F-105D upgrades

Pat C

Is there a guide anywhere to at what point in time the various upgrades to the F-105D airframe got implemented or became standard fit for new build aircraft? I am thinking of things like the fuselage side scoops, the venting on the gun housing, the thin cable duct along the spine, various scabbed armour plating etc?

Pat

1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

Thunderchief: The Complete History of the Republic F-105 by Dennis Jenkins

ISBN-10 1580072593
Published by Specialty Press

The Bible on the F-105.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1580072593/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_S4NPRP6KZ3R1HWQDJEK7

Yep- I can second that- it is the Bible for all things Thud. I owe @RidgeRunner big-time for telling me about the book, which I bought and have read and re-read more times than I care to admit!

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Yep- I can second that- it is the Bible for all things Thud. I owe @RidgeRunner big-time for telling me about the book, which I bought and have read and re-read more times than I care to admit!

Mike

And for an operational perspective you can accompany that with this excellent tome: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Republic-F-105-Thunderchief-Squadron-Histories/dp/0764316680

As Mike @72modeler says, Denis’ book is superb and covers everything about the Thud from a tech angle. There are many others too - I have quite a collection of them ;). Denis has also been very helpful to me in my research.

Martin

• Like 1

Whatever happened to "Don't ask, don't tell?" :giggle:

Mike

7 hours ago, Hook said:

I orderd both books, I will shamelessly blame you guys when my girlfriend asks.  ;) 

Cheers,

Andre 

You might as well add Roll Call-Thud, by Campbell and Hill. Has the history of every F-105 built and at least one photo of almost every one! Missus 72modeler has a bounty on @RidgeRunner's  head, as she says it's his fault I am buying and reading more references instead of actually building something and putting a small dent in my stash! :giggle:

(Been married now for 41 years and they have been  five of the happiest years of my life!) If she sees this, I'm a dead duck!

• Haha 4

😂

I have the Roll Call book but for the money I wouldn’t buy it again :(.

Has the history of every F-105 built“ - not really. If you have the two quoted earlier you have all you need, in my view.

Martin

10 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Mike

Thanks Mike and Space Ranger. I’ve a Thunderchief to do so Santa just added another book to the delivery schedule 🎅 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I have the Roll Call book but for the money I wouldn’t buy it again

As a modeling reference, I totally agree, but I snagged mine on that well-known bookseller site  at a bargain price!

Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I've got a nagging feeling that I already found that somewhere along the way, but thanks!  I wish there were a volume about the WWII fighters (assuming there isn't).

Haven't seen one on WWII fighters but (for those that may be interested) there's a volume of post-WWII bombers:

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA209273.pdf

• Thanks 1