Armstrong Whitworth AW 52 Micro-Mir 1/72 - Not one for the faint hearted

3 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

I have one of these kits and am rather loathe to start the beast after reading and saving your build. Thank you for persevering as you have ended up with something quite spectacular, and Idid not realise how big it is - the box certainly gives no indication of its final size.

In some ways I feel guilty about putting people off trying to build it but I thought it wise to highlight the problems so people were warned what to expect before buying one or starting one they had.

If you do start yours think very carefully about what the end result should look like when assembling the intakes. There may be a better way of getting the outer wing section to match that of the centre by using a spacer between the leading edges of the outer wing halves. I couldn't have done this because I had already glued them together when I found the problem.

John

• John R changed the title to Armstrong Whitworth AW 52 Micro-Mir 1/72 - Not one for the faint hearted (a new picture to show its size)

You have certainly had a challenge building this kit but you have conquered it. I bought one when the kit came out as well and did a bit, put it back in the box, did a bit, put it back in the box etc. I would agree with the comments you have made about parts not fitting and the woeful instructions.

Now l know what to expect l shall be forewarned.

Regards

Robert

That's a really nice build John and a stunning result.

Thank you for your building advice, it's all filed away for future reference.

I really like your very impressive collection of experimental aircraft.

Thanks for sharing it here.

On 12/2/2021 at 11:41 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

Full marks and a gold star for getting through to the end. It looks great! Enjoy your lie down.

Definitely enjoy!

• Like 1

• John R changed the title to Armstrong Whitworth AW 52 Micro-Mir 1/72 - Not one for the faint hearted