The Salty Sea Dog GB Chat

TonyOD

5 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

A week by my calculations before it goes live, but perhaps the ever generous @Enzo the Magnificent will give us an early Christmas present

Plus, not that he has the slightest self,-interest, it'll save doing it on Christmas Eve 😁😉🥂

It would be good to get my thread started. I could write a little bit of history. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

A week by my calculations before it goes live, but perhaps the ever generous @Enzo the Magnificent will give us an early Christmas present

Plus, not that he has the slightest self,-interest, it'll save doing it on Christmas Eve 😁😉🥂

Given a fortnight before showtime will be Christmas Day and I’ll be a bit busy, a few days’ head start would be helpful! 😁

• Like 2

15 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Wherever we are, we're always here.

There's an old sad military song, to the tune of Auld Lang Syne

We're here because,

We're here because,

We're here because,

We're here.

We're here because,

We're here because,

We're here because,

We're here. 

and verses two to one hundred and forty-four are even better

We're here because,

We're here because,

We're here because,

We're here.

We're here because,

We're here because,

We're here because,

We're here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, RC Boater Bill said:

I also have the recent Airfix Dolittle Raid B-25 kit- I think that would also qualify for this GB?

Absolutely it is… normally non maritime subjects on notable sea-themed operations welcome, the Doolittle B-25’s would be up there with the Tirpitz Lancs. You can smell the sea air! 👍🏻

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Oh. What about those Boeing 727s that took me to the seaside so often back in the day??? (not a serious suggestion. I only ever paddled.😄

Reminds me of a job application I reviewed many years ago when I was at Handling Squadron at Boscombe Down.  The job was for a Technical Author for Merlin helicopters and the mandatory experience stated something like: "military aircrew (preferably rotary wing), military air engineering officer or commercial equivalent with experience of the military airworthiness procedures".  One application, in the section that was providing evidence in response to that experience requirement, read along the lines of "I have flown abroad on holiday once with my parents".

Needless to say, the individual did not get offered an interview!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Reminds me of a job application I reviewed many years ago when I was at Handling Squadron at Boscombe Down.  The job was for a Technical Author for Merlin helicopters and the mandatory experience stated something like: "military aircrew (preferably rotary wing), military air engineering officer or commercial equivalent with experience of the military airworthiness procedures".  One application, in the section that was providing evidence in response to that experience requirement, read along the lines of "I have flown abroad on holiday once with my parents".

Needless to say, the individual did not get offered an interview!

I once watched my manager sorting through CV applications for a Sunday job at a well known high street bookseller. Most went into the recycling within 20 seconds but one was rejected in under a second - straight from the pile to the bin. I asked him why. "Can't spell curriculum." was the laconic reply, he'd only read the one word.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Shortly after I left the RAF, I applied for a job with an airline company operating from a large regional airport.  The role was as documentation manager for the company's aircraft.  I thought this was right up my street, given my time on RAF squadrons and the fact that my last role in the RAF had been documentation manager for the whole of the RAF's Sidewinder fleet.

The company declined to interview me because I "didn't have any relevant experience".   I was puzzled and so I contacted the company for some clarification.   I was told that my experience was not relevant because it was on military aircraft while the company operated civilian aircraft. :wacko:   I pointed out that the RAF's Form 700 system is the basis for all aircraft documentation worldwide, but it fell on deaf ears.  :shrug:  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Shortly after I left the RAF, I applied for a job with an airline company operating from a large regional airport.  The role was as documentation manager for the company's aircraft.  I thought this was right up my street, given my time on RAF squadrons and the fact that my last role in the RAF had been documentation manager for the whole of the RAF's Sidewinder fleet.

The company declined to interview me because I "didn't have any relevant experience".   I was puzzled and so I contacted the company for some clarification.   I was told that my experience was not relevant because it was on military aircraft while the company operated civilian aircraft. :wacko:   I pointed out that the RAF's Form 700 system is the basis for all aircraft documentation worldwide, but it fell on deaf ears.  :shrug:  

You are a plumber! That explains a lot.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, patmaquette said:

Can I join in, please? I have a Catalina to build.

Many thanks,

Pat Camp

Welcome aboard. I'm not adding names to the list now as SSD is well and truly home and dry (or wet, as the case may be), but I think we can look forward to a decent turnout. When do we go live, Lord High Master of the GB's @Enzo the Magnificent:poke:  😁

• Like 2

Message from the bridge:

In anticipation of the Salty Sea Dog going live, I've started compiling a build list that will summarise all our different maritime endeavours and link to the respective WIPs and (eventually) RFIs (I may categorise it along the lines of aircraft, ships, figures, vehicles, other). If you'd like to indicate hereunder what you have in mind for the GB (brief description of subject, kit manufacturer, scale) it would save me some hassle at showtime, given the number of potential participants and how busy the holiday season can be. You may have already given a heads up above but this thread's over a year old now and there would be much sifting to do. No obligation of course, you can just start your WIP when the time comes, but it would help me out.  Mucho appreciado.

• Like 1

• TonyOD changed the title to The Salty Sea Dog GB: Starts 7th January. Build list in progress - watcha got?

Hi Tony,

my planned entry is a Kovozavody Prostejov 1/72 Seafire Ib in Operation Torch markings. If there's time, I'll also do an Operation Calendar/USS Wasp Arma Hobby F4F-4 Wildcat......

Thanks for proposing/hosting this GB - its gonna be grrrrrreat!!!

Cheers,

Mark

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

Message from the bridge:

In anticipation of the Salty Sea Dog going live, I've started compiling a build list that will summarise all our different maritime endeavours and link to the respective WIPs and (eventually) RFIs (I may categorise it along the lines of aircraft, ships, figures, vehicles, other). If you'd like to indicate hereunder what you have in mind for the GB (brief description of subject, kit manufacturer, scale) it would save me some hassle at showtime, given the number of potential participants and how busy the holiday season can be. You may have already given a heads up above but this thread's over a year old now and there would be much sifting to do. No obligation of course, you can just start your WIP when the time comes, but it would help me out.  Mucho appreciado.

Er, won't the sub-forum with all of our WIPs listed do exactly that? Especially if we used a common title format perhaps? 

I'm just thinking to save you the trouble of updating a list that most visitors won't notice.