The Salty Sea Dog GB Chat

TonyOD

14 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

Speaking of Seafires, I have this in the stash with some after market, and intend to build it in the box art scheme. All I have to do is make sure I don't over-weather it to the point that it looks like it's been doused in petrol and set alight... 😆.

100302-26881-44-pristine.jpg

Can I offer some advice?    The kit provides two sets of wings. The one for the 45 does not fold, while the 46 does.   It is actually very difficult to build the 46 wing in flight configuartion as there always seems to be a step at the wingfold.   If you use the 45 wing undersurfaces the problem goes away.  You can simply scribe in the wingfold line later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Can I offer some advice?    The kit provides two sets of wings. The one for the 45 does not fold, while the 46 does.   It is actually very difficult to build the 46 wing in flight configuartion as there always seems to be a step at the wingfold.   If you use the 45 wing undersurfaces the problem goes away.  You can simply scribe in the wingfold line later. 

Always happy to receive advice, and that's very helpful, thank you!

Glad this has made it but a later start might have suited me better.  Have to make sure I finish the HMS LONDONDERRY alongside in Gibraltar diorama over Christmas then.  Currently 3D drawing the associated tugs.

No idea what I will do but since almost everything in my stash is RN/FAA, there's a lot of choice.

Given that the FAA GB is also over the line, I think I might hang back on the 1/48 or 1/32 Lynx HAS 3 that I originally considered to represent one of the flight aircraft that I flew.  So I think this will end up being one of His or Her Majesty's war canoes.  If I'm sensible and don't try to redesign the whole thing, an Atlantic Models 1/350 HMS ALACRITY or GLASGOW might be do-able in 4 months.

At least it's the time of the year when SWMBO won't expect me to tend the garden every weekend!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

@John Laidlaw

I did the same on my build (incomplete) and it does ease the assembly up. The only downside is there is more gaps around the edges. I just added in some styrene shims to close it up.

spacer.png

There will also be some gaps around the flaps.

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Thom216 said:

@John Laidlaw

I did the same on my build (incomplete) and it does ease the assembly up. The only downside is there is more gaps around the edges. I just added in some styrene shims to close it up.

spacer.png

There will also be some gaps around the flaps.

Appreciated, @Thom216!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Back when this GB was proposed, I, ahem, floated the idea of building a lighthouse and have been compiling some research and inspiration...

spacer.png

Think I may have found a viable kit too 🤞

First off, bonus marks for the 'floated the idea' pun😀

Love a lighthouse, way back in 2020 I did a card one, based on one on the German coast

A zillion (maybe 10) years ago I did a very toy like American one but the details are blurry, as was the kit.

Of course if you want to go all in, there' the Frog and successors Goodwin Lighthouse sands lightship; though I've vowed never to touch that one again!!!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Grandboof said:

I was going to to go Antarctic but I was presented with this as a late birthday present. Hioefully it fits 

Martin H 

spacer.png

Oh, it fits alright! Great pick!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

First off, bonus marks for the 'floated the idea' pun😀

Love a lighthouse, way back in 2020 I did a card one, based on one on the German coast

Fantastic stuff. Stay tuned for my build thread, there's going to be A LOT of lighthouse chat. And puns. The kit that I've ordered is described as 'laser cut'. I don't know if that means it's card, wood or something else. Can't wait for it to turn up :bounce:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Fantastic stuff. Stay tuned for my build thread, there's going to be A LOT of lighthouse chat. And puns. The kit that I've ordered is described as 'laser cut'. I don't know if that means it's card, wood or something else. Can't wait for it to turn up :bounce:

I'd like to recommend the book, The Lighthouse Stevensons by Bella Bathurst. It describes the building if the lights around the Scottish coast in the nineteenth century by the ancestors of R L Stevenson. Its a fascinating and well written book which I read in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'd like to recommend the book, The Lighthouse Stevensons by Bella Bathurst. It describes the building if the lights around the Scottish coast in the nineteenth century by the ancestors of R L Stevenson. Its a fascinating and well written book which I read in the summer.

Yes, that's a book I've been meaning to seek out. The author appears in this documentary with the same title:

32 minutes ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Yes, that's a book I've been meaning to seek out. The author appears in this documentary with the same title:

Oh thanks for that link. Seeing the lighthouses, especially the Bell Rock, on video has just filled in my mental picture of the scene. And increased my admiration for the builders even more than before! 

Unfortunately, I have returned my copy of the book to the charity shop whence it came, so I can't help you out. Sorry.

• Like 1

I am very glad this GB got through, and will be first in the schedule. I have 6 weeks or so to sort something out. I have lots of ships, a DUKW and some aircraft that fit the bill so something will be done. And, just for Enzo, it will be a single build from that lot!

Ray

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, danbuoy said:

Hmm, decisions, decisions.....

20221116_181407

Albatross and the two Matchbox ships are favourites at the moment.

Triple build? Acers!

16 minutes ago, Ray S said:

I am very glad this GB got through, and will be first in the schedule. I have 6 weeks or so to sort something out. I have lots of ships, a DUKW and some aircraft that fit the bill so something will be done. And, just for Enzo, it will be a single build from that lot!

Ray

I have just had a look at my list of kits, and I will do two subjects after all. The Airfix 1/76 DUKW as it has a propeller and it floats, and also a 1/700 resin kit of the V161 Grosse Torpedoboot, by Choroszy Modelbud

Ray

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ray S said:

I will do two subjects after all

Double builds, triple builds, 70+ votes in the bunfight... this could turn out to be a monster of a GB. I'm definitely up for two Seafires but may add an air-sea rescue Spitfire.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

this could turn out to be a monster of a GB.

It will for me. I'm cutting my time on SSD to three months, before switching to TLC for April. This wouldn't normally be a problem as I build fast, but with a wooden kit I might have a bit of a rush at the end. It will all add to the excitement!! 🤪

Any excitement in the English winter is welcome.

• Like 2

@TonyOD, have you considered a follow up GB for next year? You could try "Anything on land" which would include land based aircraft, space vehicles launched from the land, ships built on land, aircraft operated from ships built on land....

One GB to rule them all, one GB to find them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

"Anything on land"

It’s a thought! 😁

My first after SSD is recce. I tried to lever a beer-carrying Spitfire into TLC but they were having none of it 😢 

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 1