Revell 1/48 F-4F Phantom II (2003) - Options?

Ghostbase

Back in 2003 Revell released a 1/48th F-4F Phantom II marked as a JG-74 'Mölders' Anniversary bird in special markings (see photo below). Scalemates shows that this was definitely a Hasegawa base re-box, maybe their F-4F which was originally released in the early 80's? Thanks to the long defunct Modelzone I was able to obtain a couple of these kits at sale price and I would like options to build them as F-4E model Phantoms in USAF/ANG/AFRES service in the 1980s era. I am also interested in the F-4E models which were supplied to Iran and Israel but I need to research these further.

The Revell kit has the F-4E slatted wings and has the unslotted stabilisers. It has oblong 'bumps' on the top wing. It does not have the later TISEO optical tracking camera port. It also doesn't appear to be the later ICE version. I am not worried about the cockpit or weapons.

So, can I build this as an F-4E? I know that I cannot build a Vietnam era F-4E because they had 'hard' wings. I guess that a late model F-4E is out due to no TISEO and maybe no frameless windshield? I do have several donor kits for slotted stabilisers so that is not a problem, nor is armament.

Michael

51719026455_204178b23f_o.jpg20211201_213452 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

You can build it as an F-4E if you replace the stabs with the slotted type (Hypersonic Models might be of help here). With that you will get a mid/late F-4E with slatted wings, but no TISEO or ARN-101, so basically any FY68-69 airframes (plus earlier ones once they had received slatted wings).

Jens

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jens said:

You can build it as an F-4E if you replace the stabs with the slotted type (Hypersonic Models might be of help here). With that you will get a mid/late F-4E with slatted wings, but no TISEO or ARN-101, so basically any FY68-69 airframes (plus earlier ones once they had received slatted wings).

Jens

Thanks Jens, much appreciated 👍

27 minutes ago, Scout712 said:

It can be done. Hypersonic models provides some very nice slotted stabs. And the AN/ARN-101 mods can be done with some scratch building skills.

I did it about six years ago.

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=16391

B/r

Michael

Thanks for the link, that is a complete information resource in itself!

Michael

On 12/1/2021 at 11:37 PM, Ghostbase said:

It has oblong 'bumps' on the top wing.

Do you mean the bulges over the wing roots, or small bulges over the position where the main landing gear legs attach? 

If the latter, these are Navy models only and ought to be removed for an E. 

Cheers,

Andre

4 hours ago, Hook said:

Do you mean the bulges over the wing roots, or small bulges over the position where the main landing gear legs attach? 

If the latter, these are Navy models only and ought to be removed for an E. 

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks Andre. I think I mean over the position where the main landing gear legs attach. My understanding is that the the bulges over the wing roots applied to all Phantoms except the F-4A, F-4B and the F-4N.

I did build one of these Revell (Hasegawa) F-4F kits many years ago, probably 2005 ish when I wasn't too worried about detail, this is OOB but painted and decaled as a 57th FIS F-4E out of Keflavik, Iceland. A couple of photos:-

51722493946_fa7e8e38c9_o.jpg20211203_225907 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

51723369305_f435cdda45_o.jpg20211203_225930 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Looks like I didn't much worry about filler way back then 😖 On the plus side the airbrushed ADC grey and metallics went on well as did the decals. These photos clearly show the position where the main landing gear legs attach and that doesn't look right for an F-4E to me. It also shows the slatted wings, the unslotted stabilisers, as well as what look like AIM-9J Sidewinders which I understand would be correct for the F-4F.

Michael

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

As well as what look like AIM-9J Sidewinders which I understand would be correct for the F-4F.

Michael

The J Siderwinders are not correct for the F. Early on, the F carried AIM-9 B (although improved ones produced by the German company Bodensee Gerätetechnik) with Aero-3 launchers as  USAF F-4 (except C models and late E/G). With the Peace Rhine  modification in the early 80s, LAU-7 rails as carried by NAVY F-4 (and USAF C'c) were introduced , together with the AIM-9L. Again this missile was produced and updated by BGT and evolved stage by stage into the AIM-9Li-2 (i for improved) in the 2000 years. With ICE the APG-65 came along with Laser INS , different shaped stone and AIM-120B.

Back to the topic. The J's are identical in shape to the P version of the sidewinder which was carried by the USAF E models through the bigger parts of the 70s and 80s.

Michael

Edited by Scout712

7 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

I think I mean over the position where the main landing gear legs attach.

Yup, those aren't on the real thing. The Navy birds had these added to cope with the added stress of carrier landings.

See here for a good reference picture.

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks Michael and Andre for the replies and information. Out of curiosity I have opened one of the Revell F-4F kits in the stash to take a look at what was in the kit.

The AIM-9 Sidewinders were those supplied in the kit on sprue H which also has the unslotted stabilators attached, it is marked as for the F-4 C/D/F.

The wings are on sprue M which is marked as for the F-4E/F/G/S. I checked the instruction sheet and it tells the modeller to remove these main landing gear bulges (which clearly I didn't bother to do!).

I intend to use the 1/48th Speed Hunter Graphics "USAF F-4E Gunfighter Phantoms" decal sheet which depicts 68-03xx, also 68-04xx and 68-05xx serial F-4Es operated in the mainly late 80's by the 347th TFW as well as several ANG units. With what I now know this kit provides a good basis for an F-4E from one of these units.

Michael

• Like 1