453rd BG Museum Build - USAAF 4th FG Spitfire (Tamiya 1/48)

I can't even begin to come close to the build quality you've demonstrated here. Frankly, I'm overwhelmed. Top notch work doesn't begin to do justice to what you've accomplished here.

• Thanks 1

That looks like a Spitfire. Too often we see models that look like models - and, yes, we can appreciate the work that went into them but they still look like a model.

Your work looks like the real thing. Job done (very well).

• Thanks 1

Excellent work indeed Steve, I'll hopefully get to see it in reality at the 453rd museum one day. Shouldn't it be moved to the completed section of your signature though?

James

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for the comments all.

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

Shouldn't it be moved to the completed section of your signature though?

Done now TVM James :blush:

11 hours ago, Dave Spencer said:

Loving the exhausts. What methods did you use?

11 hours ago, DOD said:

As for the exhausts - stunning.  I, too, would love to know how they were done.

Not too much of a faff.  Well maybe a tad of a faff - but it was fun :D

Primed then airbrushed the exhausts with alclad aluminium:

33BF4FA9-234F-426C-B336-7875ACCC48A7

Then airbrushed very thinned Tamiya Nato Black over the inner body sections of the individual exhausts and over the outer sections of the front exhausts.  This photo is a bit dark and the black coat wasn't as dense as it looks here:

40108FA9-16F8-4876-9F54-2778B1552264

Then airbrushed very thinned Tamiya Red Brown over the top of the black and over outer sections of the middle and rear individual sections.

1728611D-7DE0-4B1C-972D-892F88963549

And after that I used Tamiya Weathering Master pigments various - mainly Oil Stain, Soot and Burnt Red - but basically I just played about until the exhausts looked suitably variegated and as much like the WW2 colour photographs I had in front of me on the iPad screen (like the one above) as I could manage.

CED70D4F-7C64-4146-A7B9-4422A86B7A39

Finally I did a very light black oil pin wash to get some of the moulded in detail to 'pop' a little and rubbed the edges a bit with a cotton bud to let the aluminium base coat shine through a little.  And then I gave them a semi-gloss clear coat to fix everything.

Simples?

It sounds exhaustive but actually it was quite easy and most importantly it was a fun modelling session sat at the bench with the iPad and mucking about with the colours.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Right. Scrolling down it already started with that seat as a little taste of the skill level involved in this build. But dang, that Spit looks absolutely superb! Great work!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Fritag said:

As I remember the WIP Giorgio @giemme told me to post this one in the RFI!

And it's just as well! Gorgeous interiors, right on par with all the rest of the model :worthy:  :worthy: 

I too did ignore the shape flaws when I built mine, but you took this to a stellar level, nonetheless! :clap: :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Superb!

I watched the Wip as you progressed and really enjoyed watching your Spitfire come together. Congratulations on a great model and thanks for sharing.

Cheers Greg 👍

• Thanks 1

Looks great, as others have said the exhausts and the chipping are extremely well done. I followed along on the wip and made some notes on the technique you used to mottle/dapple the oil paints-will have to give that a go when I get back into doing aircraft!

• Like 1

Great job Steve, love the weathering and chipping,  particularly the exhaust stacks. The old girl looks suitably bruised and battered, I'm sure Jim will be chuffed with this.

Amazing how young 'Gus' Daymond looks in that seated photo......as you say, 22 years of age and given a command.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1