Eight wheelers - how does the second axle couple up?

bootneck

I am interested in building an eight wheeled lorry, type or scale not yet defined, but I don't know how the second axle is connected to the front.  Can anyone help with information, from a modellers perspective,  or know of any diagrams or photos in order that I can construct something please?

cheers,

Not sure how they are set up now but going back 15 years when I worked on them they just had two front axles one behind the other. Both steerable but the second axle was set up to turn in same turning circle as front. Same spring set up as any old style front axle with a swinging shackle at back and fixed front but no doubt it is air suspension now. 

5 hours ago, bootneck said:

possibly, but what does it look like?  Asking from the viewpoint of a modeller wishing to construct one.

Mike

This is a picture of what I think is a modern air suspension set up is which looks to me as air assisted. I suspect it gives a more positive location of the axle

Perhaps this may help you

https://www.hendrickson-intl.com/products/airtek/airtek

For an 8 x 4 the second axle would be the same

Edited by cherry268
Added info
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Circloy said:

From a pure modelling viewpoint the arrangement can be seen on this page  https://www.slotforum.com/threads/italian-job-bus.121650/page-2

11 hours ago, cherry268 said:

This is a picture of what I think is a modern air suspension set up is which looks to me as air assisted.

Thanks;  however, I am looking for something more detailed on how the second axle actually connects to the front and the gearbox etc.

I am looking to produce something as detailed as this but on an eight-wheeled vehicle.

spacer.png

spacer.png

cheers,

Mike

Ah! You are looking for an 8 wheel drive set up I presume, sorry didn't think of that 

Never came across one of those so it is a bit beyond me, not used on road trucks

But thinking about it, it would be the same as rear set up, second diff axle will have a straight through diff the same as the third axle I would think

Not going to have separate shafts to both axles, never be room 

Edited by cherry268
Added thoughts
  • Like 1

Thanks, but after half an hour googling, no luck.  Anyone know of an 8 x 8 lorry kit that would have a detailed chassis arrangement.  I might have to buy one, if they exist, and use that as a template.

cheers,
Mike

47 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Hello Dave,

that looks to be just the thing,:thumbsup: lots of nice detail, albeit the price is a bit out of my league.  I hadn't thought of Zvezda and I'll go over to their site/catalogue and see if they have something with similar detail in a smaller (cheaper) scale.  Thanks for the link.

Mike

23 minutes ago, cherry268 said:

This is a picture of a RC truck set up ,is that any good

That really does look very good indeed.  I can see where the axles would connect to the transmission system and I'm sure that I could tweek some bits here and there.  Thank you.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

that looks to be just the thing,:thumbsup: lots of nice detail, albeit the price is a bit out of my league.

I posted for the detail shown for reference for your scratch build /3d projects, rather than a suggestion of something you might want to buy. 🙂

• Like 1

I understood that Dave, thank you; however, some of those parts look to be quite complex and so I am tempted to get a kit;  just for that lovely detail.  Of course, I would enjoy building it as well as scratchbuilding one to my scale!   As you know, my preferred scale is 1:144 although I have a new-found interest in larger scales.  Probably the fiddlyness of such small items is becoming little more problematic nowadays. 

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bootneck said:

Not to worry,  I get more confused than that with this new venture into truck modelling! :giggle:

Mike

Ive a shed load of pics on my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/truckdetails/

a few close up 8 wheel chassis and linkages but also try KFS, the part isn’t available but it is a good clear replica and a good image to copy

mt5.jpg

3 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Wow! Rich,  awesome.  Sorry, I haven't got a clue as to what your last post says....  I'll just keep looking at your pictures!  :giggle:

Mike

I had a rear steer on trial a few weeks ago and that had the same set up as I’m trying (badly) to describe 🙄