Yeoman's Wharf, an OO9 Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Quayside Micro

42 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see some progress Mark and good to hear you are healing up okay.

Great work 

Chris

Thanks, Chris, that's very kind of you :) I ought to get my finger out a bit more, but I'm tinkering with some Irish wagons and working out (yet!) another micro layout.

Definitely getting better after the surgery, three weeks now since it was done. Time flies when you're having fun :D It's still quite colourful but I'm well on the way to being back to normal. For a given value of "normal", of course!!! 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

😄 Bloomin predictive text,  should have said boxfile layout!!!

Technology eh!!!

Sorry Marrk.

Chris

:rofl2: now that makes more sense! I had all sorts of mental images, there! Mind you, some of the stuff I've made down the years would probably have been best off on a bonfire! No apologies needed, mate!

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well now, what's been happening? Not a lot, if truth be told, mainly centred around other ideas and projects. However, with the healing after the surgery well on the way, I've been doing a few things with the buildings and getting back to the quay wall and inset track.

Firstly I needed to replace the two end sections of Wills stone wall, and having done that the next task was to attempt to correct the colour of the stonework from the overall grey to a warmer grey-brown with purplish tints more appropriate for the Baggy Sandstones prevalent in the Barnstaple area. I think I've managed that quite well, picking out individual stones with a variety of different shades. It all just needs a thin wash to blend it together. I've fixed the new timber baulks as well, and given these a wash with several coats of Citadel Nuln Oil, which I think works quite well. Photos:

IMG-4638.jpg

IMG-4639.jpg

The next jobs are to finish creating a projection of the quay wall at the far end of the second photo, which will have a small warehouse perched on top. I've also had to have a bit of a hack at the setts of the inset track as the flangeway clearances were too skimpy. Seems okay now🤞 I just need to touch in the paint (again!). Then I can create the 'orrible sludgy mud at the base of the wall, and tint the wall to represent the green gunk that builds up at the high tide mark.

The necessary points have been ordered and should be under construction shortly, after which I can get the track down properly :) 

Thanks for looking in!

Cheers,
Mark

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Looking great Mark. That quay wall is a work of art!

Craig.

Thanks, Craig, that's incredibly kind of you! Its a bit of a shame about the vast unfilled expanse behind it :D 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks, Craig, that's incredibly kind of you! Its a bit of a shame about the vast unfilled expanse behind it :D 

Baby steps, baby steps. Just don't get distracted by all those other projects!

Craig.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Baby steps, baby steps. Just don't get distracted by all those other projects!

Craig.

That's the trouble! I had an order of EM track arrive from the EMGS on Saturday, just a couple of points and some flexi, but then I had a trip out to my LMS and came back with a filled shopping list plus a Bachmann BR(W) Auto Trailer! Oops! Good job Grainge & Hodder haven't responded to my baseboard enquiry yet.....

In other news, I also ordered some Eduard etch, a Montex mask set and a Falcon canopy for my long-suffering Matchbox 50 Brewster Buffalo so maybe, just maybe, I might get something done to that poor little thing! :D 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

A little more progress has been made.

The quay wall extension mentioned above has been cobbled together and added. I've deliberately used a different pattern of stone sheet as I want it to look "added on". Most of the stonework has been painted as well, the idea being that it's similar rather than identical, again to look like it's been added. A brickwork capping will be made and a little warehouse to go on top. The warehouse is going to look like it's been extended as well, all a bit Heath Robinson :D

In other news, I've had an email to tell me that the points have been made, so I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival now :)

More photos when I've done a bit more!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow that stone work looks wonderful Mark and is goingvtoblook amazing with the wash and high tide marking. Brilliant work fella.

Chris

Thanks, Chris, that's incredibly kind of you! :) I'm planning to get some more done over the weekend (along with my Matchbox 50 GB Buffalo and Turning Japanese GB Ki-84!) but Jane and I deliberately aren't going anywhere!

I think I mentioned that the pointwork has been built so hopefully that'll arrive fairly soon and I can think about getting the rest of the track down and wired. I've got some 5mm foamboard that I'm going to cover the baseboard with rather than the traditional cork and once that's down I'll firm up the positions of the buildings. It's all been a bit ad hoc so far, and to be honest its definitely not the best way forward :facepalm:

Onward and upward!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

1 hour ago, opus999 said:

Wow, that wall looks fantastic... with the right sort of photographic trickery, you could believe it was the real thing!

Thanks, Opus, that's incredibly kind of you and praise indeed! I'm quite pleased with it as it stands, and a little anxious about adding the green mouldy high-tide line..... I think a bit of practice on some scrap is needed before I commit myself. I'm also preparing myself to add the sludgy mud along the base of the wall, for which I think I'll slightly thin and tint some household decorators filler. Sounds messy..... :D 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Love the evocation of North Devon drizzle on the stonework.  Will the entire display depict a wet day?  (First time I've considered weather on a railway layout: now I think about it, most seems set on sunny summer days.)

Looking forward to the sludge and green slime.  I want to able to smell them from here!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Love the evocation of North Devon drizzle on the stonework.  Will the entire display depict a wet day?  (First time I've considered weather on a railway layout: now I think about it, most seems set on sunny summer days.)

Looking forward to the sludge and green slime.  I want to able to smell them from here!

To be honest, I hadn't actually considered that: the sheen on the paint is just as it has gone on. Buu-uuu-uttttt..... that's actually a very good idea! I'm not sure how I'd achieve it overall, shiny roofs might look a bit odd but perhaps a couple of folk with umbrellas would give the clue. "Just after the rain" with puddles lying around would be definitely do-able, though, and I did intend it to be a winter scene.

Now, I wonder how I can achieve those smells.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

A bit more progress here when I perhaps ought to be concentrating on the Buffalo and Warhawk :D 

As mentioned above, the quay wall build-out has been made and added, and pretty much painted although I may tint a few more of the stones. I've also built a shallow brick plinth, and made the shell of the small warehouse that sits on top. I've got some new brick paper from Scale Model Scenery (no connection etc), which I think is so much better than what I've been using that I'm planning to redo the terraced houses.

Anyway, here it is set up in the dining room behind closed doors (Arthur has taken to sitting on the baseboard if its left flat.....):

IMG-4680.jpg

IMG-4677.jpg

The lucam will be wood framed and planked.

There is enough room behind it to allow "Lyn" to comfortably pass by:

IMG-4679.jpg

All-in-all, I'm pretty pleased with how its coming together although its a bit of a shame about the joint in the brick paper on the end wall. But this is a view that isn't going to seen much, if at all, so I think I can get away with a little trickery to blend it in. Unfortunately I had a little mishap with the window reveal on the top-right front window, which will need a bit of cosmetic work, too. The ground-level joints will need to be blended in when the building is finally fixed in place - some grass/weeds and general detritus (I fort 'e woz jus' a sergeant!) should do the trick.

Thanks for stopping by! :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 6

On 6/8/2022 at 4:55 PM, 2996 Victor said:

I perhaps ought to be concentrating on the Buffalo and Warhawk :D 

I would like to put on record my strong disagreement with this statement. This just keeps getting better and better Mark and I'm sure a spot of simulated grime will serve to disguise the brick joint.

Craig.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I would like to put on record my strong disagreement with this statement. This just keeps getting better and better Mark and I'm sure a spot of simulated grime will serve to disguise the brick joint.

Craig.

Thanks, Craig, that's incredibly kind of you! I've still got quite a way to go, though :) A bit of grime and grunge works wonders, along with early 20thC chimney soot! Ah, the good ol' days!

The new brick paper is, I think, lightyears ahead of the other, so the houses will be getting an external makeover soon. I'm rather hoping my pointwork will turn up soon.....

Cheers,

Mark

On 08/06/2022 at 16:55, 2996 Victor said:

......I'm planning to redo the terraced houses......

Cheers,

Mark

Funny you should say that. I had to drive my wife to the physio yesterday after she hurt her leg. The building was old and the brickwork and mortar lines were lumpy and wiggly exactly like that brick paper you used. I took some pictures, but they aren't hosted anywhere, so can't add them here, but I was amused at the concave and convex shaped bricks and the mortar lines which followed the shape of the bricks! As soon as I saw the building, the brick paper popped straight into my head!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

Funny you should say that. I had to drive my wife to the physio yesterday after she hurt her leg. The building was old and the brickwork and mortar lines were lumpy and wiggly exactly like that brick paper you used. I took some pictures, but they aren't hosted anywhere, so can't add them here, but I was amused at the concave and convex shaped bricks and the mortar lines which followed the shape of the bricks! As soon as I saw the building, the brick paper popped straight into my head!

Hi Stephen,

Sorry to hear about your good lady's misfortune - I hope its not anything serious.

Funny about the brickwork, though! I'd like to have seen a photo for interest's sake. I think the knobbly paper is probably better suited to much older buildings than the ones I'm trying to portray - I'm thinking of my terraces as being mid-Victorian. I shall keep it though as it may come in useful, not like the Noch paper I bought recently: ostensibly for HO and TT, the "bricks" would be oversized in O gauge!

Cheers,
Mark

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Stephen,

Sorry to hear about your good lady's misfortune - I hope its not anything serious.....

Cheers,
Mark

She's strained a muscle or tendon or something in her calf. She's a Girl Guides leader and had her elder 'Ranger' group ten pin bowling. They were into the second game and she was walking towards releasing the ball, when something went twang in her calf! The alley was over near her parents, so they had to rescue her and her car and bring them back to Durham! It wasn't as if she was doing anything particularly strenuous!! It's improving, but she's got another appointment on Tuesday.

Despite the odd cut finger or sanding graze, modelling is a much safer pass-time!!

• Sad 1