The Salty Sea Dog GB Chat

TonyOD

The dust has just about settled on Bunfight '21, and while my two proposals didn't quite make the grade, they didn't disgrace themselves and I had fun on the campaign trail. And even before the year's out, our thoughts turn towards Bunfight '22.

So, here's my proposal for inclusion in the 2023 GB calendar: the Salty Sea Dog GB, which has as its theme subjects designed or adapted for maritime use.

Examples could include:

Seagoing vessels of all kinds:

• Warships/naval ships from antiquity to modern times - classical triremes, viking ships, galleons right through to 20th century and modern military vessels (don't forget submarines).
  • Passenger ships - from small pleasure boats to mighty cruise liners with everything in between (hovercraft anyone?)
  • Cargo ships, fishing boats, lifeboats, coastguard vessels and other utility craft.

Aircraft designed or adapted for the maritime environment:

• Military aircraft of all kinds operating from carriers.
  • Flying boats, seaplanes and floatplanes, helicopters equipped to land on water, military or civilian. Ekranoplans! (I had to look it up!)
  • Anti-shipping aircraft - torpedo bombers, Coastal Command heavies, that kind of stuff (normally non-maritime subjects from notable sea-themed events such as the Lancasters flown on the Tirpitz raids most welcome)
  • Coastguard/air-sea rescue aircraft.

Subjects connected with military units with a naval heritage such as the Royal Marines or the United States Marine Corps.

Random stuff to do with the sea. Surely there is a scale model kit of Spongebob Squarepants?

Avast, me hearties!

1. @CliffB

2. @psdavidson

3. @Rabbit Leader

4. @ArnoldAmbrose

5. @Marklo

6. @Ray S

7. @Evil_Toast_RSA

8. @zebra

9. @Robert Stuart

10. @Grey Beema

11. @RevDWC

12. @MarkSH

13. @TonyOD (skipper)

14. @Toryu

15. @JOCKNEY

16. @bianfuxia

17. @Wez

18. @Torbjorn

19. @Jabba

20. @Andwil

21. @Bobby No Mac

22. @Dansk

23. @Mig Eater

24. @theplasticsurgeon

25. @Bbdave

26. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

27. @desert falcon

28. @Bertie Psmith

29. @Mjwomack

30. @Arniec

31. @heloman

32. @Scargsy

33. @DaveJL

34. @Alan P

35. @John Masters

36. @PAUL67

37.  @RaceAddict

38. @dnl42

39. @Mattp7999 

40. @Col. (first mate)

41. @Chewbacca

42. @Norseman 3:16

43.  @PeterB

44. @ModelingEdmontonian

45.  @2996 Victor

46.  @825

47. @Ettore

48. @OutcastJoel

49. @MARADER

50. @John Laidlaw 🥳

51. @flashlight

52. @Bertie McBoatface

53. @Grandboof
54. @Rafwaffe
55. @Wings unlevel

56. @Maginot
57.  your name here!

• Like 10

There seems to be plenty of scope for all modellers here Tony, so I’m happy to support this GB for 2023. There’s so many subjects one could choose, however that Ant-Shipping role ticks plenty of boxes for me. I’ve also always wanted to build a model of the SS Oriana, that regular sea crossing Ocean Liner that helped my parents migrate to Australia way back in 1961-2… just need to find the right kit first. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Please add me to the list, I have plenty of floaty things, with things that go bang or that don't, I also have wingy things that can land on water too, and I also have scale plans if I want to be an non-kit builder of the scratch kind.

If you also add wheeled things that can go into the water as designed, I can also do a DUKW, but not in army colours.

Ray

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Tony are Whifs allowed ? Ive got an idea to do a Bush float plane or flying boat in Whif colors ? 

Sure, why not!

Thank to the early shows of interest, I'll get a list up and running later.

• Like 1

Can I play please?  I may have some thing in the stash that covers this....

Although I have also put into the Here comes the Fleet! Air Arm that is.  It might be worth having a chat between the two similar GBs as if they both get as far as the bun fight you wouldn’t want a split vote..

• Like 1

• TonyOD changed the title to The Salty Sea Dog GB 2023 - out of the traps with 14!
On 12/4/2021 at 7:10 AM, Grey Beema said:

Although I have also put into the Here comes the Fleet! Air Arm that is.  It might be worth having a chat between the two similar GBs as if they both get as far as the bun fight you wouldn’t want a split vote..

Despite having put my name down for the same(!) I'd completely forgotten about that. We'll see how we go, shall we..?

On 12/4/2021 at 10:05 AM, RevDWC said:

I'm rapidly running out of reasons not to buy the new Takom Ekranoplan kit.

I had to Google it, of course, but crikey, what a build that would be!

• Like 1

Oh Tony, you are pushing at an open door on this one...

I love your BV138, but raise you an all white He 59 in Red Cross rescue markings, or a cheeky Ju290, or perhaps a Cant 501 or 506..... decisions decisions 🤔 

I do have a combat models vacform 1/72 Tradewind, but I might need 2 or 3 GBs to do it justice  :phew:

Cheers Pat

10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

but raise you an all white He 59 in Red Cross rescue markings, or a cheeky Ju290, or perhaps a Cant 501 or 506

I just Googled the He 29 and wow what a build that would be. That Ju 290 is a big ole beast too. I have a Fw 200 in the stash that would also be a fine addition...

• Like 1

• TonyOD changed the title to The Salty Sea Dog GB 2023 - now over halfway to the Bunfight and it's still 2021.