1:48 scale aircrew for open-cockpit aircraft?

bootneck

I'm looking for 1:48 scale pilots/aircrew figures for WW2 era aircraft, such as the Walrus, Swordfish and Gladiator etc.  I did have a look on Scalemates but wasn't successful.  Does anyone know who might produce them?  I have a couple kits to build but the aircrew are not much more than humanoid representation.

cheers,
Mike

5 hours ago, bootneck said:

Does anyone know who might produce them?

Do you mean seated?  some kits, especially older kits,  had pilot figures,  old (late 70's era) Airfix did, and they are often quite neatly sculpted. (based on the ones from their 1/24th kits) 

Some of the newer kits have them as well,   eg the new tool Airfix Spitfire Vb/Mk.I kit

https://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/kits/airfix05125reviewbg_1.htm

17_fs.jpg

Most of these never get used, so may well be worth asking in the wanted section for leftover figures,  while as other have said, there are pilot figures, they are often for diorama use,  and you want seated crew, which are what you tend to get in kits that have them.

HTH

https://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/kits/airfix05127reviewbg_1.htm

the new tool Hurricane has one as well

16_fs.jpg

ONe that would be worth asking for for a Swordfish would be the Airfix Mosquito navigator,   

sprue4.jpg

Not very clear, but the one of the right has his head turned, and a map on his lap, memory tells me well sculpted....but it's a been a while since I had a good look! 

The Tamiya Lancaster has crew in flight suits, which might be more appropriate for pre-war/early war. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Troy, I hadn't thought of figures from kits; although I cannot afford to go buying kits just for the figures.  I am looking for standing and seated aircrew for two different dioramas.  That's a good idea to ask for unwanted figures though and I shall ask in the wanted section.

cheers,
Mike

4 hours ago, bootneck said:

I am looking for standing and seated aircrew for two different dioramas. 

Scalemates is often a good starting point

for availability and economy,  

211639-12155-26-pristine.jpg

these also got reboxed by Revell, 

131855-10941-pristine.jpg

and ended up being bundled into some ICM Spitfire boxings

These era maybe harder to get

115411-16797-31-pristine.jpg

4 hours ago, bootneck said:

That's a good idea to ask for unwanted figures though and I shall ask in the wanted section.

They are junk to many builders,  but hopefully some of the packrats spares box them. 

Not many standing pilots,  though Tamiya did a few

The Tamiya Lanc has 5,  the Bufflao had a good standing pilot in tropical dress.

329_pic3.jpg

If  I'm honest, I probably won't use all the ones I have so I'll see what I can find. 

HTH

I'm looking for 1:48 scale pilots/aircrew figures for WW2 era aircraft, such as the Walrus, Swordfish and Gladiator etc.  I did have a look on Scalemates but wasn't successful.  Does anyone know who might produce them?  I have a couple kits to build but the aircrew are not much more than humanoid representation.

Funny you should ask this as I was looking for something simular for my BoB diorama.

Maybe not RAF personnel, but it's British and here they have some nice figures. I suppose planes need guarding...

The Tamiya Lanc has 5, 

But only 1 standing if recall correctly. The rest are all in seated or (f)lying positions.

Thanks Troy.  I did see some of those on Scalemates, namely the ICM set.  One set is all action scenes; however, I think I could do some whittling with the others, to get them into RN personnel settings.  Obviously no dog or female onboard seagoing ships back then.  Whilst on the subject of RN crew, does anyone know of figures for them, especially officers in their blues?

cheers,
Mike

24 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Whilst on the subject of RN crew, does anyone know of figures for them, especially officers in their blues?

maybe in resin or white metal,  the Tamiya Lanc has a figure in smart uniform, but with a side cap,  but maybe modifiable.   The other with a full sheepskin flight suit would maybe good for a Swordfish pilot?  

2925_2_tam61112_3.jpg

I'm not that much into figure modelling, but now and then have a look for the supply. Thanks to 3D-printing, there are a lot small manufacturers rising, I usually look at a german online shop "dersockelshop.de" for an overview.

As this might not be too useful for you I quickpicked two which might be worth a look:

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/resin-figures/#

https://www.pj-production.be/en/6-figures-1-48

These are of course relatively expensive, so if just some spare figures will do I am sure others will be willing to share (I have to look myself if I have some in my spares, but guess not fitting in a RN scenario)

Also, seems Tamiya did a figure set for a Mosquito/light Utilty car boxing

1595_2_tam89786_1.jpg

but not in the Tilly only kit, 

1595_1_tam89786_2.jpg

Some might have these,  or know if they were added into another Tamiya kit.

One point, Tamiya figures are often on the small side for 1/48, but are well sculpted.

Ah! that's the one, the officer in standing pose.  I could soon adapt one of those to a Naval Officer.  Thanks for pointing that out Troy and I shall keep a looksee for one.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mike - only just seen this thread.  The obvious place is the Tamiya Swordfish.  I have three of them (Mk.1, Mk.2 & Floatplane), each of which contains three seated aircrew figures.  You're welcome to some of them if you'd like - I will never use more than 3 of them at the most.

If you'd like them, PM me with your address and I'll pop them in the post.

Crisp

• Thanks 1

Hello Des,

thanks for this,  it would appear (hopefully) that I shall be sorted for seated aircrew from Crisp; :yahoo: however, any standing figures would be very, very welcome indeed please. :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,
Mike

Bit of an oopsy , and perhaps after all not what you are looking for.

Memory is not what it was , dug them out and turns out that it is two completely different figures rather than two of the same pose as I expected (had it in my mind that both had low slung chutes and raised arms) and while the one on the left is definitely WWII I suspect it is Luftwaffe from the headgear/boots and on the right I think is perhaps 1950s US.

Maybe not what you are looking for but if you can use either/or/both for any other projects drop me a PM with your address and I will get them off to you.

p?i=de98315bafc8fc074cd5cd7d3b19a018

p?i=9985059d5ab0f5c2c90f65c0c39587a4

• Like 1

Hi Des,

my figure modifying skills are virtually zero and you are right in their types.  I shall forego those but thank you very much for considering them for my use.

cheers,
Mike