WW2 NW Europe diorama

Npal21

Here is a WIP shot of a diorama set in Normandy 1944. As the title suggests it will include a house, a small orchard or veggie garden and a tree as a basic description. A churchill or firefly tank will be included as well as many other details. 

Here is a picture of the almost completed house. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Npal21
  • Like 10

Hello,

The details made are very attractive, well done. 👍

Speaking of Normandy, I am terribly sorry, but there are no vineyard. The climate is favorable for green grass and apples, but not for grapes.:fraidnot:

There are very few brick houses, too.

The houses are made with stones,

20160610.jpg

roofs are often made with corrugated sheets:

20170910.jpg

Walls look the same in towns and villages

dsc_0110.jpg

Regards (from Normandy!)

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 2

Hi @Snafu35, I hope you are well!  

Thank you very much for the information, I am happy to be corrected at any point. These are great pics by the way!!  Very jealous you are so close to all these great references!

Fortunately I can easily change the name of the build/ dio, im thinking "vin". 

Its amazing how much you research a topic online to find no answers, but I should always ask the locals 1st lol. Where is the closest wine region to Normandy? I work in a vineyard just south of Adelaide and would love to get over to France one day for "research " purposes haha 🍾🍷

Edited by Npal21
  • Like 1

• Npal21 changed the title to "vin" ww2 vineyard diorama

Hello Nick, 

I'm glad I can bring you something.

Here is a map of the wine regions of France:

20211210.jpg

I would say that the vines closest to Normandy are those of the Loire Valley; Muscadet, Saumur, Bourgueil, Chinon ...

The English troops did not descend so low, it was Patton's army that liberated this region.

But the most important thing is to have fun, and such a setting would be great for the magnificent Churchill you are building. What a job in the turret! :yikes::clap2:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

Edited by Snafu35
Adding precision
  • Like 1

Last weekend I made up a wire tree, my 1st ever. I used 2 different guages of wire for different sized branches/limbs. 

Today i have added a a base coat of Vallejo earth texture. It is slightly flexible compared to plaster. 1st coat is a light coat to fill in the gaps between winds. I will let dry for a few days before the next coat and shaping.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Npal21
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 2:41 PM, Npal21 said:

These are great pics by the way!!  Very jealous you are so close to all these great references!

With Google maps and street view great references are only a click away. As an example, I am working on a project set in the Normandy area and needed references for a building. After a little bit of searching and going up and down various streets I found this building which works for what I need. Caution is needed to not use a modern building as a historic reference, but, with some consideration it isn't too difficult. 

Matt

• Thanks 1

I have managed to prime and get the base layer down on the tree. I then dry brushed it with various browns and a dark grey. Once dry i applied a brown wash over the tree to blend it all. 

I have painted the freshly snapped branch a light wood colour. Still lots to do but looking more real every day. 

spacer.png

Edited by Npal21
  • Like 3