Yeoman's Wharf, an OO9 Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Quayside Micro

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mark, wow great catch up,  amazing work and the houses look lovely inside and out and the texture for the walls of pub is inspired.  

Glad you had a great trip in the railway, lovely photos fella.

Hooe you get the hernia sorted soon

Great work

Chris

Thanks, Chris, that's very kind of you! It's a bit of a re-learning curve but it's certainly enjoyable. Things like the interiors are a bit of fun, too :)

Our trip on the railway is always a part of our stay in Lynton; they're doing great things :) 

I had my op yesterday, home again by six pm! Seems weird to not have a tennis ball-sized thing where my navel should have been! It's pretty sore, as you can imagine, but so far so good. I'll be taking it easy for a couple of weeks.

Cheers for now,

Mark

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I had my op yesterday, home again by six pm! Seems weird to not have a tennis ball-sized thing where my navel should have been! It's pretty sore, as you can imagine, but so far so good. I'll be taking it easy for a couple of weeks.

Glad you got the Hernia sorted fella, take it easy now, at least modelling is not a strenuous hobby😉

Chris

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Glad you got the Hernia sorted fella, take it easy now, at least modelling is not a strenuous hobby😉

Chris

Yep, it's all good! I've got a few light modelling jobs lined up for the coming days, little and (hopefully!) often :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Mark, I'm so happy to hear you got the Hernia fixed.  I remember you mentioning it in the past.  My Mom had a post-surgery hernia above her navel in the '80's and I remember it wasn't a pleasant thing for her to live with.  Take care and get well soon!  I will definitely be thinking about you.

Thanks for posting the pics from your trip to the rail way!  It is so idyllic looking.  I love that station with the British red phone booth in the back. :D I know I've mentioned it before, but I live in a desert, complete with tumbleweeds and sage brush.  It has a beauty all its own, to be sure, but not the kind that songs and poems are written about.  I would love to see that area in person someday.  It really looks beautiful.  Plus (historic) railways in the UK seem to have a little more beauty about them.  It seems like the historic US railways were more utilitarian.  To my eyes anyway.

The diorama is looking really sweet.  I love the capstones on the walls.  I think the stonework is incredibly impressive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, opus999 said:

Mark, I'm so happy to hear you got the Hernia fixed.  I remember you mentioning it in the past.  My Mom had a post-surgery hernia above her navel in the '80's and I remember it wasn't a pleasant thing for her to live with.  Take care and get well soon!  I will definitely be thinking about you.

Thanks for posting the pics from your trip to the rail way!  It is so idyllic looking.  I love that station with the British red phone booth in the back. :D I know I've mentioned it before, but I live in a desert, complete with tumbleweeds and sage brush.  It has a beauty all its own, to be sure, but not the kind that songs and poems are written about.  I would love to see that area in person someday.  It really looks beautiful.  Plus (historic) railways in the UK seem to have a little more beauty about them.  It seems like the historic US railways were more utilitarian.  To my eyes anyway.

The diorama is looking really sweet.  I love the capstones on the walls.  I think the stonework is incredibly impressive.

Many, many thanks for your kind words, DJ, they're hugely appreciated. I can really sympathise with your Mum, hope got she got hers sorted out, too?

Jane took some photos of my "protuberance" on Friday morning before I set off for the hospital, just as a reminder - already it's seems impossible! Lots of bruising, sore to move and I'm scared stiff of coughing or sneezing. But other than that, it's all good :) Seriously, though, it's a huge relief to have had it done.

Woody Bay station on the resurgent L&B is in a beautiful spot, although when the weather is grim it's cold, wet and often foggy. Typically English :D They've recently secured a section of track bed that links the current mile-long line to another section they already owned. A new bridge needs to be constructed and then they'll hopefully be able to extend almost another mile. Only 33 more to go!

I would love to visit your part of the world. Deserts are every bit as beautiful; I remember you posted some photos a while ago of a hiking trip you took and they were astoundingly beautiful.

US railroad locomotives do have a more utilitarian, or perhaps workmanlike, appearance but are definitely no less impressive for that. In fact, quite the reverse I would say. For instance, a Denver & Rio Grande K-27 and a British narrow gauge loco alongside each other shows just how impressive! Interestingly, the original L&B "Lyn" was built by Baldwin in Philadelphia, as were the D&RG K-27s.

Many thanks for your kind words also on my efforts at the buildings - I'm quite pleased so far and I think once finished they'll look alright! I could really do with finalising the trackwork, but that will have to wait.

Cheers for now,

Mark

• Like 2

Just caught up with this, great work on the quayside stones. Nice to see a reference to a publication that I was involved with, I'll let Historic England know a builder is using the data in his work 🙂

Don

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

Just caught up with this, great work on the quayside stones. Nice to see a reference to a publication that I was involved with, I'll let Historic England know a builder is using the data in his work 🙂

Don

Hi Don,

Many thanks for your kind words, they're really appreciated! Glad you like the stonework, too - I hope I'll be able to do justice to your work and get the colours right in the end!

Cheers,

Mark

As you may imagine, there's not been much in the way of progress over the last week-and-a-bit! Daisy and Arthur have continued their nursing duties with their customary aplomb.

Seriously, though, I'm well on the way to being mended, but of course it always takes longer than expected (or wished for!).

What I have managed to do over the last few days is commandeer the kitchen table, to which has been stuck a length of wallpaper lining paper measuring the same size as the scenic area of the layout. On this has been drawn the positions of the buildings in progress and the quayside track.

My purpose is to finalise the whole track layout so that I can organise the points I need. I'm going to outsource these to a professional builder so I know that they at least will work :D The points themselves I'm designing on Templot so I know they'll fit.

Hopefully, there'll be a few pics of progress soon.....

Cheers and thanks for looking in!

Mark

• Like 4

Here are a couple of shots of the evolving plan, as scrawled on wallpaper lining paper and stuck down to the kitchen table.....

IMG-20220503-165237132.jpg

IMG-20220503-165251813.jpg

Apologies for the slightly dingy phone camera pictures.

With the exception of the front-most black line which is the edge of the baseboard, the other black lines indicate track centres with Templot point templates in place.

In the middle is a point template which has a few pencil lines emanating: I'm not sure yet how to tackle that area, but it's all very and hoc anyway.

I'm thinking of adding a boiler house and chimney to the building complex at left-back, aka Habberfield's Flour Mill, which would go on the end nearest the Prospect Inn.

The scabby first-generation houses at front-left are there to give an idea of where another building will go to disguise the holes in the sky!

Onward and upward!

Mark

• Like 5

Hope you're recovering well Mark  suitably aided by the nurses😉.  Great idea to use tge time for further planning too.  Does it cost a lot to have someone build your points?  I am interested for future layouts as we are all restricted by points unless we can build them ourselves and that is scary quite frankly!!! I have a couple of point kits that I may try at some point😬

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hope you're recovering well Mark  suitably aided by the nurses😉.  Great idea to use tge time for further planning too.  Does it cost a lot to have someone build your points?  I am interested for future layouts as we are all restricted by points unless we can build them ourselves and that is scary quite frankly!!! I have a couple of point kits that I may try at some point😬

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks, yes, I'm well on the way, now :) it's still got some pretty (awful!) colours around it, but I'm noticing it less and less! Absolutely amazing how the body recovers. The nurses have been a vital part of the process, of course :D

The cost to have the points professionally built isn't cheap, but it's a worthwhile investment for me. Of course, it depends on the complexity, and if it gets built, the Irish Broad Gauge layout I'm planning will have a double slip and a three-way point which I think might make my eyes water.

I've been in touch with a chap called Stephen Freeman, he has a website here that has some info you might be interested in under the Trackwork tab.

Building my own track is something I want to try, and I'll be building some plain track for Yeoman's Wharf. I've never tried point kits, either, but I know they can produce great results.

I've been offered a chance to exhibit Yeoman's Wharf as a work in progress at the end of July, so I really want pointwork that works as well as looking "right". Hence deciding to outsource it to someone competent!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Chris,

Thanks, yes, I'm well on the way, now :) it's still got some pretty (awful!) colours around it, but I'm noticing it less and less! Absolutely amazing how the body recovers. The nurses have been a vital part of the process, of course :D

The cost to have the points professionally built is cheap, but it's a worthwhile investment for me. Of course, it depends on the complexity, and if it gets built, the Irish Broad Gauge layout I'm planning will have a double slip and a three-way point which I think might make my eyes water.

I've been in touch with a chap called Stephen Freeman, he has a website here that has some info you might be interested in under the Trackwork tab.

Building my own track is something I want to try, and I'll be building some plain track for Yeoman's Wharf. I've never tried point kits, either, but I know they can produce great results.

I've been offered a chance to exhibit Yeoman's Wharf as a work in progress at the end of July, so I really want pointwork that works as well as looking "right". Hence deciding to outsource it to someone competent!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark , I will take a look at his site.  I am glad you're recovering well too fella.  Wow a chance to exhibit  that's brilliant news, congratulations.   

I would also like to build some track.  I used to think building locos was scary,  but once I gave it a go it was great fun, I even like white metal soldering now too, no where near as scary as I thought, the points side of things may be similar!!!

Keep up the good work 

Chris 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Mark , I will take a look at his site.  I am glad you're recovering well too fella.  Wow a chance to exhibit  that's brilliant news, congratulations.   

I would also like to build some track.  I used to think building locos was scary,  but once I gave it a go it was great fun, I even like white metal soldering now too, no where near as scary as I thought, the points side of things may be similar!!!

Keep up the good work 

Chris 

Thanks, Chris! :)

I've never exhibited before, so that's a bit scary!

I'm envious of your soldering abilities - I'm pretty hopeless with anything other than a simple joint! Whitemetal runs and hides :D I'll be able to manage plain track, but I really need to up my game before I try any more complex. Etched brass kits seem like they're on the top of Mt Everest.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks, Chris! :)

I've never exhibited before, so that's a bit scary!

I'm envious of your soldering abilities - I'm pretty hopeless with anything other than a simple joint! Whitemetal runs and hides :D I'll be able to manage plain track, but I really need to up my game before I try any more complex. Etched brass kits seem like they're on the top of Mt Everest.....

Cheers,

Mark

Good luck at the exhibition Mark, I am sure you will enjoy.  I used to think the same about etched kits, but then at Folkestone model railway exhibition one year I saw the Airfix City of Truro kit with a fill Branchlines motorising kit chassis  motor etc for £40 so got it and built it and there was no turning back, I watched a DVD showing white metal soldering and saw how easy it is as long as you have a variable temp soldering iron and solder my locos.   The City of Truro kit is in this section on BM, I modelled Bird Class, Jackdaw as it was in the late 1940s not long before its withdrawal as it still had the GWR script on the Tender. Really enjoyed that kit.

Chris

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Good luck at the exhibition Mark, I am sure you will enjoy.  I used to think the same about etched kits, but then at Folkestone model railway exhibition one year I saw the Airfix City of Truro kit with a fill Branchlines motorising kit chassis  motor etc for £40 so got it and built it and there was no turning back, I watched a DVD showing white metal soldering and saw how easy it is as long as you have a variable temp soldering iron and solder my locos.   The City of Truro kit is in this section on BM, I modelled Bird Class, Jackdaw as it was in the late 1940s not long before its withdrawal as it still had the GWR script on the Tender. Really enjoyed that kit.

Chris

Thanks, Chris, I hope so! I need to get some working track and a controller, of course, but at least I've got a loco now :D (not that I've tested it.....). Thanks also for the encouragement on soldering - it really is something I need to learn to do properly. The old Airfix City of Truro is a great kit: I didn't know Branchlines did a chassis kit, though. I might have to look out for one of those. I always fancied a curved-frame Bulldog, but obviously never got round to trying to build one! I'm now going searching for your Jackdaw :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark, no worries  this is a great project you have on the go.  It is manageable which means you don't lose interest which is great.

Branchlines do the whole package including the old Airfix kit I think.  

Chris

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mark, no worries  this is a great project you have on the go.  It is manageable which means you don't lose interest which is great.

Branchlines do the whole package including the old Airfix kit I think.  

Chris

Hi Chris,

thanks, yes - hopefully I'll finish this one! I've got several other rail projects lined up, as you know, and I really want to get my 'plane building going again, too!

Time for a squint at Branchlines website, methinks! :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Chris,

thanks, yes - hopefully I'll finish this one! I've got several other rail projects lined up, as you know, and I really want to get my 'plane building going again, too!

Time for a squint at Branchlines website, methinks! :)

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I don't think they have a website, his details are usually in the adverts of Railway Modeller magazine. 

Chris 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mark,

I don't think they have a website, his details are usually in the adverts of Railway Modeller magazine. 

Chris 

You're absolutely right - there's an online Blogspot page which lists their catalogues and gives an email address to contact them. Basically drop them an email and they'll send PDFs of the catalogues you're interested in. I might check in a recent RM and see if the email address is still valid.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

8 hours ago, opus999 said:

Looks ambitious!  I'm looking forward to seeing this take shape... I like what you've done so far. 

Also... glad to hear that you're recovering quickly!

Many thanks! Yes, I seem to be mending quite well: the hard part is trying to not do anything which is ironic, really, as I'm normally really good at that :D 

Hopefully the layout isn't too ambitious - I'm going to have the point work professionally built which, although it obviously has a cost implication, has a saving in time and hopefully ironing out bugs, not to mention actually learning to do it myself in a short period of time. Now I've got a loco, with a bit of luck it won't be too long before I've got something running!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

The hernia surgery is healing up nicely, which has allowed me to make a little progress with the warehouses at the back of the layout, with the back halves added from 2mm mounting board to the end wing, and small extensions added to the back wing to bring the ridge tiles away from the backscene. I've done the same for Nos.4 and 5 Steampacket Terrace at last.

IMG-4504.jpg

IMG-4503.jpg

Hopefully more soon!

Cheers,
Mark

• Like 5