DH Vampire F.3 - 1/48 Airfix

I was immediately interested in this kit when I first heard it was due to be the subject of a new large scale model. Upon receiving it, I'm impressed with the fine detail and quality.

Being my local airfield, where as a lad in the 70's I frequented the flight line buildings where 601 Squadron used to be based, this is the only scheme to pick.

IMG_20211201_190918_981~2

Assembly has been straightforward. You decide if you want to build it with undercarriage raised or lowered at this first stage.

IMG_20211201_190817_777

IMG_20211201_190825_451

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 23

Looking forward to this build David.  Looks a lovely kit.

37 minutes ago, 12jaguar said:

As I'm hoping that Father Christmas is bringing me one of these (I've been a good boy this year), I'm watching with interest

John

You could get one and stick a raffle ticket on the box and say look what I won today 😉 

Chris 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

This is a super little kit; I have two on the go at the moment , one as an out-of-the-box F. 3 and the other as an FB. 5.  The engineering is very good, to the extent that the assembled port boom will sit firmly in its location without cement (I think I slightly over-sanded the joint at the fore end of the starboard boom) and there’s no slop in the fit of the tailplane to the booms.  The choice of instrument panels, either with or without decal instruments is, I think, a first for an Airfix kit.  

Now all I need for it is a nice after-market template to make cutting the after-market underwing serials as idiot-proof as Airfix have made the building of this kit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Don't leave it to him, he gets busy this time of year. Order one and smuggle it in like it's a Christmas present!

Pretty much the plan I've already set in motion!  This was one kit I didn't want to wait for- the new Airfix kits take far too long to find their way this side of the pond.  (My friend is still whimpering about the stack of Chipmunks he "needs", but this was a higher priority for me.)

Since I'm so eager for the newness, I've been trying NOT to look at any build threads, to avoid that, "Haven't I seen all this before?" feeling.  But seeing who was doing this one, I'm sure it'll be revisited as a valuable resource... no pressure.

bob

• Like 2

14 hours ago, stever219 said:

This is a super little kit; I have two on the go at the moment , one as an out-of-the-box F. 3 and the other as an FB. 5.  The engineering is very good, to the extent that the assembled port boom will sit firmly in its location without cement (I think I slightly over-sanded the joint at the fore end of the starboard boom) and there’s no slop in the fit of the tailplane to the booms.  The choice of instrument panels, either with or without decal instruments is, I think, a first for an Airfix kit.  

Now all I need for it is a nice after-market template to make cutting the after-market underwing serials as idiot-proof as Airfix have made the building of this kit.

My dad used to paint the real things and if one was on jack's with the wheels up he was always happy to get a shout from the airmen responsible.

Keith

• Like 1

While I'm not going to use this chap in the build, I wanted to ask a couple of questions about what appears to be "generic 50's-60's jet pilot"

The photo references I've seen for Vampire pilots range from wearing leather flying helmets and goggles, to later bone domes. Also, the flying suit and safety gear evolves over time.

What is most appropriate for a 1952 squadron?

IMG_20211202_123925_154~2

Screenshot_20211202-124630~2

Screenshot_20211202-124524~2

• Like 4

Due to the enclosed nature of the Vampire cockpit it's easier to paint the parts before the top and bottom halves are glued together.

The cockpit and panels are black and the seat is a rich red-brown.

I've also glued the tailplane, elevator and rudders in place. All of which fitted beautifully.

IMG_20211202_183154_856~2

Before the upper/lower wing parts are glued together, this is the best time to fill the space behind the pilots seat and Infront of the intake ducting with nose weight. 

• Like 11

David, good start, I shall be following this as I make mine.

There's a couple of things on the kit I don't like, mine has sink marks on the upper wing at the root near the trailing edge above the flap.  Secondly, the torque links on the main undercarriage are solid, something I'll need to sort out.

Regarding the seat, the pictures in this link show a leather back pad, is this typical of RAF aircraft?

Regarding your choice of pilot, AFAIK Bone Domes didn't come into RAF service until the Sabre entered service, I could be wrong of course.  I'd go with the WWII style flying helmet for a RAuxAF Vampire F.3 from the early 1950's.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Wez said:

David, good start, I shall be following this as I make mine.

There's a couple of things on the kit I don't like, mine has sink marks on the upper wing at the root near the trailing edge above the flap.  Secondly, the torque links on the main undercarriage are solid, something I'll need to sort out.

Regarding the seat, the pictures in this link show a leather back pad, is this typical of RAF aircraft?

Regarding your choice of pilot, AFAIK Bone Domes didn't come into RAF service until the Sabre entered service, I could be wrong of course.  I'd go with the WWII style flying helmet for a RAuxAF Vampire F.3 from the early 1950's.

Yes, this leather back pad is fitted onto these seat backs. It's mostly brown, but I've seen some black leather ones too.

Thanks for the pilot advice. I'm not using the pilot in this, but I will in another future build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve not quite finished putting the cockpits together and I’m wondering if the cylinder mounted on the cockpit bulkhead to the right of the pilot’s seat is a fire extinguisher and, if so, what colour should it be?  I’m torn between red and brass at present, but any input would be appreciated.

• Like 1

These are my original Vampire FB.5 instrument panels on display in the North Weald airfield museum for colour reference.

It has the earlier instrument fit common to the F.3 so should provide good reference. There are only three small areas of colour. The yellow oil temperature gauge (lower LH panel), the red on the oxygen pressure gauge, and RAF blue on the camera footage indicator and Type 89 controller (lower RH panel).

IMG_20170715_124004~2

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, stever219 said:

I’ve not quite finished putting the cockpits together and I’m wondering if the cylinder mounted on the cockpit bulkhead to the right of the pilot’s seat is a fire extinguisher and, if so, what colour should it be?  I’m torn between red and brass at present, but any input would be appreciated.

The part you refer to does look like a Graviner fire extinguisher, which could be brass. But literally every single piece of kit I've seen in single seat Vampires over the years is black.

Also, for the record of anyone wants to make an FB.9 from this kit, there is ducting from the extended intake fairing that runs through this same location for the tropical air-conditioning.

• Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, David A Collins said:

The part you refer to does look like a Graviner fire extinguisher, which could be brass. But literally every single piece of kit I've seen in single seat Vampires over the years is black.

Also, for the record of anyone wants to make an FB.9 from this kit, there is ducting from the extended intake fairing that runs through this same location for the tropical air-conditioning.

Thanks for mentioning the ducting, I'd noticed the pipework in the photos linked in my thread of a Vampire preserved in New Zealand, I was going to ask whether that was part of the FB.9 tropicalisation modification.

I don't suppose you have any clear photos of it or even a figure from the AP?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Wez said:

Thanks for mentioning the ducting, I'd noticed the pipework in the photos linked in my thread of a Vampire preserved in New Zealand, I was going to ask whether that was part of the FB.9 tropicalisation modification.

I don't suppose you have any clear photos of it or even a figure from the AP?

Sorry, I don't have an AP covering the FB.9.