Yeoman's Wharf, an OO9 Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Quayside Micro

My baseboard extension has arrived from Messrs Grainge & Hodder, and has been assembled with woodworking glue. Its going to get a reinforcement with the hot glue gun and then it'll be glued and screwed to the main board. Its currently slotted into place and I reckon it was a worthwhile addition. And I've finally managed to pick up a couple of lengths of 1" square smooth planed pine to fix along the front at the bottom of the quay wall, which means I'll be able to get a bit more done to that aspect of the layout.

The structures are progressing slowly and steadily, and I've got some more on their way, too. I'll need to think about road levels and correcting the cork track bed to reflect current track plan thinking, which leads me to.....

I've invested some time in attempting to learn how to use Templot. This is a programme which incorporates real-world detail into the design of model point-work. Any scale, any gauge, any wheel standards. I've had a couple of goes in the past and not made any headway, but this time, this time, well I've had a bit of a break-through. The problem is that as an experienced CAD user, I was trying to treat it as a CAD programme. It ain't! Now that I've grasped that nugget, I'm getting meaningful results and I have to say that as a programme its a truly incredible piece of work. The upshot of this is that I've been designing point-work for this little layout as well as an Irish Broad Gauge layout I'm planning.

Anyway, hopefully there'll be some photos soon!

Cheers for now,

Mark

• Like 3

Well now, my baseboard extension arrived on Thursday as mentioned above and has been assembled, while the 25mm square fillet for the bottom of the quay wall finally made it to Victor Towers.

Yesterday was spent in part drilling, gluing and screwing the fillet to the front, and drilling gluing and bolting the baseboard extension to the back of the main board :) Then I proceeded to finish digging/gouging/scraping off the cork track bed I'd glued down as it no longer matches my "vision". I also re-fixed the missing bit of quay wall and added the timber baulks the act as buffers for the hulls of any vessels moored alongside. A couple of pics:

http://IMG-4358.jpg

http://IMG-4361.jpg

And one showing the current buildings in their right spots (apart from the old houses next to the quay line) together with the Templot printouts and a few lengths of track roughly in position:

http://IMG-4369.jpg

.....it should be a HORROR to shunt.....

Having fixed the quayside baulks yesterday, I've decided this morning they're not big enough :D so I've pulled 'em all off again. I'll replace them with 8mm square strip which is twice the size. 

Thanks for looking in :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Looking great Mark. I do hope your casual talk of Irish broad gauge doesn’t mean you’re going to be distracted before you finish this. Hint, hint. 

Craig. 

Hi Craig,

I don't expect there to be much movement on the Irish BG layout for some time yet, for one thing I've got to house it and it'll quite a bit larger than this one :D I have got the track layout pretty much sorted in my mind, and I do want to draw it out full (model) size.

Finalising the track layout on this is my priority now - there's been a bit too much umming and ahhing, so I need to sort out that aspect for certain before I can really get going with the scenic aspects. But in other news, I've ordered a couple of wagon turntables to go in front of the archway warehouse, so that bit is getting a bit closer to being fixed in my mind.

And I really must get on with my Matchbox 50 Brewster Buffalo..... :D 

Cheers,
Mark

• Haha 1

There's been a sneaky little bit of progress on the pub, aka The Prospect Inn. As I think I mentioned, it's a Starkey, Knight & Ford house, and their house colours were white with black trim. A large number of their pubs seem to have been rough-cast rendered so I was looking for a way to replicate that in a not-too-obvious way.

Initially, I thought of sandpaper, and did go so far as to cover the building in some 180 grade but the window and door openings were a bit of a problem. Then I thought of that sandtex masonry paint, which led me by a roundabout route to some dark and cobwebbed recess of my mind where I'd filed away textured spray paint. A quick trawl through eBay and up popped Rust-oleum textured paint and a can was duly ordered.

So here we are. The pub building has been given three or four coats according to the instructions and that was the end of that can! However, it's exactly what I wanted:

http://IMG-4373.jpg

http://IMG-4372.jpg

And once that was touch dry (impatient as always) it was given a deliberately slightly patchy coat of Tamiya white acrylic:

http://IMG-4374.jpg

http://IMG-4376.jpg

which I hope you will agree looks like the real thing :) ish

Onward and upward!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 7

Jane and I had a lovely trip on the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway at Woody Bay today. The weather was perfect: sunny, just a light breeze. "Lyn" was in fine fettle with her beautiful 3-coach set.

It was just a bit of a shame that there weren't more visitors: hopefully tomorrow will be better as they're doing Easter-related things for the younger ones.

And I came away with the long-desired Heljan model of "Lyn" in her pre-1906 livery 😍 The box has been carefully opened and the prize within uncovered. But not handled, just looked at :D

I'll post some photos once we're home again.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

Nice work on the outside of the pub!  When my wife remodeled the downstairs bathroom when we first moved into this house, she went with a beach motif and used something similar (it wasn't spray though) to make the bottom half of the walls look like beach sand.  Worked well and looked neat.  I never thought of it for texturing model buildings though -- looks terrific.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matto21 said:

Hi Mark,

The pub: is it a Fair Price Models kit? If so, I'm also using it on my layout, albeit back to front and repurposed as a house.

Good effort with the texture!

Matt

Hi Matt,

Yes, it is! In fact, all the buildings apart from the planked goods store are Fair Price. They do seem to make excellent bases for detailing and alteration.

The short terraces along the end have had their fronts sliced up and rearranged, while the back terrace has had new sculleries added.

I tend to extend the ends of the half-relief buildings so that there is a bit of roof sloping away beyond the ridge line, just my fancy!

I use artist's mounting board for any additions, fixed with either aliphatic or Roket card glue.

Cheers,

Mark

12 hours ago, opus999 said:

Nice work on the outside of the pub!  When my wife remodeled the downstairs bathroom when we first moved into this house, she went with a beach motif and used something similar (it wasn't spray though) to make the bottom half of the walls look like beach sand.  Worked well and looked neat.  I never thought of it for texturing model buildings though -- looks terrific.

Thanks, Opus, that's very kind of you! I think it's a useful technique. I did think about using PVA glue and foundry sand, but this was certainly a quick and clean method. The paint itself is meant for home redecorating, giving a stone effect.

Using a sand technique for full-size decoration sounds amazing - I'll bet that looked fantastic!

Cheers,

Mark

The garden walls for the back of Prospect Row have been re-done, and even have natty little capping stones  The gaps scale at 3' to allow for gateposts and 2'-6" wide gates. The walls will get a bedding-in in due course and the gardens/yards will be most probably flagged; the gap between the dividing wall and the sculleries will need to be addressed!

http://IMG-4500.jpg

And there I have to leave things for a while: I'm going into hospital for a hernia repair, so I'll be taking it easy for a few days!

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 5

That lumpy brick work looks better at a distance and works when seen in context with the rest of the building, rather than just examining the brickwork on its own. Looking forwards to your return and further progress.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Glad to hear you’re finally getting Henry the Hernia sorted out Mark. Good luck, and I’m sure that once you’re sitting comfortably again, your progress will be even more spectacular! Looking forward to what comes next. 

Craig. 

Thanks, Craig, that's very kind of you :) I was home at about 6pm which is amazing! Can't believe how different I feel already.

I'm looking forward to making some real progress on this (and the Matchbox Buffalo!)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Army_Air_Force said:

That lumpy brick work looks better at a distance and works when seen in context with the rest of the building, rather than just examining the brickwork on its own. Looking forwards to your return and further progress.

Many thanks, AAF, that's very kind of you :) I'm certainly warming to the brick paper and I think it'll be fine once the details are added.

I'm looking forward to getting on with this little project, need to make progress as I've got a provisional invite to display it at an exhibition in July!

Cheers,

Mark

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Take it easy, Mark, and get well soon. Some nice work here.

Thanks, Pete, that's really kind of you :) it'll be several weeks before I'm back to what I laughingly call normality!

Hopefully I'll be able to make some good progress soon.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark

Great start on the lovely L&B project, I will have to catch up later as gardening jobs beckon.  It was a charming railway and hope the new company can do all they hope to do. 

My son has got some of the Peco L&B stock the coaches and the new brake van are simply gorgeous.   I am building him a small generic 009 layout with a turntable fiddle yard.  The Heljan Manning Wardles are superb looking engines.

Your inset track looks absolutely amazing fella  what a cracking job ( I have got through page one at the mo and will catch up later.

Great work 

Chris

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mark

Great start on the lovely L&B project, I will have to catch up later as gardening jobs beckon.  It was a charming railway and hope the new company can do all they hope to do. 

My son has got some of the Peco L&B stock the coaches and the new brake van are simply gorgeous.   I am building him a small generic 009 layout with a turntable fiddle yard.  The Heljan Manning Wardles are superb looking engines.

Your inset track looks absolutely amazing fella  what a cracking job ( I have got through page one at the mo and will catch up later.

Great work 

Chris

Hi Chris,

Many, many thanks for your kind words :) hugely appreciated!

The original L&B has so much character considering how short a life it had, and it's a fantastic subject for modelling. The new company are doing great things, and really approaching their task in a sensible manner. The new tearoom is almost complete and looks great!

Model-wise, the Heljan locos are excellent, although the early production MWs have had a few issues with track holding, easily fixed.

The PECO coaches and wagons are gorgeous. The brake vans even have working sliding doors, I believe, although mine has never been out of its box! :D

Also, the new ffestiniog Railway locos and stock from PECO and Kato look amazing - the Small Englands and Bug Boxes would make a beautiful model. And I don't think anyone ever expected a ready to run Double Fairlie.

I hope you start a build thread for your son's layout. I'd be very interested to see how you're getting on. It sounds really great - the turntable fiddle yard is interesting - how are you doing that?

With best regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Hi Mark

I haven't done a thread on it as just s generic little layout, but I have been considering doing a thread on my model railway endeavours so could include in that. 

The turn table fiddle yard is very simple just some formyker and ally angle either side, peco tracks glued on and each end track is soldered to some copper clad sleeper and it's unpowered as I have brass rods in sleeves to look into place and transfer the power to the fiddleyard track you have selected to use.  

I will get some photos so when I post my thread you can see.

Thanks

Chris

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mark

I haven't done a thread on it as just s generic little layout, but I have been considering doing a thread on my model railway endeavours so could include in that. 

The turn table fiddle yard is very simple just some formyker and ally angle either side, peco tracks glued on and each end track is soldered to some copper clad sleeper and it's unpowered as I have brass rods in sleeves to look into place and transfer the power to the fiddleyard track you have selected to use.  

I will get some photos so when I post my thread you can see.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

That'd be great - please do!

The turntable fiddle yard sounds very effective. I need something similar at the left hand end of Yeoman's Wharf to line up with the "main line" and the quayside track. There'll just be a cassette effort at the right hand end.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Chris,

That'd be great - please do!

The turntable fiddle yard sounds very effective. I need something similar at the left hand end of Yeoman's Wharf to line up with the "main line" and the quayside track. There'll just be a cassette effort at the right hand end.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark

No worries I will get some photos, but it is more of a Bodgit and Scarper type thing.  😉 

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Mark, wow great catch up,  amazing work and the houses look lovely inside and out and the texture for the walls of pub is inspired.  

Glad you had a great trip in the railway, lovely photos fella.

Hooe you get the hernia sorted soon

Great work

Chris

• Thanks 1