The Salty Sea Dog GB Chat

TonyOD

4 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Next up is "Enzo the Mighty" followed by "Enzo the Majestic". 

So many "M" words available  -  magnificent, mighty, majestic, marvelous, macho, mundane, morbid, moron etc

(Purely thoughts about the descriptiveness of the English language only). 😁

• Haha 4

Sorry if this has been asked already but would Coastal Command aircraft be eligible  ?

I have had this picture of a Martin Mariner that was trialled in Oban but proved unsuccessful for years so wondered if this could be the opportunity to build my Mach2 kit ?

Forums _ USAAF _ USN Library _ Martin Mariner - Axis and Allies Paintworks.jpeg

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

Very tempted by this Group Build. Got a few contenders in the stash, including 2 Matchbox 1/700 ships and a Monogram Grumman Albatross. Would a PCF Swift boat be eligible, or is that too riverine?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TonyOD said:

Not familiar with these, are they seagoing?

They were heavily used by the Mobile Riverine Force (Brown Water Navy) in Vietnam, so mostly used on rivers, but I think they also carried out coastal patrols as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Sorry if this has been asked already but would Coastal Command aircraft be eligible  ?

I have had this picture of a Martin Mariner that was trialled in Oban but proved unsuccessful 

Forums _ USAAF _ USN Library _ Martin Mariner - Axis and Allies Paintworks.jpeg

Cheers Pat

That would make mowing the front lawn awkward - leaving that there...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, danbuoy said:

They were heavily used by the Mobile Riverine Force (Brown Water Navy) in Vietnam, so mostly used on rivers, but I think they also carried out coastal patrols as well.

I just did a bit of Wikipediaing, they were indeed used for coastal patrols (and operated by the US Navy) so they’ll do for me.

Is this the type of boat that went upriver in Apocalypse Now? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I just did a bit of Wikipediaing, they were indeed used for coastal patrols (and operated by the US Navy) so they’ll do for me.

Is this the type of boat that went upriver in Apocalypse Now? 

No, that was one of the much more numerous PBRs (Patrol Boat, River), nicknamed "Pibbers". I'll consider entering the Swift boat (it's the fairly new Revell 1/72 kit I have), but the Albatross is at the forefront currently. 

• Like 1

Sorry, have been a bit tied up this past week so missed the voting.  Is it too late to add my vote now?  But glad that we've got through anyway.

When do we start?  Need to consider what I do.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Sorry, have been a bit tied up this past week so missed the voting.  Is it too late to add my vote now?  But glad that we've got through anyway.

When do we start?  Need to consider what I do.

Voting is still open! 👍🏻

I guess once we get the green light @Enzo the Magnificent decides on the start date. 

• Like 1

SSD has been marginally overhauled by Reconnaissance in the polls, but no matter, that is an excellent theme and it's good to see it's got legs.

• Sad 1

On 06/11/2022 at 18:37, TonyOD said:

I guess once we get the green light @Enzo the Magnificent decides on the start date. 

Everyone bids for their preferred start dates and I start drinking heavily while trying to accommodate them...   :) 

• Haha 3

On 11/1/2022 at 11:44 AM, flashlight said:

Thank you very much, Tony @TonyODfor the nice offer! The kit is still on the way to my home, it'll be a Navy fighter.

Here are those F-8 decals, let me know if they’re any use. There is indeed a Navy scheme.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Although I have a few contenders for this category waiting patiently in the cupboard, nine or 19% of the collection to be precise, I used this proposed GB as an excuse to order a special kit from the dark side of Terra that I've had my eye on for some time. Named for a great-grandson of Noah, possessed of impeccable naval heritage and an arrester hook to prove it, I'll go He and throw all my toys out of the cot if this GB doesn't get up or my mighty hunter doesn't meet the selection criteria 🤓

Nimrod-teaser.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, TonyOD said:

SSD has been marginally overhauled by Reconnaissance in the polls

They’ve been very good at looking for and scouting out votes! 🤣

Sign me up for a SSD build, it’ll be with something with a tail hook, and likely something from the Grumman Ironworks. 🤔

Edited by Wings unlevel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After dropping a few votes over the last day or two we’re now sharing the top spot with Reconnaissance again. I think both GBs will offer a fantastic range of subjects. 

Edited by TonyOD

Surely there can be no doubt that this GB will run. Time then, to start thinking ahead. What do I have that could possibly be built in only four months, assuming no overlap with Entropy and its hosting duties and also assuming that I sideline Beagle while SSD is running. How about?

y4mZhRRbI_A5sZ08jNWXJ322bdvx_dIQ6-iMz1ag

How about one of these? It's definitely a boat.

y4mg1w8ahd70GhS1SdR4_2qFFK0y1PTEuMV0j6d0

With a sharp end at both ends and some razor sharp ends aboard her too.

y4moAMKZgERXrfZfq2FCV_UcwvfaLqMUHxb23cMo

It's a New Bedford Whaleboat (1860) in 1/16 scale by Amati, the Italian manufacturer of wooden boat kits.

Polish up your Moby Dicks, we're a-goin' whalin'!

(I still don't think I can finish it in four months but I'll have a go, given fair winds, a calm sea. and no white whales!)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

That’s a boat alright, @Bertie McBoatface. It’ll be a pleasure to see some things that float  as well as some things that fly. And most probably some floating things that fly, and some flying things that float.

I recon that boat would fly too when it was tied onto an 85ft, 50 ton sperm whale sprinting at 20kts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2