The Salty Sea Dog GB Chat

TonyOD

23 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Open the box, you tease... please. Pretty please 

Since you asked nicely...

spacer.png

The parts are laser cut into sheets of card that smell like balsa wood. Most sheets are about 4mm thick with a few that are wafer thin for more bendy features.

spacer.png

The precision of the cutting is very impressive

spacer.png

You also get a sheet of cut plastic for the windows, a blue one for the solar panels, some wire, a flag, acrylic paints and two brushes.

spacer.png

The instructions are going to take a bit of getting used to. The parts are numbered from one through to one hundred and something; there's no Sheet D, Part 3 system here. 

And it looks like it could get quite fiddly by the time I reach the top of the structure...

spacer.png

Guess it's my fault for picking a lighthouse with three (the want of a better word) turrets hanging off the sides :fool:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

@TonyOD trying to determine if this means, for example, any FG-1D Corsair could qualify (i.e., even if land-based) given that it is designed for maritime environment? Or are we looking for examples that are specifically operating in a maritime environment?

Just a bit of info, the USN operated the type from land before the end of 1944. They considered it too unstable for carrier landings (bounced to much on landing) prior the RN FAA proving the type was capable of operating from flat decks. So a land based USN Corsair is quite realistic. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just a bit of info, the USN operated the type from land before the end of 1944. They considered it too unstable for carrier landings (bounced to much on landing) prior the RN FAA proving the type was capable of operating from flat decks. So a land based USN Corsair is quite realistic. 

In this case what I have in mind is one of the Corsairs El Salvador used in the 1960s, although I think it's a good question to clarify generally for this GB. I have another option that's "more" maritime, but the land-based Salvadorean Corsair is my first choice.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

@TonyOD trying to determine if this means, for example, any FG-1D Corsair could qualify (i.e., even if land-based) given that it is designed for maritime environment? Or are we looking for examples that are specifically operating in a maritime environment?

Works for me. One of my builds will be a FAA Seafire Mk 46 that flew from HMS Fulmar… AKA RNAS (now RAF) Lossiemouth, which is very firmly on dry land. Even had its arrestor hook removed. Plane designed for maritime role, naval operator. Ticks the boxes, innit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

In this case what I have in mind is one of the Corsairs El Salvador used in the 1960s, although I think it's a good question to clarify generally for this GB. I have another option that's "more" maritime, but the land-based Salvadorean Corsair is my first choice.

Just seen this one. I don’t know anything about El Salvador using Corsairs, but if they didn’t use them in any kind of maritime/naval capacity I’m not sure I smell the sea air 🙂.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

Works for me. One of my builds will be a FAA Seafire Mk 46 that flew from HMS Fulmar… AKA RNAS (now RAF) Lossiemouth, which is very firmly on dry land. Even had its arrestor hook removed. Plane designed for maritime role, naval operator. Ticks the boxes, innit. 

44 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Just seen this one. I don’t know anything about El Salvador using Corsairs, but if they didn’t use them in any kind of maritime/naval capacity I’m not sure I smell the sea air 🙂.

Perfect, I think in combination these responses answer my specific question and better define the GB boundaries more generally: i.e., can sea air be smelt or not? 😅 I think my Uruguayan Hellcat is more in line, then and my Salvadorean Corsair will need to wait.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Since you asked nicely...

spacer.png

The parts are laser cut into sheets of card that smell like balsa wood. Most sheets are about 4mm thick with a few that are wafer thin for more bendy features.

spacer.png

The precision of the cutting is very impressive

spacer.png

You also get a sheet of cut plastic for the windows, a blue one for the solar panels, some wire, a flag, acrylic paints and two brushes.

spacer.png

The instructions are going to take a bit of getting used to. The parts are numbered from one through to one hundred and something; there's no Sheet D, Part 3 system here. 

And it looks like it could get quite fiddly by the time I reach the top of the structure...

spacer.png

Guess it's my fault for picking a lighthouse with three (the want of a better word) turrets hanging off the sides :fool:

I wish you well! Trying to get a sense of the size, but I reckon that as it's HO it must stand pretty tall; I know the card one I did was n gauge and came to a respectable 15cm or so. Because card modelling is so established in continental Europe I think the techniques of 'appliqué' will have been transferred across for building up the depth of pieces as laminates.

I'll say you've got a distinct advantage over the one I built because the instructions are in a separate booklet; on my card on the German instrctions were fine but the English ones were printed on the back of the sheet so as you progressed you lost more of the instructions (at a very early stage), fortunately the follow the numbers system comes into it's own. Having said that I've just seen that part 127 attaches to part 133 and 135 on this.

Right off to get some chips and mayo to enjoy this, maybe a wurst and mustard later!!

• Like 2

On 11/22/2022 at 10:07 PM, TonyOD said:

Aye but everything flying into Lossie is on short finals over Lossiemouth beach as the runway is so close to the Moray Firth ;) 

• Haha 1

On 22/11/2022 at 23:36, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Uruguayan Hellcat

On 23/11/2022 at 00:29, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

One Id love to build myself someday, just need the decals. 

spacer.png

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/LFMC72104

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

That is very pretty, @Enzo the Magnificent!

A few years ago I lost my mind and did six Hellcats and two Cougars in the Grumman GB.   I did US, British and Urugayan aircraft, but I didn't do a French one.  Now I just feel bad for France.  Maybe I should put that right in this GB. 

• Like 4

On 19/11/2022 at 07:52, Bertie McBoatface said:

No. Conqueror was a Churchill class sub. They all look the same to me though, especially when submerged 😆 

As we used to say in my flying days, they're all just targets!

Seriously, the Churchill class had a very pronounced humpback shaped hull whereas the later Swiftsure and Trafalgar classes had/have a much flatter casing top.

Good book.  The scary thing to me though when reading these WW2 autobiographies, as someone who went through naval flying training in more recent years, is how many students were killed in training.  Back in the 80s and 90s, we might have lost 1 or 2 per annum across the whole of the Fleet Air Arm, Army Air Corps and RAF flying training pipelines.  In the 1940s it was often 2-3 per course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

The scary thing to me though when reading these WW2 autobiographies, as someone who went through naval flying training in more recent years, is how many students were killed in training.

I’ve recently discovered the Spitfire Production List, I’ve spent a bit of time looking at the cause of death of pilots, I’m not out of the Mk Is yet and the proportion of casualties due to crashes and collisions is astonishing.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

I’ll join in with this GB if I may, although I’m going to go with a tank! It’ll be one of the Royal Marines armoured support group centaurs used on D Day, hope that is allowed.

As said in the original proposal, subjects from units with a naval heritage are eligible, and this is a very welcome addition. 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1