Gravity Spain Issues

McG

I’m having some issues spraying Gravity Spain paints.

I’ve read the advice to spray in thin coats due to how hot they are and am applying them as thinly as I can but am still having some issues.

1. Paint is spraying beautifully and then next thing I get multiple thick paint spots from spitting at once. I’ve tried varying pressure and amount of paint I’m letting into the airbrush and am still getting this issue. 

2. Some of the plastic seems to be slightly crazing, despite spraying thin layers.

Any advice on how to prevent 1 from happening. I can probably rectify this by sanding or stripping the paint.

As for 2, can this be repaired or am I looking at having to scrap the kit.

Never used Gravity but sprayed zero paints which are pretty much the same, on the spitting side the paint is very thin and can build up in the nozzel cap, pretty much like any really thinned paint and then getting thrown onto the model. Start your air off the model so any build up gets blown out before you go onto the model and keep checking the nozzel for build up.

Another one is remove the cap, but be careful you don't damage the needle.

Have you primed the model or spraying the paint straight onto the plastic, as zero aways say onto a primed surface.

Is it the the plastic crazing or just the paint not sticking to the plastic, as I've never had a problem with laqure paint or primer crazing the plastic.

Just a thought, is it a Bandai kit by any chance as their plastic can be a problem with hot thinners

Thanks.

It’s a Revell kit.

I primed it with about 4 coats of Mr Surfacer 1500. 

I hadn’t considered paint build up on the nozzle. 

I sanded one of the problem areas back to bare plastic to check and it appears the paint hasn’t caused crazing down to the plastic. I’ll therefore try stripping the paint and re-priming it before either re-spraying with the Gravity paint or I will get some Tamiya LP or Mr Hobby paints that I am more familiar with using. 

• Like 1