10. I am pleasantly surprised.

And for a group build that if it is lucky enough to get voted in favour of would not take place for well over a year ;) no less.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

Might be a good idea:  more specific or narrow themes before 1919 are unlikely to get enough votes. I’ll be happy to sogn up and vote for this.

In this case a broad subject are may just have some appeal. There have been numerous WWI era group builds proposed but rarely to they gain much traction. 

I will add you to the list.

cheers, Graham

• ColonelKrypton changed the title to Anything Pre 1919 GB 2023 proposal - 11 and rising ...
  • 1 month later...
  • ColonelKrypton changed the title to Anything Pre 1919 GB 2023 proposal - 12 and climbing ...