The Salty Sea Dog GB Chat

TonyOD

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

It starts a month tomorrow!

I'm going to have a go at a GB banner. Not that I'll be able to display it - couple of years ago I inadvertently fell foul of the "max banner size" rule, and by way of punishment(?) I've been restricted to two URLs and no graphics in my signature ever since! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

It starts a month tomorrow!

Yes. Yes it does! And I , for one, am more pumped than a bilge pump in a storm!

First GB of the year and usually first contender for that year's KUTA. This year, Im going for modest enough to be achievable and yet with enough f a challenge to be stimulating. Though that's also what I say every year

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

This year, I'm going for modest enough to be achievable and yet with enough of a challenge to be stimulating.

With my usual recklessness, this year, I'm going for ambitious enough to be nigh on impossible and with enough challenge to be keep me awake nights. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'm going for ambitious enough to be nigh on impossible

Just the nine builds over six GB's planned here... plus other stuff in between, obviously...

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 03/12/2022 at 18:20, bigfoot said:

It’ll be one of the Royal Marines armoured support group centaurs used on D Day, hope that is allowed.

They weren't just used on D Day.  Technically the RMASG were guilty of mutiny.  Their orders were to stay at the beachhead but they didn't follow orders.   In the days following the landing if any local unit got into difficulties - no matter how far they were from the coast - the RMASG would pitch up and provide invaluable fire support.  As soon as there was a breakthrough they would be off, looking for another fight. 

• Like 4

Add me to the list of likely lads please.

I'll have a stab at one that will test me a fair bit, a Contrail Supermarine Southampton.

I've attempted a few vac forms over the years, but never really got a proper model out of any of them. They usually end up smoothed out and turned into desk type models. There's nothing wrong with a desk model but a detailed build would be nice this time. There's a fair chance the rigging and scarf mounts will prove a bridge too far, yet alone getting the Contrail softness into some kind of Southampton shape, but nothing ventured nothing gained and all that. I might as well hit the ground running for the new year!

Tony.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Add me to the list of likely lads please.

I'll have a stab at one that will test me a fair bit, a Contrail Supermarine Southampton.

I've attempted a few vac forms over the years, but never really got a proper model out of any of them. They usually end up smoothed out and turned into desk type models. There's nothing wrong with a desk model but a detailed build would be nice this time. There's a fair chance the rigging and scarf mounts will prove a bridge too far, yet alone getting the Contrail softness into some kind of Southampton shape, but nothing ventured nothing gained and all that. I might as well hit the ground running for the new year!

Tony.

What a treat, looking forward to that one greatly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi @TonyOD,

I've been looking at the laughably titled "instructions" for my New Bedford Whaleboat (wooden kit) The first thing I have to do is build a building jig to build the boat on. I consider building the jig to be tooling rather than modelling and propose to get that fiddly little job out of the way before 7 January. Do you agree with my interpretation? 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Hi @TonyOD,

I've been looking at the laughably titled "instructions" for my New Bedford Whaleboat (wooden kit) The first thing I have to do is build a building jig to build the boat on. I consider building the jig to be tooling rather than modelling and propose to get that fiddly little job out of the way before 7 January. Do you agree with my interpretation? 

I'd consider that the same as buying glue, hobby knives and sanding paper.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Hi @TonyOD,

Building a tool to facilitate your build won’t count as part of the build itself. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, planecrazee said:

Please can you count me in for this one @TonyOD  

I've got the Hobby 2000 1/72 Douglas SBD-4/5 Dauntless kit (Hasegawa re-box) in the stash that would be prefect for this GB.

Many thanks

Kris

Welcome aboard! Just a few weeks to go now! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2022 at 2:20 PM, TonyOD said:

Building a tool to facilitate your build won’t count as part of the build itself. 

Plus, I ‘d say that even after building the jig,  the *model* is still far from being even 25% complete!   😁

• Like 2

Great to see this GB making the bunfight!

I would like to join in with a US Navy A-1 Skyraider, operating from 'Yankee Station' in the Gulf of Tonkin, ca. 1967. Likely a VA-145 Swordsmen aircraft, I will be using Hasegawa's 1/72 kit with some other bits & pieces.

Thanks,

Patrick

• Like 2

I’m definitely in for this one-  my problem will be picking a subject.  US Coast Guard subjects are my “ thing”, and I’ve got at least 30 eligible kits in the stash!   

I’d love to do a ship, but I’m a slow builder, so the odds are I’d never finish in time, so an aircraft makes more sense.  I just finished a helicopter in the classic Revell GB, so maybe I’ll do a fixed wing this time….

I also have the recent Airfix Dolittle Raid B-25 kit- I think that would also qualify for this GB?

Edited by RC Boater Bill
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RC Boater Bill said:

I’m definitely in for this one-  my problem will be picking a subject.  US Coast Guard subjects are my “ thing”, and I’ve got at least 30 eligible kits in the stash!  

Can anyone guess what I'm going to say next?  :wicked: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4