RAF roundel red and blue

Simon Cornes

Only a quick question- can you recommend enamels in the correct shades please? Xtracolour don’t seem to do, neither do Colourcoats. At a push if use acrylics but I’m having no joy when searching for bright red and blue!

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

Only a quick question- can you recommend enamels in the correct shades please? Xtracolour don’t seem to do, neither do Colourcoats. At a push if use acrylics but I’m having no joy when searching for bright red and blue!

Thank you.

Both Xtracolor and Colourcoats do RAF Roundel Reds and Blues

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Paints&q=roundel*&fkCOMPNAME[]="Colourcoats"&fkCOMPNAME[]="XtraColor"

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Paints&q=red*&fkTNAME[]="Enamel"&fkCOMPNAME[]="XtraColor"&fkCOMPNAME[]="Colourcoats"&ssearch=bs538&

Note that  Roundel Red BS538 in Xtracolor as Post Office Red (X031) and BS now lists this as Cherry Red

I have X31 BS538 Post Office Red which I think is correct for the red and there is X030 RAF Post War Roundel Blue BS110 enamel

IIRC there was no such thing as 1930's 'Bright' shades - they were the same as the postwar shades. I think there's been at least one thread about this.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 1:35 PM, rossm said:

I have X31 BS538 Post Office Red which I think is correct for the red and there is X030 RAF Post War Roundel Blue BS110 enamel

IIRC there was no such thing as 1930's 'Bright' shades - they were the same as the postwar shades. I think there's been at least one thread about this.

Thanks Ross. It would appear as though X031 is no longer available although X030 is!

It seems as though it may have to be  Colourcoats ACRN27 and 39 then? 

Sounds good, I always use Colourcoats on my RAF markings and it turns out nice but I mainly model WW2 subjects so use the duller ones, below is ACRN22 and ACRN31.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1