The Salty Sea Dog GB Chat

TonyOD

23 hours ago, TonyOD said:

It’ll be a pleasure to see some things that float

I may have mentioned this before...   I have the Orange Hobby 1/600 HMS Victorious in The Stash, but I think that is better suited to the Not My Comfort Zone GB.  I still think I should build a boat for this GB so I'm considering non-Stash based options. 

And I must admit that when it comes to boats and ships, I don't have a freakin' cloo what I'm doing...   :lol:  

• Like 1

As we go into the final straight it looks like we're home and dry, though we're having a good old scrap with Reconnaissance for the top of the podium!

• Like 1

Well, it’s all over bar the shouting! And I am delighted that the Salty Sea Dog will be on the 2023 Group Build calendar. Not only that, it’s been so well supported that it attracted the most votes in the bunfight! (Fans of naval aviation in particular are in for an embarrassment of riches next year, what with the FAA GB making it through too!)

Many, many thanks to everyone who has supported this proposal, both in the year-long run-up to the bunfight and during the bunfight itself. If everybody who voted for the SSD shows up with a build, co-host @Col. and I are going to be very busy indeed! Cheers, shipmates!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 7

• TonyOD changed the title to The Salty Sea Dog GB 2023
Just now, theplasticsurgeon said:

Excellent,  the Salty Sea Dog passed the Bunfight!

A few eligible entries in my stash, but currently I'm thinking of building this Press-ganged Land-lubber.

Airfix-Seafire.jpg

I have that one lined up too, but for the FAA GB. Nice pick. 

2 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

A few eligible entries in my stash, but currently I'm thinking of building this Press-ganged Land-lubber.

Airfix-Seafire.jpg

10er? Good deal! I have a bizarre urge to buy these and the 47s whenever I see them despite not really doing 1/48 and having 3 already. Looking forward to it!

Obviously very happy this one got through given that a good 90% (no jokes) of the stash would be eligible. It makes it rather harder to pick though!

I guess a good start is to try and select something for GBs that is thoroughly suited rather than squeezing in something that is more peripherally associated. Ideally something that wouldn't fit into other GB categories? A ship for me probably then, especially given the FAA gb?

Thanks @TonyOD and @Col. for organising and hosting!

Andy

• Like 2

Yikes, it'll soon be time to start thinking about subject(s)!

At the moment I'm leaning toward an Arma Wildcat from USS Wasp, or a Martlet, and I've also got a Tamiya F4U-1 Bird Cage on its way for an early Fleet Air Arm 'plane. Hmmmm :think:

Looking forward to this one!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Airfix-Seafire.jpg

That’s a great description of the Seafire!

Nice price too. 

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ngantek said:

10er? Good deal! I have a bizarre urge to buy these and the 47s whenever I see them despite not really doing 1/48 and having 3 already.

Yer not kidding. A tenner is bite-their-hand-off territory. All the Airfix Spitfire/Seafire range is very nice.

I had originally planned to do a 1/72 Bv-138 for this GB, but my modelling has moved in a different direction, so I think I'll be pitching in with a pair of 1/48 Seafires - an early one, Special Hobby Mk IIc, and a late one, Airfix Mk 46. 

The Mk 46 I have in mind I actually built many years ago in 1/72 from the Jays/Ventura kit (not so much built as hewn) and various bits of aftermarket and parts cannibalised from other kits. I like the scheme a lot and it's an OOB option with the Airfix kit, so it will be nice to revisit it.

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Stefan Buysse said:

Marineflieger F-104 with Kormorans

Had to google it. A fine looking aircraft. I feel this GB will be something of an education with such a breadth of possibilities!

All hands on deck!

I have just received notification from Lord High Master of the Group Build Calendar @Enzo the Magnificent that the HMS Salty Sea Dog will have a bottle of champagne smashed across her bows and get shoved down the slipway on Saturday 7th January - the first group build of 2023!

This is very exciting!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 8

43 minutes ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Back when this GB was proposed, I, ahem, floated the idea of building a lighthouse

That would be a superb and very welcome addition.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

All hands on deck!

I have just received notification from Lord High Master of the Group Build Calendar @Enzo the Magnificent that the HMS Salty Sea Dog will have a bottle of champagne smashed across her bows and get shoved down the slipway on Saturday 7th January - the first group build of 2023!

This is very exciting!

Damn, was hoping for later in the year to be honest. But still have a F6F-5, Wyvern/Sea Hawk (need one for FAA GB, can use the other here), B5N2 Kate, F-8 Crusader French Edition (unless the A-7 loses for that particular STGB) and Yak-38 ready to go.

A few more months could of widened the choices to include a F9F-2, Su-33/J-15 (decisions decisions), F3H-2M, Beaufighter Mk.X, Bf-110D-1, D3A1 Val and the new F3F Eduard released. Sigh.  

• Like 2

So… my significant other, to whom fall the twin burdens of watching me muck about with little plastic planes and listening to me banging on incessantly about something called the “bumfight” for the last two weeks, has decided to pitch in on the GB and build this:

spacer.png

Her name is Mary.

I sense that this is not a coincidence.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

So… my significant other, to whom fall the twin burdens of watching me muck about with little plastic planes and listening to me banging on incessantly about something called the “bumfight” for the last two weeks, has decided to pitch in on the GB and build this:

spacer.png

Her name is Mary.

I sense that this is not a coincidence.

Excellent, Tony! I wish I could get Jane to take a bit more interest :D

Looking forward to seeing Mary's progress!

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1

Speaking of Seafires, I have this in the stash with some after market, and intend to build it in the box art scheme. All I have to do is make sure I don't over-weather it to the point that it looks like it's been doused in petrol and set alight... 😆.

100302-26881-44-pristine.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

Speaking of Seafires, I have this in the stash with some after market, and intend to build it in the box art scheme. All I have to do is make sure I don't over-weather it to the point that it looks like it's been doused in petrol and set alight... 😆.

100302-26881-44-pristine.jpg

Great choice. As above, I'm doing same kit, "other" scheme. It will great to see these (and @franky boy's Mk XVII) take shape.

• Like 2