The Salty Sea Dog GB Chat

TonyOD

I guess I need to commit to what I am building here:-

I think I am going to build an example to the highest scoring Fleet Air Arm fighter of WWII. 

803 NAS Fairey Fulmar MkI N1951/6A flown by Cdr JM Bruen (well the Aces High GB didn't make it, so I'll fold it in here) (1/48 Special Hobby).

I might also attempt (am I getting too ambitious) Cdr Bruens Sea Hurricane IIb JS355 from Operation Torch if I can get some Hurricane input from @Troy Smith on the improvements to the Has IIb kit (I'll be inserting the lower rear fuselage section of the Airfix Sea Hurricane).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 19/11/2022 at 18:03, PAUL67 said:

This is what I will be building…

spacer.png

That will be great, look forward to seeing how you do it. I want to do SS Politician (of Whisky Galore fame) sometime in the future so may just possibly steal borrow some ideas. That looks a mighty fine ship.

Ray

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

However, please attempt it in the SSD because I just can't wait to see it explode into cheap Chinese splinters! 

Wot?  When I chuck it against the wall?  :lol:  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

When you try to bend those planks!

I see what you mean.   They aren't as flexible as I would have hoped.  Maybe I could replace them with some very thin balsa strips.

And if it all turns to worms and the planks all break, at least I can finish it in the Entropy GB.  :lol:  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

To be serious for a moment @Enzo the Magnificent,  on June 24th on the beagle thread linked below I looked into, I think, the same boat model. I believe I tracked down with some help from the guys on Model Ship World, the Mamoli kit that it was illegally scanned from.

That's on page three if the link won't take you to the comment directly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

This washed up on the shore arrived in the post this mornin' me hearties...

spacer.png

This alone will be worth the price of admission!!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I see what you mean.   They aren't as flexible as I would have hoped.  Maybe I could replace them with some very thin balsa strips.

And if it all turns to worms and the planks all break, at least I can finish it in the Entropy GB.  :lol:  

Remember a good captain goes down with his ship. Best of luck hoping it goes well for you

Martin H

• Like 3

On 12/2/2021 at 2:50 PM, TonyOD said:

Aircraft designed or adapted for the maritime environment:

@TonyOD trying to determine if this means, for example, any FG-1D Corsair could qualify (i.e., even if land-based) given that it is designed for maritime environment? Or are we looking for examples that are specifically operating in a maritime environment?

• Like 1