Yeoman's Wharf, an OO9 Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Quayside Micro

47 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

She's strained a muscle or tendon or something in her calf. She's a Girl Guides leader and had her elder 'Ranger' group ten pin bowling. They were into the second game and she was walking towards releasing the ball, when something went twang in her calf! The alley was over near her parents, so they had to rescue her and her car and bring them back to Durham! It wasn't as if she was doing anything particularly strenuous!! It's improving, but she's got another appointment on Tuesday.

Despite the odd cut finger or sanding graze, modelling is a much safer pass-time!!

That sounds very painful, something I'm relieved to say I've not experienced. Glad to hear it's improving, though. Hope it continues to heal quickly.

All the best,

Mark

• 2 months later...
On 23/08/2022 at 15:44, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mark

Just popped in to see if you're okay and if any progress on your lovely layout?

Chris

On 26/08/2022 at 03:42, opus999 said:

+1

Hi Gents,

sorry I haven't responded sooner! Alas, I am still awaiting the pointwork from the builder, although I felt confident enough in him to order some more (standard gauge this time) and I'm assured that the entire consignment is awaiting courier collection. Unfortunately, that meant I wasn't in an advanced enough position to attend the exhibition at the end of last month. In the meantime. I've been doing a few odd bits and bobs but I feel I really need the track in place now so that I can finalise and fix down the buildings.

On that note, I was still a bit unhappy with the brick paper I was using, so I've replaced that with something I think is more convincing from Scale Model Scenery. When I finally finish the terraced houses, I'll pop a few pics up :)

I've also been playing with not one but two standard gauge micro layouts, both to EM gauge. Both are rural settings so in many respects are significantly less time intensive than Yeoman's Wharf, and I've tried constructing a building from 3mm foam board, a pub loosely based on one I used to visit, which seems to have a great deal to commend it!

Hopefully I'll have some tangible progress to report soon.....

All the best,

Mark

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Glad to hear you're okay and sorry the point work hasn't arrived yet.

The Micro layouts sound fascinating too, looking forward to seeing these.

Al the best

Chris 

Thanks Chris, it's good to know my ramblings are of interest :)

I'm really hoping the pointwork arrives soon, next week will do nicely as Jane is whisking me away to Malta for a short break 🏖️

I'll post threads for the SG micros in a few days' time but, as a bit of a preview, here are a few details.

Both are 1.2m long by 0.4m wide. I'm arranging the track layout so that hopefully both can use the same fiddle yard. Not at the same time, of course. Both are to EM Gauge Society standards.

One is set in my home county of Somerset, and in current thinking it represents what was a through station on a minor route that has been truncated. BR(W) circa 1955. However, the siren song of the GWR circa 1905 may mean a small change to that to allow dual period operation. Track is EMGS.

The second one is a Col Stephens-esque fictional light railway. A more traditional BLT but very simple. The idea is that it's set in Shropshire, with a history similar to the Potts/S&MLR but perhaps slightly less impecunious. Track is handbuilt - pointwork outsourced, plain track will be me :crosseyed:

Anyway, there it is! Hopefully there'll be some progress soon.

All the best,

Mark 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I've also been playing with not one but two standard gauge micro layouts

You do realise there’s a limit to the number of lines you can have in your signature right? 😁

Glad to hear you’re well and the new layouts both sound very interesting. Looking forward to see8ng what you’ve been up to. 

Enjoy Malta, it’s a place I’ve always fancied visiting. 

Craig. 

• Thanks 1

Ooooooo now your talking, a Colonal Stephens line, they really float my boat, I was at KESR last Wednesday , wonderful line. Looking forward to seeing these.

I hope you have a great time in Malta,  I have not been there for a very long time.  Don't remember anything as only just over one Yr old when I left😄 . Was born in Imtarfa as Dad based there for a few yrs in the Navy.

On the Railway front I have acquired some new Narrow gauge stock which is 1/32 scale. All hand built and will be doing something with them soonish.

Chris

19 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

You do realise there’s a limit to the number of lines you can have in your signature right? 😁

🤣🤣🤣 yes - what I really need to do is finish some of those aeroplane builds!!!

19 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Glad to hear you’re well and the new layouts both sound very interesting. Looking forward to see8ng what you’ve been up to. 

Enjoy Malta, it’s a place I’ve always fancied visiting. 

Craig. 

Thanks, Craig, I'm good thanks, just a bit quiet on the builds front. Not sure if I mentioned it anywhere but I had my hernia op at the end of April - I'd like to say it's made a new man of me but that ship's sailed. Seriously, though, it's made a huge difference!

The new layouts will get their threads soonish: lots to do of course.

Malta is one of my most favourite places, I'd quite like to move here if I'm honest, even though I don't deal with hot weather that well! 😆 It's a lovely place, great people, highly recommended! Lots of history!

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Nice to see an update on this!  Hope you have a great time in Malta... :)

Many thanks :) hoping to get some modelling done soon on all those outstanding projects..... :)

Having a fab time in Malta: it's gone far too quickly, of course, and we're on our final evening :sad:

Incidentally, does anyone know how it can be possible to get sunburned lying in the shade? 😖

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just a short non-update on Yeoman's Wharf.

I'd got to the stage where I really needed the track in place before I could go further with the structures and scenery.

I think I mentioned outsourcing the pointwork to a professional builder as the geometry is non-standard and I want avoid the toylike look to  the track.

Well, the pointwork arrived at the beginning of the week after four months. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement: tie bars loose, rail heads filed to get them level, check and wing rail leads filed not bent, and very messy soldering throughout.

I know I should really go back to the builder but I just want to cut my losses and move on. With hindsight, I would have been better off using the intervening period to learn the skill myself. Shoulda', coulda', woulda'!

Hope to have some good progress to report soon.

Cheers,

Mark

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

That's disappointing to hear Mark. Get that soldering iron warmed up!

Craig.

Thanks, Craig, it is - the most annoying thing is the wasted time! The same guy also built some points for one of my two EM Gauge micro layouts and it's just the same.

I need to get some more copper clad strip for point timbers, and strip wood to match. I've just recently bought a new Antex soldering iron, solder and flux so I'm (almost) ready to rock and roll :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Well now! Over six months since my last update - that can't be good, can it? Not that anything much has been occurring until quite recently when I received an email inviting me to attend this year's 009 Society Open Day in Mansfield at the end of July. I won't say its galvanised me into action, but I have been making a little bit of progress and hopefully by the end of July I'll have a running work-in-progress.

The biggest stumbling block in my mind was the disastrous track episode, which has taken me a while to get to grips with. The upshot is that I've decided that life's too short to build my own track after all, and I've settled on PECO N gauge streamline code 55. Of course, the sleeper spacing is all wrong for 4mm scale narrow gauge, but my plan is to cunningly disguise it - short sections with dummy sleepers at the right spacing and the rest buried in mud and cobbles.

The track plan is still evolving, but I think I've reached the point where it won't evolve (much) further, and to this end I've started wiring droppers to some lengths of PECO flexi track and fixing them down. A couple of points are on their way*, I will need a couple more, but I feel like things are moving a bit. The trick, I think, is to not get over-embroiled in Yeoman's Wharf and to get a plane or two under way in my new scale as well.

*They've arrived while I've been typing this :) 

So, a few piccies. Steampacket Terrace is on its third iteration, now scratchbuilt in 3mm foamboard, as is the adjacent big warehouse belonging to Edmund Habberfield (my great grandfather :), who was actually the miller in the village of North Newton near Taunton, and latterly landlord of the Cottage Inn (now the Merry Monk) in Monkton Heathfield.

IMG-20230423-174358883.jpg

Habberfield's warehouse with Steampacket Terrace on the right. The base of the warehouse is planked with lime strips and stained - unfortunately some of the strips swelled and lifted during staining so will have to be put back. The shell of the building slides over the base with a bit of coaxing..... There's an internal loading dock as well. Here's the base laid bare:

IMG-20230423-174330500.jpg

If you look closely at the loading dock siding, you can see the wires for the power feed to the rails. I like to provide power to every length of track and not rely on rail joiners/fishplates for electrical continuity.

The loco is a new acquisition, a Heljan unpowered display sample. The valve gear all works and it rolls along beautifully, and being unpowered I can double-head my goods trains while using the simplest form of DC control :) To be honest, I really want a Manning Wardle 2-6-2T in its original cab format and livery, and this sample was dirt cheap so at some point I'll be reworking the cab and bunker profiles and changing the livery to this:

Yeo.jpg

Lastly here's an end view: 

IMG-20230411-115236327.jpg

With the drawn track and pieces of actual track strewn around, its difficult to describe what the current iteration of the track layout will be, but if you can see where the printed point templates are laid on top, those are "about right". Then imagine two semi-parallel tracks disappearing into the distance. Hopefully, I'll have a more sensible view of the actual track plan soon!

Anyway, onward and upward!

Cheers for now,

Mark

• Like 8

Great to see some progress Mark.  What a shame about the points, did you follow up with the builder at all in the end?

The layout is looking good and great to have the personal connection to the warehouse too.  The Manning Wardle locos are just gorgeous. 

The Heljan models capture the movement of the valve gear perfectly.

It will be good to get the layout up and running for the July Narrow gauge day.

Great work

Chris

• Like 1

My diary says 22nd July for the 009 Society day - I'm meant to be completing a boxfile layout by then to show alongside my father's quarry layout.

Also developing a 3D printed diesel shunter to use on it....

Hope you get sorted.

IanJ

• Like 1

On 27/04/2023 at 18:22, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see some progress Mark.  What a shame about the points, did you follow up with the builder at all in the end?

The layout is looking good and great to have the personal connection to the warehouse too.  The Manning Wardle locos are just gorgeous. 

The Heljan models capture the movement of the valve gear perfectly.

It will be good to get the layout up and running for the July Narrow gauge day.

Great work

Chris

Hi Chris, sorry I haven't replied sooner. I didn't do anything about the points in the end, I was just so cheesed off I binned them and drew a mental line under the whole episode. I'm just glad I didn't ask the guy to build any Irish broad gauge pointwork.....

I'm really chuffed (sorry!) with the Heljan MW. I need to sort out some form of couplings to allow it and my "Lyn" to run together. I really wanted prototype-style chopper couplings, but I think they can wait for the future. I can see me uncoupling by hand for the foreseeable :D Some more track is down, and I'm drilling holes as I go for PECO twistlock point motors, but again, hand operating of the points is good enough for now!

53 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Great to see this springing to life again Mark. 

Craig. 

Thanks, Craig, that's really kind of you! Hopefully, I'll get a bit further this time.....before I doze off again :D 

14 minutes ago, Bonhoff said:

My diary says 22nd July for the 009 Society day - I'm meant to be completing a boxfile layout by then to show alongside my father's quarry layout.

Also developing a 3D printed diesel shunter to use on it....

Hope you get sorted.

IanJ

Hi Ian, sounds like you've got a fair bit to do before then - the 22nd July sounds right. I fancy having a go at a boxfile layout some time, I'll be interested to see yours and your Dad's quarry layout, too.

I've got to finish track laying and wiring, and sort out a controller - I'm thinking a Gaugemaster hand-held - I'm resolutely sticking to DC and keeping everything as simple as I can!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Quick update:

IMG-20230510-125057887.jpg

Quayside track has of course been fixed down and with its dropper wires for ages. The middle-right track is now fixed and similarly wired, including the warehouse siding, through the two points to the far end. The (at the moment) isolated tracks at far left are fixed, while the templates and middle-left tracks are mocked up. I think its pretty much there  I just need to buy the two remaining points and another length of flexi and that should do it!

Cheers for now,

Mark

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...