Mission Models Flat Clear Problems

BleedingBlue

I have quite a few of the Mission Models water based acrylic paints and I am overall happy with their performance.  I purchased some of their flat clear to do the matte coat and the end of a build and I'm not impressed with the performance.  The problem is if I airbrush down a typical light wet coat it dries glossy.  The only way to get the dull look I expect is to airbrush a very small, almost invisible coat of the paint.  This is a nice matte, however, it is a nightmare to see and if you get too close you start getting a gloss coat.  In addition, I'm seeing buildup of "dust" which is little chunks of the flat clear that adhere to the surface and look like dust has stuck to the model.  I have gotten this to work OK on 2 builds but I'm not happy.

Anyone have any tips to make this perform better?  Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

BB,

Suggest you contact John Miller at Model Paint Solutions (modelpainstsol.com).

Among other things, MPS is a Mission Model Paint dealer, and John has written extensively about the best ways to use/apply MM paints (and other brands, too).

The MPS website and newsletters also have a tremendous amount of information re painting, finishes, and airbrushing.  Definitely worth checking out.

Regards,

Christopher Child