The Salty Sea Dog GB Chat

TonyOD

9 hours ago, Dansk said:

no but photos do; eduard for example make all kinds of photo itch.

:cwl:

Funny you should said that🤣. One of my key contenders for first on the slipway is the Airfix HMS Hotspur which I built as a 9 year old, except this time around it will have the Atlantic Models etch set (or at least the bits of it I can actually see).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

What is everyone else thinking of building?

I recently came back to my first love of Spitfires, so a Seafire would be the obvious choice. I’m fact as it’s “my” GB maybe I should show willing and do two. I have the Special Hobby Mk II and Mk XV which I fancy in Avalanche and Aeronavale schemes respectively.

Pleased to see a very strong initial  showing from SSD in the polls this morning - but there’s a long way to go yet! 

• Like 2

Just now, flashlight said:

I'll attempt Academy's F-8 Crusader in 1/72. Voted already, now keeping fingers and toes crossed!

Oooh I love a Crusader. I half-built the Heller one a while back. Got some lovely aftermarket decals left over if they're useful to you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flashlight said:

Thank you very much, Tony @TonyODfor the nice offer! The kit is still on the way to my home, it'll be a Navy fighter.

I'll dig them out, I saw them just the other day so shouldn't be too hard to find. If I remember rightly they were actually for Marines F-8s.

SSD is top of the standings after the first day of voting and I am well chuffed - thank you everyone who has supported the GB with their vote.

• Thanks 1

• TonyOD changed the title to The Salty Sea Dog GB 2023 - looking good after first day of voting!

Welcome aboard the good ship SSD, @Bertie McBoatface, and thanks for your vote. I won't be participating in his Entropy GB as I just don't have the moddlin' skillz,, but it's a very interesting idea and worth supporting so I've put a vote in that direction.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Grandboof said:

Apologies . I thought I had signed on before so I would like to rectify this please . Vote already in . Thinking USN or RN antarctic 

Martin H

Thanks, and welcome aboard. Sounds like interesting subject matter. ("Antarctic" got me thinking: I wonder if there is a scale model kit of Nansen/Amundsen's ship Fram?)

Day 2: still top of the table by a respectable margin! 

SSD now has 52 votes which means either a) everyone who put their name to it prior to the bunfight has now voted for it or b) it has attracted additional votes.

Either way, this is fantastic! Thank you! 

• Like 5

• TonyOD changed the title to The Salty Sea Dog GB 2023 - still strong two days in!

According to @trickyrich and his magic bar chart thingy, SSD is the first GB to be confirmed for 2023! I feel this is something like an election being declared before all the votes have been counted, but the GB continues to enjoy strong support and unless for some weird reason we shed a load of votes during the tactical voting part of the bunfight, it’s time to start thinking about what you will be building!

Once again, many thanks for the support. I am grateful and humbled.

Tony

• Like 4

• TonyOD changed the title to The Salty Sea Dog GB 2023 - over the line(?) with 11 days to spare!
28 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

According to @trickyrich and his magic bar chart thingy, SSD is the first GB to be confirmed for 2023! I feel this is something like an election being declared before all the votes have been counted, but the GB continues to enjoy strong support and unless for some weird reason we shed a load of votes during the tactical voting part of the bunfight, it’s time to start thinking about what you will be building!

Once again, many thanks for the support. I am grateful and humbled.

Tony

Vote shedding . Wouldn't that be mutiny . Deserving of a hanging from the highest yard arm or a darn good Keel hauling 

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Rafwaffe said:

Shifted my votes. Request permission to come aboard!

This is a spacious and luxuriously appointed ship, welcome aboard!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Well since this is looking pretty likely I’ve racked my brain and my stash and I do have a Freidrichafen floatplane, a Hanriot HD2 floatplane and I want to build a Sablatnig SF4 among others.

6-BE186-C2-F12-C-4571-B1-BC-AF2-D18-E544

Oh wow…

• Like 1

I have a lot of kits in The Stash that would suit this GB.  The problem is that they are mostly aircraft.   I feel that I should do something out of the ordinary (for me) and build something that floats.   

My initial thought was the 1/700 Orange Model HMS Victorious.   It is mostly resin, which doesn't bother me.  However, given the huge amount of PE in the kit, I feel it is better suited to the Not My Comfort Zone GB. 

I feel that a 1/72 Airfix Vosper MTB would be fun.   I was convinced I had one in The Stash, but it seems not...   :fraidnot: 

I wonder if anyone makes a kit of Southampton's Woolston Ferry floating bridge. 

• Like 1

As a theme I guess the Salty Sea Dog offers huge scope, @Enzo the Magnificent. Can’t wait to see what turns up.

(Just occurred to me - Renaissance Florence main man Lorenzo “The Magnificent” de’ Medici is a personal hero of mine. Your name cannot be coincidental, surely?)

1 minute ago, TonyOD said:

Just occurred to me - Renaissance Florence main man Lorenzo “The Magnificent” de’ Medici is a personal hero of mine. Your name cannot be coincidental, surely?

No, it's just that I am magnificent!  :D    I intend to change my screen name regularly.   Next up is "Enzo the Mighty" followed by "Enzo the Majestic".  :smartass:

• Haha 5