The Salty Sea Dog GB Chat

TonyOD

52 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Triple build? Acers!

That's the plan! I wasn't able to fit the Albatross into the Revell/Monogram group build, so good to have another appropriate one so soon.

• Like 1

• TonyOD changed the title to The Salty Sea Dog GB: 7th January - 30th April, 2023

This looks oh so tempting!

I know I should finish all my other builds but the siren song is very strong...

Count me in with a F6U Pirate (if that is eligible since it never took to the sea) or F7U Cutlass, or Blackburn Firebrand TF2 or Grumman AF-2S Guardian!

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I’d love to see that Firebrand, @Christer A. I built the Valom 1/72 once. It looked like a 1/48!

Lovely job! I was on the cusp of buying one at Telford, but was sensible enough to peek in the box before hand... to reveal an immaculate condition Vista fulmar, instructions, decals, sealed bag.

+1 vote for the firebrand!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ngantek said:

I was on the cusp of buying one at Telford, but was sensible enough to peek in the box before hand... to reveal an immaculate condition Vista fulmar, instructions, decals, sealed bag.

I wonder some unfortunate fellow modeller bought a Vista Fulmar, only to get it home and find a Firebrand in the box?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TonyOD said:

I’d love to see that Firebrand, @Christer A. I built the Valom 1/72 once. It looked like a 1/48!

I built a different boxing of the Valom kit earlier this year in the Bomber GB.  It takes a bit of work but it's very worthwhile.

Firebrand027.JPG

• Like 5

I just picked up one of these from Messrs. Kingkit, actually very cheap for a new-tool Airfix Vb. The uppermost of the two is going to be my “bonus build” if the two Seafires go well: an aircraft flown by No. 278 Squadron, RAF in an Air-Sea Rescue role (spotter plane directing pick-up aircraft towards downed airmen). The scheme features rather nice yellow codes and a striking 12” wide stripe along the underside of the fuselage (missed by Airfix in their callouts). Time permitting it’ll be joining the Salty Sea Dog roster come the New Year.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Assuming maritime versions of the Fw 200, Ju 290 and He 177 are eligible I have at least 8 possible entries, though 3 of those will probably be saved for the FAA GB.

Pete

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Assuming maritime versions of the Fw 200, Ju 290 and He 177 are eligible I have at least 8 possible entries, though 3 of those will probably be saved for the FAA GB.

Pete

If performing iN maritime roles, for sure they are! The Scourge of the Atlantic would be awesome!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

If performing iN maritime roles, for sure they are! The Scourge of the Atlantic would be awesome!

Looks like I am going to have more shelving for  Christmas present - otherwise I will have nowhere to put those 3 big 4 engined beauties!

Pete

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Timing of 2023 GBs has placed this GB in the "priority list" at the moment.  If things hold steady I'll likely be in, currently leaning towards a 1/700 USS Long Beach.

Loving this mix of floating things and flying things! 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Loving this mix of floating things and flying things! 

I've certainly got a lot of winged things too...but I've already got plenty of aircraft planned for next year.  Got to mix it up.  Though thinking now, I may have a wild card up my sleeve....an AAVR-7A1 amphibious recovery vehicle.  :hmmm:

Probably stick with a ship though.  Haven't built one since I built a sub 3-4 years ago.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

I've certainly got a lot of winged things too...but I've already got plenty of aircraft planned for next year.  Got to mix it up.  Though thinking now, I may have a wild card up my sleeve....an AAVR-7A1 amphibious recovery vehicle.  :hmmm:

Probably stick with a ship though.  Haven't built one since I built a sub 3-4 years ago.

Was considering a DUKW considering it’s military significance with amphibious landings and subsequent logistics! 

• Like 4

Good evening

This time I'll fly over Pacific Ocean with............this

spacer.png

Ettore

Edited by Ettore
  • Like 3