++Aichi D3A1 VAL Riveting Plans++

supersonic

On the right-hand side of the 'Aviation of Japan' blog (www.aviationofjapan.com) is a link to request a report called 'Detailing the D3A' from the report's author, Mr Ryan Toews.

Nick Millman’s blog post about this report is here: http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2021/02/detailing-d3a1.html?m=1

This report is a fantastic aid for anyone wishing to model a D3A in any scale - it's well worth reading just for the minute details, alone!

While it doesn't go into too much detail about rivet patterns, it does contain some good discussions regarding the panel line arrangements on D3As. Notwithstanding the small amount of rivet-specific detail, I reckon just getting in touch with Mr Toews and starting up a conversation will yield gold!

I will not steal too much of Mr Toews' thunder, but will quote two small sections from his report, regarding panel lines:

"...it soon became apparent that existing published three-view drawings did not agree on details and, more importantly, these drawings could not be verified when compared to the admittedly few photos that showed details of the panel lines and minor fittings on the external airframe."

and

"There is good evidence that the arrangement of some of the panel lines on the upper wings was different than what is seen in previously published plan views. This is apparent when the top-view drawings of the D3A2 are compared to a technical drawing of D3A2 c/n 3231...".

Good luck,

BB

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 2

Looking at Famous Airplanes of the World (FAOW) 130 I found another good, maybe even better 4-view riveting plan of the D3A1. The book should be available at Arawasi (see my above message) or here (easy ordering): https://www.hlj.com/famous-airplanes-130-ijn-type-99-carrier-based-dive-bomber-val-bunfa130

On 12/3/2021 at 10:37 AM, supersonic said:

Hi Fellow Modellers, 

does someone know if there are any books which includes Riveting plans 1:48 for the Aichi D3A1 Val?

Thanks & Cheers

Hans

Are you going for raised or recessed rivets? Obviously the real thing had raised rivets but I'm just about to start the Fujimi 1/48th kit and it's covered in raised rivets. I'm not sure what to do at the moment as of course when I sand all the seems I'm going to loose a load of them.